SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Little Lutheran

Discussion started on

maryrand

Thought I'd share another market....The Little Lutheran, which was launched just this summer.  It is a magazine for children 0-6.  I just found out I have a piece coming out with them in November.  The pay is generous, and the editor Elizabeth Hunter is incredibly nice.

Here is the link:
http://www.thelittlelutheran.org/little/

:love
Mary
#1 - September 18, 2007, 07:00 AM

Really?  I e-mailed the editor this past summer, and she implied that they didn't pay much at all.

hmmm.  I may need to put back on my list of possibilities.
#2 - September 18, 2007, 09:18 AM

maryrand

Inspired,

I think that was the case for the first few months, but now it must be a different story (sounds like the publication is really taking off).  Anyway, I think they are a great little magazine, the size and feel of BabyBug but with a Christian purpose.   

Blessings,
Mary

#3 - September 18, 2007, 09:33 AM

BettRest

Thanks for the update.  I did a submission to them today!
#4 - September 18, 2007, 09:58 AM

Pickles

Oh Yay!!!!!!!!

Thank you for passing this on!

#5 - September 18, 2007, 10:12 AM

cdb

Yippee!

Carole
#6 - September 18, 2007, 10:15 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I emailed the editor this past summer as well and got a similar response as Inspired--

"Thanks for your email & your interest in writing! We're not paying many outside writers at the moment, simply because the magazine is new & has yet to succeed. Since it's an art-based magazine, our content budget goes mainly toward art."

Congratulations to you, Mary, on your acceptance!!  And thanks for sharing the potentially changed situation.  Of course, it may be that your piece was just exceptionally outstanding... :dancing:

Hugs,
Ev

#7 - September 18, 2007, 11:50 AM

Pickles

I noticed it does say to query. Also, it says in keeping with Lutheran theology. Remember there can be significant differences between Christian denominations.  Being on the other side of the desk, I always worry about public announcements like this causing editors to get flooded. Just a reminder to read submission guidelines.

Congrats, Mary!!  And thanks again for passing this along. I'll work up some samples as soon as I finish up with other projects.

#8 - September 18, 2007, 12:43 PM

maryrand

I noticed it does say to query. Also, it says in keeping with Lutheran theology. Remember there can be significant differences between Christian denominations.  Being on the other side of the desk, I always worry about public announcements like this causing editors to get flooded. Just a reminder to read submission guidelines.

Good point, Lill!  And thank you!

Happy writing everyone...

Mary
#9 - September 19, 2007, 06:54 AM

BettRest

Hey folks,

I queried her yesterday, and in my haste, forgot to include the attachment.  The website gave several samples of stories, so please check there first.

Ms Hunter said "We're working hard to try to increase
subscriptions, so we can break even. We need to do so before next summer
in order to keep this new little publication going. Anything you, your
congregation or other friends can do to help us get the word out is much
appreciated!....Also, just so you know, we sometimes use a few stories that are 300
words in length, but not often. For our age range (0-6), most stories
are in the 50-150 word range."

Very nice.  I think this magazine will be a nice additon to any sunday school class or friends with young ones.  Not preachy, just sweet stories with nice illustration. 

I'll let you know if she buys anything from me!
-bett
#10 - September 19, 2007, 07:22 AM

Poster Plus
I just have to add that I have a copy of "The Little Lutheran" in front of me and it's top-notch quality, both in content and binding.  It reminds me more of a soft-cover book than a magazine.  Good stuff!  Congratulations, Mary!  I can't wait to read more Blue-Boarders' stories there!
#11 - September 19, 2007, 10:08 AM

cdb

Bettrest, do you typically include an attachment with a query? I'm curious because that's something I've never done, though it makes sense I suppose. If the query interests the recipient, then they can read it quickly. Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Carole
#12 - September 19, 2007, 10:16 AM

Poster Plus
Oh, Carole!  I don't have an answer to your question, but it got me thinking....I feel foolish, because I don't include attachments, either!  I just figured if I got a "yes," I'd then send it.  So, if you've been missing the boat, you're in good company.  Would someone please throw us a life-preserver?!  By the way, has anyone told you your fantastic picture looks a little like Paula Deen?!
#13 - September 19, 2007, 10:20 AM

cdb

That is so funny. My son actually told me I look like her. I didn't even know who she was, because I can't cook and never bothered learning about it. I suppose there is a resemblance, but a BIG distinction is I CAN'T COOK!

I hope someone answers our question. I sent a query letter and used BettRest's method of including an attachment. I'm open to trying new approaches, although I hope it's not looked upon as being unacceptable, though I think it may be.

Carole
#14 - September 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:32 AM by cdb »

BettRest

Carole,

No, I typically don't send attchments with my queries.... too pushy (unless they say it's okay).  But, I guess that was a miscommunication, so she requested right away.  No word yet, except for an exchange of congregation info (I'm Lutheran)

And yes... you do look like Paula Deen (which is totally a wonderful thing!)

Bett
#15 - September 20, 2007, 02:40 PM

cdb

Oh? You mean you must be a Lutheran? Oops, I'm a non-denominational Christian. Guess that leaves me out. Sad.

Carole
#16 - September 20, 2007, 02:53 PM

Pickles

Oh Carole, I don't think you have to be a Lutheran to sub.  I didn't see anything about that. It just said that manuscripts should be in keeping with Lutheran theology.

#17 - September 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:33 PM by Lill »

cdb

Oh!  ;D  Okay, I get it now. Bett wasn't asked if she was a Lutheran, it just came up in conversation. That makes sense.

Thanks for helping me see that. (I thought, at first, that she was required to disclose her membership)

Carole
#18 - September 20, 2007, 04:16 PM

BettRest

Nope- not required, but I did mention it in my cover letter.  Lutherans are pretty easy about being inclusive!
#19 - September 21, 2007, 07:14 AM

maryrand

Nope- not required, but I did mention it in my cover letter.  Lutherans are pretty easy about being inclusive!

Agreed.

Mary
#20 - September 21, 2007, 09:09 AM

Pickles

cdb

Thank you, Lill, great article. Gives a great overview of beliefs and is helpful for anyone who may want to query.

Carole
#22 - September 21, 2007, 12:42 PM

cdb

So I query/subbed on the 19th and have heard nothing back. The only response time listed took only one day. I'm wondering when I may hear back...or did my stupid email end up as spam? sigh
Anybody else hear anything?

Carole
#23 - September 28, 2007, 04:47 AM

Poster Plus
Carole,

I wonder if it went to spam, as I seem to remember you subbed before I did.  Plus, the editor is so quick to respond.  Could you SQ?  That way, if you don't hear back swiftly, it may be another clue that your address is heading to the dastardly filter.

Of course, maybe you're later in hearing because yours is still under consideration!!!!

Let us know what happens.

#24 - September 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 09:13 AM by carrots »

maryrand

Elizabeth, the editor, works three long days a week, then is at home with her family the other days.  So there may be a lapse in time...plus I know she has been working on a tight deadline.  After my initial contact with her, it took several months to hear back about the work I submitted.   

Hang in there.  An answer may be around the corner.

:lov:
Mary
#25 - September 28, 2007, 02:00 PM

cdb

Queried my query today through a different email and SS responded saying they are swamped. I feel bad for bothering them, but at least I know my email server is recognized by them and not seen as spam. Will post when I know.

Carole
#26 - September 28, 2007, 03:00 PM

cdb

Wondering if anyone has heard anything from them lately.   ????

Carole
#27 - November 26, 2007, 03:01 PM

maryrand

Carole,

I have been in contact with the editor recently.  I know they are busy over there.  Are you waiting on a submission?  It may be that they are holding your work for future consideration.  That is what happened to me.  FYI...I had my first piece printed with them this month and they have accepted another piece for January.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Mary

#28 - November 26, 2007, 03:45 PM

cdb

Well, I've been waiting since September 17th.

Carole
#29 - November 26, 2007, 03:46 PM

maryrand

Carole,

I believe I submitted work to them sometime in June and heard back on September 15.  So, I waited a few months, too.  Maybe it's time for a status query?

Mary
#30 - November 27, 2007, 07:19 AM

Members: