SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Last resort publishers

Discussion started on

Cici Brown

Hi there,
I'm a new picture book author, and have submitted my ms package to 5 publishers.  I'm just wait, wait, waiting!
I've decided if I'm rejected by the big guns, I will try to self publish or go to such publishers as:  Trafford Publishing or Publish America.
Do any of you writers know anything about these type of publishers, and the quality of books they produce?  I've been working for over a year on this package (ms, illiustrations, CD).
Thank you for any information you may have.
Cici Brown
#1 - September 03, 2003, 10:11 AM

kateiam

Self publishing is entirely up to you and what you really want from your book.   My brother in law has self published 3 adult novels...and has made a HUGE marketing push, amazon, bn.com local stores etc.  Quite honestly it is his whole life....  he has made some money but the struggle is huge...and he didn't need illustrations since it is not for children.

I don't think self publishing is bad...just a choice you need to really think about as many publisher will not touch your book once you have self published.

I think a year is very quick to give up on a book.  

I wish you luck in your decision.

Kate
#2 - September 03, 2003, 01:09 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Cici,

I don't know exactly how you define big guns, but there are many smaller, well-respected publishers that do a great job with picture books.

Off the cuff, I'm thinking Peachtree, Rising Moon, Azro, Boyds Mill, Dawn . . . big-name New York publishers vs. PublishAmerica is not the only choice.

Granted, most writers hope to be published by one of the big six but I'd be careful not to rule out the smaller regional publishers.  

Anne Marie
#3 - September 03, 2003, 02:24 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Torty

Hey Cici,
Best of luck with your submissions.
And no I don't think there's anything wrong with smaller publishers either.
Just make sure you research these publishers and their lists fairly carefully. You don't want to be tagged as an author who sends out willy-nilly, you're trying to find the perfect 'fit' for your hard work after all. Also don't forget to let the publishers know if you are submitting to others as well (multiple submissions) THis is another way to demonstrate your professionalism as you begin this exciting journey.
Once again, good luck!
#4 - September 15, 2003, 05:35 AM

marianne

How about sending all our "declined" manuscripts to Callaway Publishing. I'm sure ANY of them would be of higher quality and better stories than the one they just published by---hmm, what's her name again? :P

Submission guidelines under "contact us" at
www.calaway.com
#5 - September 17, 2003, 11:05 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Ah, but would our books bring in the kind of instant money that Madonna's book has?  I don't have a doubt in my mind (after reading the reviews of her book and hearing what people have had to say that have read it) that THAT was the deciding factor in making that book of hers such an overnight promotional sensation.  After all, who among us would have the kind of public appeal to instantly make our book a household word?  

<wishing, but knowing this kind of goal is far out of reach!>
#6 - September 17, 2003, 11:11 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Members: