SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Spider

Discussion started on

stephwc

Spider's guidelines do not specifically state that they accept mysteries.  THis seems weird to me.  Do they NOT want mysteries? I have a story that could easily be classified as "contemporary fiction" as well as "mystery."  Can I still send it?  I notice that Cricket accepts mysteries, but my story is on the slightly younger side, ideally 8-10 year olds.  Hmm, should I sub to Cricket instead? Does it even matter since all the mags belong to the same company?   :EmoticonHelp2:

Thanks,
Steph
#1 - November 04, 2007, 10:59 AM

stephwc

I think I just answered my own question.  The sample Spider story up on the website is actually a mystery.

#2 - November 04, 2007, 01:47 PM

With the Cricket group, if you send a manuscript to one mag and the editors like it but feel it may be more appropriate for a different age group, they'll pass it on to the right mag. Good luck!  :clover
#3 - November 04, 2007, 06:39 PM

stephwc

Thanks, Lenzi.  That's what I've heard.  I subbed it to Spider today.  Now for the wait.  :snail:

Steph
#4 - November 05, 2007, 03:30 PM

stephwc

Me again. I have another story I'd like to sub to Spider.  But I haven't yet heard about the one I sent in early Nov. Can I sub the new story or must I wait to hear about the Nov. sub first?

Thanks,
Steph
#5 - January 30, 2008, 02:03 PM

Since it hasn't been that long yet, I'd hold off a couple more months. And if you get a personal response or acceptance from your first sub, thanking the editor for it would be a nice introduction for your next cover letter. There may even be some feedback in the response that may be helpful for your next submission.
#6 - January 30, 2008, 02:47 PM

stephwc

Thanks, Lenzi. That's a good point.  I just wish those bug magazines didn't have such a loooooooong response time. I'll sit on this sub and wait.
#7 - January 30, 2008, 03:35 PM

Members: