SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Kids' Ark Magazine

Discussion started on

I came across this Christian kids' magazine this morning, and thought I'd share it here.  Looks great, and pays well, too!  Check it out!

http://www.thekidsark.com/

buglady
#1 - September 15, 2007, 12:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
thanks for sharing, Buglady!
#2 - September 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

maryrand

Thank you.

Mary
#3 - September 15, 2007, 01:27 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks for the information, Buglady.  It does look interesting and as you said, the pay is nice.

I was a little surprised at the note they had at the bottom of page 3 in their sample issue.

"By submitting letters, manuscript, article, or photos, you agree that the materials submitted become the sole property of The Kids' Ark and will not be returned and you agree that The Kids' Ark, its assigns and licensees, have been granted the non-exclusive right to use and/or reproduce the materials in any manner and for any purpose."

This seemed a little strange to me.  It's fine if they accept your sub and pay for it, but this sounds like its theirs even if they don't. 

Did you have any thoughts about this?
Ev
#4 - September 15, 2007, 08:13 PM

Oohhh...I didn't see that.  That sounds quite worrisome. 

I do see that same type of disclaimer in lots of mags, though, like Family Fun, for example.  I think it's in there for the kid submissions, but the wording in this case does seem to apply to adult manuscripts, doesn't it?  Perhaps it would be worth an e-mail to the editor before submitting?

buglady
#5 - September 16, 2007, 05:35 AM

I've been getting e-mails from the editor.

Here's the latest schedule: 
Theme                 Submission Deadline               Estimated Publication Date
Prayer                   Oct. 12, 2007                                     Sept. 2008
Grace                    Dec. 1, 2007                                      Dec. 2008

I have't submitted yet.  Here's another part of the email:
"As you send your submissions, please be aware that The Kids' Ark requires 1st time NA rights and worldwide and electronic rights. Along with your submission, please e-mail an acknowledgement of these terms. Accepted submissions earn $100."

#6 - September 16, 2007, 06:00 AM

I just sent her an e-mail for clarification.  I'll post when I hear back.
#7 - September 16, 2007, 06:03 AM

cdb

Thank you for this discussion. As always, you all keep me informed and help me learn about the market.  I appreciate you all so much.

Carole
#8 - September 16, 2007, 06:24 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Inspired, your email is consistent with what's printed in their guidelines on their website:

"Each accepted story pays $100 for First Time World-Wide rights as well as Electronic rights with rights to reprint at a later date. $25 will be paid per story for reprints."

But their note in the magazine itself just doesn't make sense to me.  Not only the part about unaccepted subs being theirs, but also the part about saying the subs beome sole property of TKA and that they have non-exclusive rights to them.  To me those terms are contradictory.  If it's non-exclusive then the author still retains the right to market the piece elsewhere; it's still theirs.  I don't see how it can be the sole property of the publisher and still be "non-exclusive."

Ev
#9 - September 16, 2007, 09:52 AM

aniprof

Perhaps that's a misprint on the website?
#10 - September 16, 2007, 02:29 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks for sharing!  The people on this board are  :angel

#11 - September 16, 2007, 06:50 PM
Blessings!

DebS
(Granny Deb)

She e-mailed me:

Hello Stephanie,

Only those submissions that are accepted and published do we maintain first rights for. Those that are rejected are retained by the author.

I hope that helps!
Blessings,
Joy

Joy Mygrants
The Kids' Ark
#12 - October 07, 2007, 04:42 AM

I submitted a story last week and have heard nothing... no acknowledgment of the email being received, and no response to my request for sample stories to be emailed. Has anyone else actually submitted anything? Did you get a reply back?
Thanks!
#13 - October 11, 2007, 08:06 PM

I haven't yet, but she has sent out e-mails saying that she's backlogged sometimes, so I would expect it to take longer sometimes.
#14 - October 12, 2007, 03:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I requested a sample story on Sept. 16th and didn't receive an e-mail back until Oct. 5th. So maybe just hang tight for a couple of weeks.

good luck!
Amy
#15 - October 12, 2007, 06:37 AM
ANNIE B. MADE FOR TV, Running Press Kids 2018
MAURICE THE UNBEASTLY, Sterling 2017
SOPHIE'S ANIMAL PARADE, Sky Pony 2015
MARATHON MOUSE, Sky Pony 2012

I just got a reply to my request for guidelines and sample story, if anyone is interested.  She also listed the next two upcoming themes.  Just pm me and I'll forward them to you.

buglady
#16 - January 28, 2008, 04:16 PM

Members: