SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights waiting

Discussion started on

I have a few subs out there that I haven't heard back on.
Both were sent on 9.10.07. Do you think I should send a status query on these? Or do HL not keep up with subs. I know some do and don't. Wasn't sure of HL though. Anyone know or have any suggestions?

Also, I recieved a 'bear' postcard on another sub. How long does it usually take to hear back on these? I'm excited by this! I know that it at least caught their attention. It's been 2 months since I recieved the postcard.

I guess I'm just on pins and needles with these. haha.
Thanks all.
~~~tracey
#1 - November 19, 2007, 09:12 PM

Avvy

Tracey,

Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes not.

Here's my history with Highlights:
* One sub was 4 months from submission to sale. I believe I got the postcard within a few weeks, so I waited about 3 months for the final decision after the postcard.
* Another sub was 3 months from submission to sale. Same, I got the postcard pretty quick then waited a while for the contract.
* I've had a handful of other "bear with us" cards and they usually took 8-16 weeks, with the longer time frame usually leading to a sale or revision request. However, don't read too much into that, because I had another at 18 weeks come back as a rejection.

I currently have 2 subs waiting for a final decision. I got the bear with us cards Sept 4 and Oct 19. So one has been over 2 months the other about a month. Still waiting.

As for the subs on 9.10.07 that you haven't heard back on, give it 2-3 months. If it were me, I would resubmit at the three month mark with a letter stating you subbed earlier and have not heard back. They usually do get back within that time frame, so outside of 3 months, you should be okay to send a follow up. But I would send the manuscript with the follow up because things do get lost and it's easier to just look at the resub than try to match up the old one with the SQ.
#2 - November 19, 2007, 09:55 PM

1. They do keep up on subs.
2. I wouldn't SQ until after at least 4 mo. Sometimes it takes a while.

My experience: the longer it takes, the more favorable the response.

:clover  Kelly
#3 - November 20, 2007, 05:16 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

graywolf

Highlights seems extraordinarily well organized and conscientious about submissions.  Keep writing, and it will take your mind off the waiting!
#4 - November 20, 2007, 05:22 AM

MichelleBud

Hi Tracey - I'm with you on the pins and needles!

I sent a sub in the middle of July and received a "bear" card on 7/31. On 11/7 I received an e-mail from the editor asking for more time to decide on the piece. (I thought it had been lost for sure!)

I'd say just wait a little longer...
#5 - November 20, 2007, 05:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hi Tracey and Michelle, Me too:

7/29   submission
8/3     bear card
10/9   mailed status query
11/9   (4:45pm)  emailed status query
11/10 (8:00am) rcvd note written on mailed sq - still under consideration

Why oh why didn't I wait until the tenth to email the status query? Though excited about still being under consideration, mostly I felt embarrassed about being so pushy. Color my face red. Laurie

#6 - November 20, 2007, 03:26 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Hi, Highlights does move slowly. I think I've waited six months sometimes -- and that was for a rejection. Though one time they bought it in 3 weeks flat. I've found the more I've subbed and sold, the faster my rejection, acceptance or request for revision. I think that's because I keep sending to the same editor. So he knows me and feels comfortable sending short notes back. I hope that I'm also getting closer to their style each time.

good luck.
#7 - November 20, 2007, 06:56 PM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Avvy

Laurie,

That's okay. I went 4 months after getting a "bear card" and finally sent a SQ. Two days later, I got the contract in the mail. I wanted to run to PA and dig through the mail to get my SQ back before it hit anyone's desk. A few days later I got an e-mail saying, "Contract is in the mail." I opted against e-mailing back with, "I know, I just set it back to you!"  :dr

I felt so silly, but they are super nice at Highlights. Now I'm patiently waiting for responses on two of my "bear" cards, and I hid the stamps so I don't SQ too soon this time.

#8 - November 20, 2007, 06:59 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
On the other hand, I have waited to SQ and been sorry.  I sent a set of crafts in and waited about 7 weeks.  Because I had always received a response from that editor in 3-4 weeks before, I finally decided to SQ by email.  (Even as I hit send, I cringed, wondering if I was being too pushy.)  I received an email back within an hour, saying she didn't remember receiving them and couldn't find them.  That time, I was glad I hadn't waited a month longer to SQ!
#9 - November 21, 2007, 09:54 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Thanks all. It's only been about 2 1/2 months. I'm going to hold for a bit more.

Good luck to all of you waiting out there with me.

Happy turkey day all.
 :cuccoan: :horse

~~~tracey
#10 - November 21, 2007, 02:01 PM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Tracey,
Does your sub have any science in it? They only have one lonely overworked science editor that has to fact check any science material. I sent in a rebus once not even thinking that because it had birds and nature in it it would fall into science. It ended up on the science editor's desk for five months. So if you do have anything scientific you might give them longer to get back.

rainchains  :horse
#11 - November 21, 2007, 04:46 PM

MichelleBud

I just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had heard anything. I'm still playing the waiting game. If the editor asked to hold my article "a bit longer" in an e-mail on 11/7 after a bear card on 7/31, is it too soon to SQ? Would that be impolite since she went to the trouble to inform me? What does "a bit longer" mean?
#12 - December 15, 2007, 03:15 PM

Avvy

I'm still waiting on my subs from an Sept 4 and Oct 19 bear with us cards. Just passed 3 months and approaching 2 months on the other. I'm so ready to hear a final answer, so I'll keep biting my nails with you.
 :cat (Just thought it was cute).

#13 - December 15, 2007, 05:58 PM

no word from them on me either.
I sent mine in on 9.10.07 and got the bear card 9.21.07.
Twiddling my thumbs here too.
 :waiting
PLUS I have two other ms sent out on the 9.10.07 that I've never heard from.
I'm going to wait until the 4 month mark myself. Atleast that will hopefully get everyone one over the end of the year hols.

Good luck to all!
 :giddyup<---LOVE THIS!
#14 - December 16, 2007, 10:06 AM

MichelleBud

From all this nail biting going on, I think we're going to have to treat ourselves to manicures after we hear back (whenever that may be)!

It's comforting to know I'm not alone on the nail biting. Thanks!

Here's hoping we all hear back soon (preferably with good news)! :mail2
#15 - December 16, 2007, 11:05 AM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
I got an email update report today on mine. It now has to go to the science editor who is on vacation. It's nice that they let me know what's going on it makes the wait easier.

rainchains :horse
#16 - December 18, 2007, 07:42 PM

Members: