SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Superscience, Science world (schol.); science spin, current science (WR)

Discussion started on

wheelertop

Does anyone have experience working with Superscience or Science World (through scholastic) or Science Spin/ Current Science (through Weekly Reader)? I would really enjoy writing for that type of news magazine. Does anyone have the name of an editor I could send clips to?

Thanks!
#1 - April 11, 2008, 06:47 AM

MaudeStephany

Hi Wheelertop

I've been trying to get in there myself! If you get the ICL's Magazine Markets for Children's Writers 2008, you'd get all the answers to your questions for the Scholastic pubs. SuperScience, for example has Britt Norlander as editor there.
As for weekly reader.. I haven't a clue. I have info on Current Health 1 and 2 but not science spin or current science.

Remember that there are plenty of children's magazines that are looking for science articles to include in their publication - it's a matter of targeting them appropriately.

Good luck!

Maude  :broccoli
#2 - April 11, 2008, 07:21 AM

wheelertop

Thank you! I didn't realize that ICL had a magazine markets guide. The magazine section in the writer's digest guide had science world, but nothing else. (I included that one just to see if anyone had tips on working with them). 

I had seen an interview with Norlander in an article on Fiona Bayrock's page, but it was from 2006 and I didn't know if he was still there. For anybody else who might want to look into superscience, you can find it here: http://www.swiny.org/?p=60
(eek, I'm new to blue boards, am I allowed to post urls?)

Thank you so much for helping me figure that out!
#3 - April 13, 2008, 05:34 PM

Members: