SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights Question- submissions

Discussion started on

Counting down until May 16, 2020!
Member.
Poster Plus
I just finished writing a fable for younger children, which is only about 366 words.  Is Highlights interested in stories with a moral?  If not, have you had any experience selling these kinds of articles to another magazine?  Thanks in advance for your help.
#1 - January 20, 2008, 06:08 AM
PM me anytime!
www.alliesakowicz.com

FD,
Highlights likes wholesome stories, but if "with a moral" means didactic, then no. They (and most mags I know of) don't want to  :!  kids with morals. They'd rather the kids discover life lessons through the stories, like kids finding real solutions their own way rather than listen to a wise, old owl spew platitudes and then all of a sudden everything is all right. Does that make sense? Does that answer your question?

Good luck with your story,
Kelly
#2 - January 20, 2008, 07:02 AM
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 04:27 PM by kabarson »
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

And the best way to get a feel for what a magazine wants is to study the actual magazines, not just the company's stated guidelines. Good thing it's a popular mag, you should have no trouble finding several issues at the local library.
#3 - January 20, 2008, 07:18 AM
ESCAPING THE TIGER, Bank Street's "Best Books of the Year"
http://lauramanivong.wordpress.com

Christine French says Highlights wants stories with "moral residue"--stories that make the reader think about a moral without the writer hitting them over the head with it.

Younger readers (ages 4-8) --up to 500 words
Older--(8 to 12) --up to 800 words.

They are quite picky about these word counts, so if yours in under 500, make sure it's really for 4-8 year olds (MY biggest problem!)  LIke a few others said, check out the mag, read the stories for the younger kids, and see if yours has a similar reading level, style, etc. Here's a great reference--you can plug in key words and every Highlights piece ever published will pop up:
http://www.highlightskids.com/OLIndex/h8parentsIndex.asp
Gotta love Highlights for having something like this!!

You might want to try Marileta Robinson, Senior Editor.
#4 - January 31, 2008, 06:24 AM
CITY STREET BEAT (2014)
LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! (2013)
STORM SONG (2013)
SAMANTHA HANSEN HAS ROCKS IN HER HEAD (2008)

Members: