SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Winding up for the pitch

Discussion started on

Caroline

I finally did it.  After being a  :cuccoan: for so long.... I finally found the nerve to call the editor and he wants to meet at the end of the month to at least 'take at look' at my idea.

woohoo!  :jump

Now I'm  :toilet !!

I have an idea for a children's magazine.  I've written a proposal that covers

Overview
Market
The Need
Promotion
Biography
Comparison
Sample Formats

which were the areas I got out of Jeff Herman's Write the Perfect Book Proposal book  (figure it would be kinda the same for magazine proposals too.)

Does anyone have experience with this?

I would love some advice to help me present my idea well.  I don't want to look like a total dork.

Do I just give him the proposal and wait for him to read it then and there...  ???

do I tell it to him in my own words (yikes! :eek5:)

I'm not a 'salesman'.. and even though editors are people too, just knowing the power he holds (and the opportunity of having time to speak with him) will definitely turn me into a babbling idiot!  

Me  -->  :spaz

Him -->  :tired:

Any advice??  :EmoticonHelp2:
#1 - October 11, 2003, 10:54 AM
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 10:58 AM by Caroline »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
The best advice I can give you is this:

Go prepared.

Have every point you want to cover written down so you don't forget anything - but do it in an "outline" of just the points you want to cover.  That way, you can present your idea in an intelligent way without leaving anything out.

Also bring along two copies of your proposal.  One for you, and one to leave with him to look at afterwards.

Before you begin, take a deep breath and remember, he's interested in what you have to say, or he wouldn't have made this appointment.  So relax, and enjoy talking about what you love!  If you can come across as confident in what you are proposing, he'll be more likely to believe in you, and to take a chance on you.

Above all, remember this isn't a life or death situation, so have some fun!  Enjoy the experience - embrace it.  (However, you might stop short of embracing him.  Could get embarrassing if he took it wrong....  :n)

Good luck!  Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Oh, yeah.. one more thing.  Keep your sense of humor, no matter what happens!  If you can laugh at yourself for doing dumb things, he will laugh, too, and neither of you will feel uncomfortable.  So if you bobble it badly, just stop and laugh about it.  Tell him, "I'm great at doing stuff, but terrible at talking about it."  Give him a chance to laugh with you at  your unease, and you will be surprised at how fast you will become comfortable talking with him.
#2 - October 13, 2003, 08:46 AM
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 08:51 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

lj

:eek5: WooHoo Caroline!  Good for you!  No good advice as I haven't done anything remotely like this, but I'm rootin' for you, girl!  :girl
#3 - October 13, 2003, 12:57 PM

Caroline

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement Verla and Lisa.

I guess it's that 'fear of the unknown'.  But you are right, Verla. I gotta be prepared and I gotta loosen up.  Any job interview I've gone for in the past goes much better if I can get in that zone and relax.

I like the point form idea too, just in case I have a memory lapse. (Never quite recovered those brain cells lost during the pregnancies). Plus it will make me get my thoughts straight BEFORE I get there.

"Relax and enjoy talking about what you love."

You said it!  If nothing else... it is a chance to do just that.  Thanks for helping me get organized and keep it all in perspective.

I'll be going to see him at the end of the month.  I'll let you know how it went.:)
#4 - October 13, 2003, 04:38 PM

words4kids

Caroline, this is so exciting.  I feel bad I didn't check this thread earlier.  Which editor is it?  What a huge opportunity, but don't get too worked up about it.  Relax, show your enthusiasm for your ideas and everything will go smoothly.  Can't wait to hear how it goes. :)
#5 - October 27, 2003, 06:47 PM

Caroline

Thanks words4kids  ;)

It is with Novalis pubishers (they are considering Smudge and bought the marriage article for their marriage prep book).  They are the publishers that do the Catholic periodicals like "Living With Christ" (daily mass readings/ devotionals/ etc)

My meeting is this Thursday at 11.  I figure, if this is what God wants me to do then it will work out DESPITE my presentation, right?  If not, then it still is a great experience.
#6 - October 28, 2003, 11:02 AM

words4kids

Thanks words4kids  ;)

I figure, if this is what God wants me to do then it will work out DESPITE my presentation, right?  If not, then it still is a great experience.

That's right.  And I'll be secretly hoping that God and you are on the same track and the editor says "how soon can you start?"  My prayers are with you for calm nerves on Thur.  You'll do just fine.  ;)
#7 - October 28, 2003, 08:21 PM

Members: