SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Worst butchering of a classic children's book on film

Discussion started on

But the most painful one for me is Stuart Little.  It's such a thoughtful, quiet story and what they did to it makes me want to cry.  Or nuke Hollywood.

My sentiments exactly!

The trailers to The Cat in the Hat evoked a similar reaction.

I liked Horton more than I expected to.

#31 - April 01, 2008, 02:05 PM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

aclaire1980

I was really disappointed with the third Anne of Green Gables movie (Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story). I loved the books and I really enjoyed the first two movies, especially the first one. However, the third film adaptation was awful. It did not follow the book at all, and the characters had no charm.  I could go on and on about reasons I did not like this movie.
#32 - April 01, 2008, 03:51 PM

aclaire1980, I completely agree about the last Anne movie. It was absurd. I was just ranting about it on another thread.

The greatest disappointment for me has been The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Even though I didn't expect much, I didn't think it would be laughable and utterly charmless. The worst part was hearing Liam Neeson's voice coming out of Aslan's mouth. It's so...ineffective and weightless, somehow. I watched the Prince Caspian trailer recently, wanting to give it a chance for the sake of the books that I LOVE, but had to shut it off as soon as he spoke. It's so jarring.
#33 - April 01, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I read the description of the third Anne movie and it completely boggled my mind. I still can't believe they did that.

The one that I always think of is I Know What You Did Last Summer.  I really loved that book, and when I heard it was going to be a movie, I was like, ooh, how are they going to do that? Apparently by chucking the entire plot and making it a basic slasher film. Ugh.
#34 - April 02, 2008, 10:51 AM

I read the description of the third Anne movie and it completely boggled my mind. I still can't believe they did that.

The one that I always think of is I Know What You Did Last Summer.  I really loved that book, and when I heard it was going to be a movie, I was like, ooh, how are they going to do that? Apparently by chucking the entire plot and making it a basic slasher film. Ugh.

So terrible, right? When I found out they'd cast Jennifer Love Hewitt, I was like, but she doesn't have red hair. That's essential! It's how he figures it all out! And then Helen's older sister is somehow glamorous and successful? Pshhh.
#35 - April 02, 2008, 06:11 PM

DerekJ

So terrible, right? When I found out they'd cast Jennifer Love Hewitt, I was like, but she doesn't have red hair. That's essential! It's how he figures it all out! And then Helen's older sister is somehow glamorous and successful? Pshhh.

The ultimate Lois Duncan butchering may have finally helped kibosh Kevin Williamson's career--
When it leaked out that Kevin really had unsuccessfully tried to negotiate a version of "KIlling Mr. Griffin" with Lois before writing the "original" mess that was "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" (and went around in interviews claiming he'd based it on "his real-life high-school teacher")... :uhuh  :-X

(And let's pretend that similarly desperate "Last Summer"-wannabe made-for-TV version of "Gallows Hill" never happened.)
#36 - April 02, 2008, 06:24 PM

The ultimate Lois Duncan butchering may have finally helped kibosh Kevin Williamson's career--
When it leaked out that Kevin really had unsuccessfully tried to negotiate a version of "KIlling Mr. Griffin" with Lois before writing the "original" mess that was "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" (and went around in interviews claiming he'd based it on "his real-life high-school teacher")... :uhuh  :-X

I actually lived down the street from the Teaching Mrs. Tingle house and every time I drove by, I was like, oh look, there's the house from that movie that was lame and not awesome like Killing Mr. Griffin. So disappointing. Lois Duncan is great.
#37 - April 03, 2008, 11:49 AM

Members: