SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning by Danette Haworth

Discussion started on

I've ordered my copy through Borders.  Can't wait to read it with my niece.  We are our own little book club.  I'll post comments after we read it.  Love to support the blueboarder's books!!!
#1 - August 28, 2008, 10:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
Courtney!

Thank you for such high words of praise. I should feel  :embarrassed2

but I really feel  :yay and want to give you  :thankyou :milkshake :cake :chocolate :redflower

and

:grouphug2
#2 - August 29, 2008, 01:11 PM
A WHOLE LOT OF LUCKY, Sept. 2012
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning
The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
Me & Jack

http://www.danettehaworth.com

Courtney: I went to your blog (I think that's where I read it- I read so much and getting 4getful in my old age) and read your comments. 
#3 - August 29, 2008, 01:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
It really is good.   I liked the characters,  and the way the problem was resolved.    :cheerleader

BTW--my cousin had a baby last week,  and named her Violet!    :yippee

Christine
#4 - August 29, 2008, 01:52 PM

I plan on blogging next week about how my daughter and I have been fighting over the book! My middle child loves the cover and keeps trying to practice her cartwheel and calling to us to hold the book out and compare her to the book! I get a little nervous!!!

Danette - I was at the bookstore and looked at all the new books released. I had to buy 2 birthday presents and I always buy books as presents. I bought Violet Raines for the older girl and I have to say it was the 3rd book left in the shelf! Since I had just been to the bookstore 3 days earlier I knew there was alot more earlier!
#5 - August 29, 2008, 01:53 PM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

bzirkle

I loved Violet and her story!!!  I couldn't stop reading it...I even shared it with a friend's daughter who is NEVER quiet and we had a nice afternoon of quiet because she wouldn't put Violet down...

I had to fight her to get my copy back before she left...She's meaner then I thought, I had to promise to buy her one of her own before she would give my copy back to me...what I didn't tell her was, I have already purchased her a copy, but now that she beat me up, she will have to wait til her birthday Mid-September!  I do have my pride, you know...grin..

Great job Danette!
#6 - August 29, 2008, 03:54 PM

taradawn

Can't wait to get my hands on it!
#7 - August 30, 2008, 07:17 AM

i went to the Lloyd Center Barnes and Nobel in Portland, OR today and they had it.  I almost bought it there but I'd ordered it to the downtown Borders - so I'll pick it up next week there.
#8 - August 30, 2008, 08:49 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Just bought myself a copy and am trying to decide (at midnight, mind you) whether I can wait until tomorrow to read it!! :)
#9 - August 31, 2008, 12:04 AM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
OK, so here's what happened.  My 10-year-old got her hands on the book and wouldn't let go.  Plopped down on my bed and read furiously until she plopped up again two hours later:  "Mom, this is a REALLY GOOD book!"  That is super high praise, by this way, because this is my extrahypercritical kid we're talking about (really, if she asks to join your critique group, think twice, because she'll never sugarcoat a thing!  :ahh ).

So I went out walking with Violet Raines this morning (trying to keep it out of the OTHER 10-year-old's hands, you know), and I loved it, too!  "This is like a long glass of iced tea on a hot day," I said to myself at the end -- and then I looked at the blurb on the inner flap and saw how unoriginal a thought that was.  But for once the blurb on the inner flap of a book is spot on, at least we can say that.

Is there an audio version of this book?  I bet it would be heaven listening to it while you were on an otherwise-endless-and-grueling trip to somewhere far away.

It's the sort of book that leaves you with a big smile on your face and the urge to buy a round of BrainFreezes (whatever those really are) for all your kids.

And that is no teradiddle.  :)
#10 - September 01, 2008, 03:16 PM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
They now have one less copy at Powells! :) Can't wait to read it!!
#11 - September 01, 2008, 03:24 PM
The Bridge From Me to You, Scholastic
plus five other YA novels
It's Raining Cupcakes trilogy
Charmed Life series
http://www.lisaschroederbooks.com

Honored to share my name with the author! Great voice.  :applause

Danette  :D
#12 - September 03, 2008, 05:59 AM
THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON
G.P. Putnam's Sons
SSYRA List 2012-2013

SAVING BABY DOE
G.P. Putnam's Sons

http://Danettevigilante.com

Running2StandStill

Just thought I'd post here too about the contest going on over at my Blogger blog. I'm giving away my extra copy of Danette's book!  :love  Sharing the love.
#13 - September 04, 2008, 11:16 AM

roxy

courtney, i loved your interview, and angie, i entered your contest. :)

i can't wait to read this book!
#14 - September 04, 2008, 09:58 PM

I just picked it up yesterday and started it right away.  I love Violet!  I'll add a link on my blog to the contest.  Very cool!!!  And this weekend I'll work on my own little book review on my blog.  I hope others will stop by and add their opinions too.
#15 - September 05, 2008, 11:19 AM

witzl

Danette, I haven't read your book yet, but I absolutely will. In fact, I'll mention this to the middle grade teacher at our new school; my husband told me that she's keen to augment the school's book list, and they are particularly looking for American MG stuff. It looks fantastic.
#16 - September 05, 2008, 11:55 AM

Here's my take on the book:

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning
By Danette Haworth

I read this book Saturday night and thought it was super cute.  I loved spunky Vi.  And with the teaser on the jacketflap, of coral snakes and alligators, who wouldn’t want to read Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning?

It was 162 pages of awesome attitude twirled into a fun-filled story. 

I enjoyed the fish fries, which brought back childhood memories for me.  My own Dad hunted and fished to feed us kids.  With 9 of us, he had too.  But, I hated watching the fish get cleaned, just like Melissa. 

I could totally relate to Vi’s jealousy.  When I grew up with my best friend, who lived across the street, I too, just like Vi, was jealous whenever new girls came into the picture.  I felt left out some times but never considered how my friend felt, when I was hanging out with my sisters and brothers or other friends. 

I especially loved Vi’s word collection.  Taradiddle, magniloquent, jubilant, and serendipity were all great, but my own personal favorite was a word my mom and grandma used to use all the time: persnickety.  Now, isn’t that a cool word for a kid? 

The tree cave was a cool idea and the bridge crossing was always hanging around in the back of my mind. 

All around, a very fun story. 
#17 - September 07, 2008, 10:16 PM

lurban

I loved this book.  Violet is a true and well-rounded character and her muddle of emotions is so right-on-target for her age.  The book is honest, sharp, deep-reaching and heart-tugging.  If I had read this book at 12, I would have been looking over my shoulder wondering how the author so understood all the mess I was feeling at the time.

Bravo, Danette.
#18 - September 08, 2008, 07:30 AM

Oh Yeah! I just bought your book and I can't wait to read it. :star2
#19 - November 17, 2008, 05:21 PM
www.jillcorcoran.blogspot.com & www.hermanagencyinc.com
DARE TO DREAM...CHANGE THE WORLD, Kane Miller, Fall 2012

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I recently saw this book displayed at our library and snatched it up after reading Courtney's interview with Danette. The book was even better than I'd expected. The voice was true--funny, heart-wrenching at times, and always honest, even when Violet wasn't being honest with herself. I'm going to recommend this to my 5th grade students.

Brava, Danette!  :applause
#20 - April 11, 2009, 08:23 PM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

I saw Violet Raines at my sons' Scholastic Bookfair and snatched it up.  I absolutely love this book.  I am a fast reader and I read a ton-but mostly books in the genre' I write--which is MG with a boy focus.  But this book is my current favorite book and I devoured it.  I'm going to recommend it to my friends, my kid's teachers--anyone I can. Vivid setting, intriguing characters and a fantastic storyline--it has it all.  When I closed the book, I made a wish that I could bring that level of storytelling and characterization to my own works.  Absolutely beautiful. 
#21 - April 17, 2009, 05:41 AM

I just finished this book as well.

I'm not a big fan of books written in present tense, but I have to say this one won me over from the very beginning.  In fact, it made the story better.  I'm reforming my opinion about tenses now. 

I adored this entire book.  So simply written, but beautiful.  From a writerly standpoint, there is so much to admire and emulate.  I hope to be able to write at Danette's level someday.

As a reader, I was captivated by the characters, the setting and the story itself.  I can't find fault with anything in it, it's that good.

#22 - April 17, 2009, 12:23 PM

elissacruz:  I had the exact same response about the use of present tense.  I usually find it really distracting but in Violet Raines it was seamless.  I, too am going to revisit my resistence present tense. I also agree this is a book that I will revisit from a writer's perspective.
#23 - April 17, 2009, 02:20 PM

Laurie

I'm very late to the party, but I have to say I picked up Violet Raines at the library this week and fell in love with her. Such a perfect little middle-grade. Great characters, written with a light touch!

Bravo,

Laurie
#24 - September 17, 2009, 05:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
 :star2 :thankyou :star2
#25 - September 18, 2009, 03:46 PM
Me & Jack

Laurie

You're very welcome, Danette. I'm looking forward to reading your other books when they're available. I have kind of a goofy post about Violet R. on my blog, as well: http://idaho-laurie.livejournal.com/146082.html

Cheers,
Laurie
#26 - September 18, 2009, 09:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
This book has been on my to-read list since it first came out, and I'm so glad I finally got to read it.  It was delightful!  I loved spunky Violet and her struggles with her jealousy when the new girl moved to town.  I grew up in a small town where most of us were poor, so I identified with the setting.  I liked the dialect Danette flavored the text with.  The characters seemed genuine. The ending was heart-warming.  And I'm totally looking forward to Danette's next books.
Great job, Danette, if you're reading this!!   :star2

Ev

P.S. And as I said on Facebook, I was especially pleased to see God listed first in the Acknowledgments.   :hug
#27 - August 09, 2010, 06:32 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
I am reading this, and thank you!     :hearts
#28 - August 09, 2010, 07:27 PM
Me & Jack

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm definitely going to look for The Summer of Moonlight Secrets and do not plan to let two years go by from its release like I did with Violet.

Best wishes, Danette!

:hug1
Ev
#29 - August 10, 2010, 08:37 AM

lindsay

An amazing book from start to finish!! My daughter loved it too and I recommend this to everyone!!
#30 - August 16, 2010, 11:36 AM

Members: