SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Photo Essay for Highlights

Discussion started on

I was looking at their guidelines and I also read some older threads about photo essays. My questions stem from their guidelines which state to submit the manuscript with fewer than 500 words for photo essays. From what I've read, there are very little words with photo essays. Do I just give a little bit of back ground and explain the natural progression of the photos and have that be my manuscript? Also, do I send in copies of the photos with manuscript?  :help
#1 - March 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
Unraveled, Evernight Teen, Spring 2013
Uncovered, Evernight Teen, Aug 2014
www.sxbradley.com
http://twitter.com/SusanXBradley

Shirley Anne

Yes, send in the photos. The editor will want to see those. I've seen some of their photo essays where the "usual" number of words were used, about 500. I've had photos accepted by Highlights with poems. Once the editor accepts your work, you'll receive information on how to send your photos - 300 ppi in TIFF format on a CD.

I would use the number of words needed for your manuscript, up to the amount stated in the guidelines. The manuscript should almost be able to stand on its own.

Shirley Ramaley
#2 - May 02, 2008, 04:38 PM

Rena

It's been awhile since my kids got Highlights, but I need to get ahold of some copies again.  Can anyone tell me what type of photo essays they've done in the past?  I looked at their wish list and saw them listed, but didn't see any requests for specific ones.  Do they ever ask for certain types?  Is there a certain number of pictures they limit you with?

I'd appreciate any feedback.  I will get some copies for myself soon.  I live out in the boonies --  :car
#3 - July 08, 2008, 07:30 PM
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:54 PM by Rena »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I went to a workshop with one of the Highlights editors. She said 8-10 photos for a photo essay. She didn't mention type, but I'd assume some of the same topics as you see in the rest of their magazine: nature, history, multicultural, science, etc. I've sold photos to them, but they've always been in association with an article.
#4 - July 09, 2008, 08:41 AM
SPACE EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
OCEAN EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
GRAVITY IN ACTION (Rourke, 2019)
www.annettegulati.com

Rena

Thanks Annette!  I will try to get my hands on some recent copies.  We subscribed to the magazine for years when my girls were little and we had a huge collection of kid's magazines like that.  When we moved from CA to MT, I just couldn't take them with us because of the weight, in addition to all our other books.  I'm really interested in this photo essay stuff, so I'll have to take a look.

:thanks2
#5 - July 09, 2008, 11:45 AM

Members: