SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

midnight sun by stephenie meyer LEAKED

Discussion started on

SM talks about it on her site.

apparently, the first 12 chapters got out on
the internet. she made it available on her
website just to end the confusion / speculation.

http://stepheniemeyer.com/

yikes!
#1 - August 30, 2008, 10:24 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

That is so sad.  She gave it to trusted people and then to have it end up on the internet  :cry2  Of course, now that she's posted it - I'll read it but still . . .
#2 - August 30, 2008, 11:21 PM
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 11:23 PM by Kim Kasch »

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
That is really awful. I can't imagine someone leaking a rough draft. Stephenie's mesage was great though. I hope a lot of people read it and realize that it's wrong to post stuff that you don't have the rights to, whether it's writing or art or music or any other creative project.
#3 - August 31, 2008, 07:55 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Interesting comment about James winning and her "current state of mind."  A jab at the critics of Breaking Dawn????
It also leads to the question if BD's critical failure didn't play some part in her not continuing this project. If the writing was "messy," certainly her fans would welcome a clean, edited book to this edition, right?

Just some thoughts,
dave r
#4 - August 31, 2008, 09:22 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
It also leads to the question if BD's critical failure didn't play some part in her not continuing this project. If the writing was "messy," certainly her fans would welcome a clean, edited book to this edition, right?

The fans would probably buy the book, but it seemed like she didn't want to finish it after it was already out there, and was put out, without her permission, by someone she trusted.

I can totally see how that would shut down the creative process, whether she has issues with BD's reception, or not. (BTW, I liked BD, didn't think it was a failure, although I know other people didn't feel that way.)
#5 - August 31, 2008, 09:37 AM

Poor Stephanie!  She's just trying to write fictional stories, yet she's had to defend them so much lately.  It's just entertainment, not foreign policy!

#6 - August 31, 2008, 10:08 AM
Coming: Worth the Effort: Ayden's Story & The Lumpy Duckling

Award winning author. Fiction for kids & Teens

catephoenix

Oh, this makes me so mad.  The message on her site is great though and being writers ourselves we all understand how awful it must feel for a rough draft to be posted on the internet.
#7 - August 31, 2008, 10:26 AM

Harrietthespy

The chapters have been leaked for a long time. She should have been able to track down the culprit if the versions were properly "coded."  Only "trusted" people had it.  Someone on Amazon contacted her brother.  Apparently he was unaware that the movie script has gone viral as well.

There are several camps about this:

1. Someone truly leaked it without her permission.
2. It was leaked on purpose as damage control.
3. It was leaked to build up a buzz for the movie in light of the negative reaction to BD.
3. It was leaked on purpose because she was sick of the pressure associated with churning out the series.

The popular money is on #2 or 3.

Prior to this she said she had NO contract on MS and was taking a year off to work on other things. She gave copies to the movie studio.

I'm not sure what happened, but suspicious about how long it took for them to respond to the problem given that it had gone viral.

But yes - I'd be mad too, if I was the author, and if this was an unauthorized leak.  I didn't like BD, but SM has my empathy and sympathy. That would "stink."
#8 - August 31, 2008, 10:38 AM

Bracken

Just to add to the mix, we've been chatting about this in the Breaking Dawn thread:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=29763.240
#9 - August 31, 2008, 10:57 AM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
I would feel awful if this happened to me.  Punched in the gut, absolutely, incredibly awful.  And the inevitable speculation would make me feel a million times worse. 

In general, I find this kind of speculation maddening- because to me, the chance that speculation might be right doesn't at all outweigh the risk that it could also be wrong and that you might be throwing salt in the wound of someone who has just had their rights as an author spat upon and who feels really violated. I especially cannot understand it coming from other authors.  I would be devastated if this happened to me, and while I understand that part of being a mega-success/celebrity IS people speculating and spreading rumors and analyzing everything you do, that doesn't mean that any person who contributes to it doesn't have a choice about whether to treat the person behind the rumors as a celebrity or as a person, and to me- "celebrity" wins way, way too often.  This bothers me- especially among those of us who are in the same business and the same art. I feel like there's a certain amount of respect and empathy that authors usually show for each other- respect for people's privacy, for their wishes, for their process, and for their art- and I hate that when a person becomes successful enough, or if they happen to have reached that success without going through the trenches or paying their dues in whatever way some other person thinks you "should," then it's like all of a sudden, that respect and courtesy is absolutely gone and it's open season.

Stephenie Meyer may not be a member of this community, but she IS a member of our wider community, and I honestly do not believe that the blueboard- or any writing community- is the place to be speculating about her motives or flat-out calling her a liar by implication.  We've worked for years to make this such an open, accepting, and supportive community online, and that's why I consider this my online home.  While I support critiques and thoughtful discussions of the books, speculating about SM and any of her actions is something very different to me, and I can't help but think that if something similar was happening to a member of this board, we'd all be up in arms.  To me, part of being the kind of community we are is the support we give each other- but also the support we give our peers and colleagues who AREN'T represented on this board.  I'd like to think of this as an open community that supports all people who write or aspire to write about children and teens, not just the ones we know, and not just the ones whose levels of success we can relate to or appreciate.  That doesn't mean we can't critique the books- I think the Breaking Dawn thread has led to so many interesting discussions of the craft and the YA genre, and the diversity of opinions on that thread and the thought people put into them is the reason why.  But speculating about a message SM posts to her website, a letter to readers that conveys her own emotional distress over something that would be devastating to most writers, and calling her motives and involvement into question ISN'T going to lead us to interesting discussions about the craft.  It's only going to lead to more speculation, and I think that we owe fellow authors- successful or not, part of this board or not- a lot more respect than that.

I'm saying this as a person, not a moderator- so take my opinion as what it is- an opinion and a plea to say whatever you want about the books, but treat SM the way you would want to be treated, the way that you would want your writing friends to be treated, and maybe most importantly, the way that you would want them treated HERE, on this board.  It says far more about us than it does about her, and I'm feeling uncomfortable enough being part (even the dissenting part) of some of these threads that even though I've greatly enjoyed a lot of our discussions, I'm bowing out now.

Sorry for the rant, guys-  no offense is meant to anyone, and I of course think very highly of you all.  If this were to segue into a discussion of how we would react if our first drafts were leaked, how we would feel, and correspondingly, what the role of the first draft is for us as authors, or how our emotions about a work can play into the writing of it, I would be all over that.  But a "did she, or didn't she" conversation in which we're concentrating on picking apart SM's reaction to the situation and analyzing it for truth value is not for me, and I felt like it was important to say that. 
#10 - August 31, 2008, 12:45 PM
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:22 PM by Jen »

jen just said everything i wanted to say, but articulated it about a hundred times better than i could have.
#11 - August 31, 2008, 01:36 PM

Well said, Jen. Thanks so much for posting that.
I honestly believe if she wanted it "out there" already, she'd have posted it/published it in finished form. I don't care what the situation is with BD, who wouldn't cringe at having an unfinished draft shared without permission? My heart just breaks for her. Forget about success or money or whatever. The loss of trust, and really, a piece of myself (especially an unfinished one!) would be enough for me to lay down my pen for a long while.
#12 - August 31, 2008, 02:08 PM
PRINCESS FOR HIRE Out now!
SEAN GRISWOLD'S HEAD (Bloomsbury, March 2011)
THE ROYAL TREATMENT (Hyperion, May 2011)

Jen, I agree.  I can't help but think how I'd feel if someone did something like this to me.  Thanks for your post.
#13 - August 31, 2008, 02:25 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Harrietthespy

Sorry for the rant, guys-  no offense is meant to anyone, and I of course think very highly of you all. 

None taken.  You said a mouthful, Jen.  Keep preaching, darlin'

If it happened to me I wouldn't be mad - I'd be lethal.  The Midnight Sun leak (and the leaked Twilight scripts) have gotten waaaay out of control.
#14 - August 31, 2008, 02:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thanks for posting that Jen.
#15 - August 31, 2008, 03:20 PM

wasn't it implied that the leak was an "accident"
and unintentional?

which can easily happen in the big bad world of www.
#16 - August 31, 2008, 05:29 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

Traci Dee

It's eerie that you posted that, Jen, because I've been thinking about all that stuff.  It's been interesting to see how Meyer's books have been taken apart and put back together on the blueboards (in a way that blueboarders' books most definitely have not been) and I've often figured it's been done with such thoroughness in Meyer's case *because* she doesn't belong to our little clique.  She's not one of us so what does it matter what's said about her and her work?  Isn't that the normal tendency of groups--any group--to protect its own while tearing into outsiders?  I'm not saying it's right, understand, but it is human nature.  What's good about your post is that it reminds us that not only are we human, but Meyer is too.
#17 - August 31, 2008, 06:21 PM

Harrietthespy

Actually, no.  I don't think it's the "she's not family" issue, at all.

The "picking apart" came after increasingly bizarre interviews that seemed to dismiss the writing process.  It was kind of a "Madonna" moment that went viral as she did more interviews.  For instance - saying that she was the first author to write a book depicting a human/vampire love story.  Or blaming the readers for commenting when she broke her own canons.  And claiming the "Rob Effect" will make us love her writing more.  Or complaining about the excessive editorial revisions made on the first three.

Over at Amazon and LiveJournal - those things touched off a huge firestorm, which is why I argued it was time for her to disappear and regroup. Then her managed discussion boards put up rules restricting what their own members could say about a book and directed them to a site called Dark Side to make those comments.  SM put herself in the path of it by not employing (or listening) to a PR person.

But Jen does make a good point about the other stuff.

She's "young" in the field and I'll give her a pass, because what is happening to her now this is the WORST way to get schooled in the business.  I can dislike a book, without dissing the person behind it (Madonna and celebrities excepted). 

Some things are not fair game.  Leaking someone's unfinished manuscript is about as low as you can get.
#18 - August 31, 2008, 07:12 PM

Bracken

New!
I still don't understand her rationale in saying she didn't want anyone to read that version, but two sentences later decides to post it all without any kind of modification.  That's what confuses me about this whole thing, and I think that's the only reason why people seem suspicious.  I'm not sure it's meant in a nasty way, either, I think people are just genuinely intrigued by the whole thing. 

#19 - August 31, 2008, 08:18 PM
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:33 PM by Alex Bracken »

It's been interesting to see how Meyer's books have been taken apart and put back together on the blueboards (in a way that blueboarders' books most definitely have not been) and I've often figured it's been done with such thoroughness in Meyer's case *because* she doesn't belong to our little clique. 

I don't think this is correct at all, Traci Dee.  :D SM's books have always been hot topics on the BB simply because more people here have read them and that inspires discussion. Most of our reading tastes are scattered -- I posted a year ago about a lovely book I'd read called IN THE BREAK, by Jack Lopez, and had not one single response to the post --  apparently no one else had read it or thought it worthy of commenting on. This happens a lot in the book section.

Go through and read the thread for Jay Asher's (Jay is a BB) book, 13 REASONS WHY, those comments, too, are all over the map: some adoration, others ponderous, some in disagreement with his plot points or "message." Why? Because it was a best seller -- there's always more "lively" discussions about a book tons of us have read.
#20 - September 01, 2008, 05:40 AM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Raynbow

I still don't understand her rationale in saying she didn't want anyone to read that version, but two sentences later decides to post it all without any kind of modification.  That's what confuses me about this whole thing, and I think that's the only reason why people seem suspicious.  I'm not sure it's meant in a nasty way, either, I think people are just genuinely intrigued by the whole thing. 

My take on the above, from reading her site, iis that since the draft was already out there, she didn't want her fans feeling a moral conflict by searching for it on the web when she was so upset about the entire thing. I think she did it to benefit those young girls who would probably agonize over the decision to try to find the viraled form or to stay loyal to SM.

When SM first wrote Twilight she gave several copies to trusted friends. (I've been following her career for about a year, her story inspired me to start writing, which is a whole different story) I think she has kept up that practice even with her huge success. What I think happened is that a friend gave a copy to a friend that gave a copy to a friend who put it out there on the web. This is so sad for her but probably a lesson she needed to learn. I always thought the extremes they went to with Harry Potter were silly. There was that story about taking the rough draft on a plane and the assistant sat on it the whole way. Now I see why those crazy measures are taken.

When my brilliant novel  :ha becomes a hit, I'll take a lesson from this. I even started worrying about where it is now (for a few minutes), but since I can't sell it yet, who'd want it?

I know I just joined this group, but I only joined because it felt safe and kind here. Some other discussion boards have scared me off. There were too many nasty discussions and too many mentions of snarky women that seemed proud of their snarkiness.

I also think it's a little sad for SM that she got the success she did so fast. This sounds crazy, but this is why I think this. I just joined this board, after 8 months of rejection after rejection, to meet and talk with people about writing. She never got a chance to develop relationships and friendships with other writers. I'm sure she has met other writers now, but they aren't the same kinds of relationships you develop before you make it.

Just my 2 cents.
#21 - September 01, 2008, 05:41 AM
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:54 PM by Raynbow »

I do know that those copies that she gave out to that English class at BYU got copied and others read them.  Someone even asked if I wanted to read them on the condition I didn't post it on the Internet.  But her daughter had already left to go back to school with the SM copies so I lucked out. 
#22 - September 01, 2008, 07:24 AM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

Harrietthespy

When my brilliant novel  :ha becomes a hit, I'll take a lesson from this.

I know I just joined this group, but I only joined because it felt safe and kind here.

Me to.  I'm going to direct my agents to market my work under the name "Anonie Mous" so I can critique my own work on blueboards and listen in to what people say.  :smile

And welcome to the Blueboards - we are passionate, but we love and support each other. Sometimes the sibling spats get lively,  :grrr  but there's an underlying respect for a diversity of opinions.

:love

Glad to have you as part of the family!

#23 - September 01, 2008, 09:23 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
Dear Jen,

I think you are SO awesome.

All best,
Lisa
#24 - September 01, 2008, 03:29 PM
The Bridge From Me to You, Scholastic
plus five other YA novels
It's Raining Cupcakes trilogy
Charmed Life series
http://www.lisaschroederbooks.com

Myrrhine

But only a friendly note: for those of you that read the chapters, what did you think of them?

I've read about 100 pages of MS, and I really enjoy Edward's pov. I did think there was a risk of making Bella seem toooo wonderful because of Edward's smitten point of view. Toning down his mental comments about how good, selfless, giving, etc. Bella is would be my strongest recommendation for future drafts of the book. I like reading it though. Not that it's perfect, but it's far enough along that I can really enjoy it (as I did Twilight, fwiw).
#25 - September 01, 2008, 05:21 PM

Quzi

People either have short memories or I have a longer one, but Stephenie Meyer WAS on the blueboard back when she first wrote Twilight. Doesn't anyone else remember this? I do because I thought 'oh no not another vampire book, didn't Rice do those to death?' at the time. SM wasn't on long-a year maybe or eighteen months at the most and then things got too busy and you simply can't post everywhere. It seemed to me that she chose to focus on the discussion pages on her website.

nice post Jen
S
#26 - September 02, 2008, 05:09 AM

Harrietthespy

Courtney,

I went to see what you were talking about.  You're right - old versions of adobe don't work.  I just downloaded a new one (free) and then downloaded her authorized MS file.  She went to the new version of Adobe for the enhanced security - which I think is very smart.

Quzi,

Wow!  I wish she had stayed.  This might have turned out differently and she could have found the nurturing she needed (without the rabid fan worship).  Though, if I were in her shoes, I'd be worried about the effect of her celebrity on the boards -- i.e  I have friends who had to drop out of their favorite venues because it attracted too much attention from fans and other people having nothing to do with the topic.  They became the "focus" rather than part of the gang.  Now I know of closed writing boards where you have to be invited in.  I hope that never happens here.

I've had my share of raucous opinions, but I don't mind being challenged for them.  Like I said, it's been a respectful and joyous group to hang out with.
#27 - September 02, 2008, 07:59 AM

HB

I'm with Jen on this one and I'm just going to take SM at her word on this one.
#28 - September 02, 2008, 12:29 PM

Harrietthespy

If she's a blueboard alum I'll take her word on it too.
#29 - September 02, 2008, 08:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Jen,  :yourock
#30 - September 03, 2008, 04:42 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Members: