SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Day by Day

Discussion started on

Gabby

I searched, and all the daily goal threads I found were ancient history. I really would like day to day conversation on progress, instead of a monthly list, so I hope it's okay to start up this thread.

Anybody else with me on posting daily goals?

Today I'm working on a short story, and I'm hoping to figure out how to make the plot more plausible.

So, what writing task is on your agenda for the day? 

:donut  I like this donut smilie ... reminds you to take it one bite at a time.

#1 - December 29, 2007, 07:38 AM
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:53 PM by Gabby »

Gabby

Ha! I'm beginning to see why the old Daily Goal threads are so old. Folks don't seem to be in to daily goals.

So what do you want to accomplish writing wise today?

I'm still on the same ol' short story.

:broccoli
#2 - December 30, 2007, 06:40 AM

I can make daily goals for everything EXCEPT writing.  If I make a goal (like 1000 words/day) and don't keep it, it's easy for me to feel discouraged.  I'd rather make weekly or monthly goals to give myself a little wiggle room.  But the sad thing is, sometimes I don't keep them either.   ??? 
#3 - December 30, 2007, 09:27 PM

Gabby

Well, I make a goal just for THAT day. Ex. Today I'm going to write for one hour on The Banana that Ate Manhattan. (Not a real title.) So it's not a specific word count or anything.

Of course, I missed my goal today. Instead of working on the story, I went to the library to get a book for research.

But I sure am glad you came to post in this thread. I thought I was going to have to ask Verla for a shower smilie. Or a mouthwash smilie or an "I've had my shots" smilie or something.

:bananadance   But then again, this thing looks like a rabid banana.

#4 - December 30, 2007, 09:53 PM

Funny how people set different types of goals, like you're by hour and I usually go by number of pages.  What do you do when the hour is up and you're still going with the flow?
(Yes, I know this is a little OT, but it's still relates to goals, right? ;))
#5 - December 31, 2007, 01:02 PM

Gabby

Well, if I still have time, I just keep going. Sometimes it may be a time goal .... sometimes it may be a task goal .... Ex. I'm going to finish the scene where the werewolf turns into the Easter bunny.

I tend to revise as I go, so word and page counts don't really work for me.

I hope that makes sense.  :elephant
#6 - December 31, 2007, 01:22 PM

Arya

My goal for today is to write at least part of a chapter of my novel and get things rolling, haha.
#7 - December 31, 2007, 04:32 PM

Gabby

Yay, conversation!!!

My goal for the day was cleaining out my pantry cupboards...which I just finished. Egads...I need to eat a lot of soup and beans and pasta. That's all I have in there.
#8 - December 31, 2007, 04:44 PM

anishnish95

I have a deadline looming in just two short weeks, so I've become mathematical in my daily goals. I have to write 3 nonfiction spreads a day, or I won't make it.
Gulp! Now, back to those spreads....
#9 - January 01, 2008, 05:56 AM

Okay, here's a goal I'd like to accomplish today...actually tonight, since I'm a night owl.  I wrote a brief outline for a new MS last night (the inspiration just came to me, or otherwise I'd have made it a goal), and I'd like to get at least 4 pages started tonight.
#10 - January 01, 2008, 01:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region houston
I think I'll do better posting daily goals too; some days I do a lot of revising so the actual word count doesn't look so impressive, although I may have accomplished a lot.

The MG novel I'm working on is my first writing project ever, so I've been writing it while at the same time learning as much as possible about the writing process. So now I'm looking back at some of the early chapters wondering, "What was I thinking?"

Last night, (yes I was a giant nerd, writing at my computer on New Year's Eve) I sent my chapter 6 to my online critique group. Today I'm revising my chapter 10 that I will take to one of my face-to-face critique groups next week, then revising chapter 11.

I always read a lot, and I decided I want to read at least a little each day on something that will help me with the novel. Earlier I took some notes about elephant behavior from a book I was reading last night.

Since my daughter has to go back to school tomorrow already, I want to help her get her notebooks and papers organized for tomorrow. She's about as organized as I am, so she needs all the help she can get. Plus I really need to do some housecleaning tonight.

:dishes
#11 - January 01, 2008, 03:41 PM

I got the 4 pages done.  Actually, 4.5 so woohoo!  :broccoli  My goal for tonight is to bang out another 4 pages.
#12 - January 03, 2008, 07:52 PM

Kate

I had an impossibly productive day on Wed, and yesterday I sort of crashed. Does that happen to anyone else? Super productivity leading to nothing the following day?

Anyhoo, I have a chapter (10 pages) that need revising tonight. And I keep finding other things to do... :stars
#13 - February 15, 2008, 05:59 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I set a goal to write at least 1 good paragraph a day - just to get myself in the chair with my ms in front of me.  Once I'm there (and I'm not surfing the net or playing Tetris  :uhuh ), I usually write 2-10 pages. My goal today is to tackle my laundry room  (you could get lost in there), and work on my mg novel while the towel dry.

Nora
#14 - February 18, 2008, 06:34 AM

Borboleta

Today my goal is to upload my submission for my writing group.  This small goal is part of a larger plan to have my WIP completed by August.  Thank you for starting this "smaller bites" link! :clock :coffee

It is VERY quiet at the day job today...so NO excuses :yay
#15 - February 18, 2008, 06:48 AM

Borboleta

Today my goals are:

1) To write AT LEAST for one hour (not as quiet today at the day job)
2) Attend forum on writing for children at The New School in NYC tonight.
3) Meet writing/critique gals afterwards
4) Continue reading on plot & structure - it's easier for me to micro- vs. macro-manage my WIP!

:woo
#16 - February 19, 2008, 07:22 AM

Gabby

Wow, I had forgotten I started this thread.

My goal is to finish a poem today.
#17 - February 19, 2008, 07:30 AM

MaudeStephany

Today I need to:
Row at least 5 kms
Clean my house
Deliver 300 newspapers (probably with my 5 yr old in tow)
feed the family
Start writing an article that's due next week.
Shower
That's enough for me.

Maude  :broccoli
#18 - February 19, 2008, 08:07 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hmmm. I think I need this thread, too.  Today I SHOULD edit and return three ICL lessons.  I'll probably get one or two of them done instead.  But I SHOULD do three of them.

I NEED to take time to sit down and think hard about my WIP's -- my Pilot Daddy story about my father's WWII POW experience and my China trip story.

But then there's TAXES.  <UGH!>  Which I haven't even begun to start preparing for and we HAVE to get them together and to the tax guy soon....

:banghead :jail :stuck

Guess I had better start on the ICL lessons first, since they HAVE to be done immediately.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Borboleta!
#19 - February 19, 2008, 08:53 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Gabby

well, I have a LOT more to do than write a poem...but I just don't want to think about it. If I put my list up...I'll  :ahh

#20 - February 19, 2008, 09:07 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Well, I don't work so well with structure, but daily goals I can handle.
My life is a little crazy right now with taking care of my parents but I am trying desperately to hold onto some writing time for myself.
Today my goal is to cut a story-in-verse down by another 100 words (already hacked off 550)  :scissors so that I can send it off to a contest.
#21 - February 20, 2008, 05:20 AM

Borboleta

These daily goals work much better for me, too! I'm so glad it caught on again.  :thewave

My goals for today are:

1) Putting revisions aside for the moment and pushing forward into the next chapter of my WIP
2) Updating resume so I can look for a more civilized day job. :fury
#22 - February 20, 2008, 08:25 AM

Borboleta

Today - Continue working on chapter :coffee
#23 - February 21, 2008, 06:40 AM
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:44 AM by Borboleta »

Borboleta

:oncomputer  Putting words, words, words on paper...
#24 - February 22, 2008, 08:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Tonight I need to get unstuck ... hit a wall, a little one, but a wall all the same...
#25 - February 22, 2008, 05:17 PM

Saturday/Sunday goals:  get back to work (FINALLY) on WIP that's been shelved as I worked on revisions.  Specifically, I'm going to rewrite the beginning chapters.  I know many writing books recommend against rewriting before you've finished the MS, but I have new ideas and directions and want to start fresh.
#26 - February 22, 2008, 09:10 PM

Borboleta

Today's goal: Prepare submission for writing group (we might be meeting earlier this week)
#27 - February 23, 2008, 12:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Tonight? Still trying to get unstuck... :writing
#28 - February 23, 2008, 07:48 PM

Borboleta

:writing3

1) Finish writing next scenes.
2) Live by my favorite quote from the Oscar's last night: "Make Art!"
3) Send out day job resumes.
4) Remember favorite Helen Keller Quote:

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller
#29 - February 25, 2008, 06:44 AM

Since I got exactly NOTHING accomplished this weekend, I'm going to try and catch up tonight.  I'll start small and say 2 pages.
#30 - February 25, 2008, 05:20 PM

Members: