SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Citing Kindle sources

Discussion started on

beardedlady

I am having a real hard time getting an answer to this quesiton so I am hoping someone out there can solve this mystery. I have tried amazon and other boards and i am coming up empty handed...

Does anyone know how to cite kindle sources? The kindle does not use page numbers but instead use "locations" which are varied like "1045-1052"?
#1 - October 01, 2008, 05:50 AM

wheelertop

Oh, that is a hard one. I had no idea- I had thougth about getting one for research, but I had assumed they matched the print version better. I'm betting there isn't a "proper" way to do it yet. You might end up making one up, based on the system you are using (apa, mla, etc). Maybe title, then "Amazon Kindle Text: location 1045-1046."

Just a thought
#2 - October 01, 2008, 09:14 AM

blythe

A kindle text is "pageless" in the way that a scroll is "pageless"--you just need to point to place on the scroll.

Consider that this is not much different than practice of referring to passages in the classical index locorum. The goal is to point the reader to the location of the cited text, so all you need to do is make clear which edition you are using and then use the locators provided in the text.

#3 - October 01, 2008, 09:29 AM

beardedlady

Hi guys, I found a thread on this issue on amazon. An editor wrote that she does not think it is acceptable to use page locations because the reader would need the kindle in order to reference the work. Thus, i have to go hunt down page numbers. ick.

I actually am going to try to use the location reference and see what my editor says instead. As you said....technically I am citing the exact place where I got the info.
#4 - October 01, 2008, 12:38 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, I don't know about that, Carlyn.  Books are available to everybody through the library, but the Kindle not.  I often find a source through my library services, but I cite the actual paper ... yes, it's a pain to go hunt stuff down sometimes, but you'll be better off for it.

By the way, I am looking forward to reading your new book ... looks juicy!
Vijaya
#5 - October 02, 2008, 09:07 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Hey lucky,

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I might be able to help. I read on one of the Kindle forums a while back that someone figured out how to get a close approximation of the actual book's page numbers. Here's the formula they shared--In font size 3, take the location number and divide by 20.3. According to the poster, this should get you close to the actual page number. I've never tried it, but I kept the post for future reference. Let me know if you use it and how it works. Good luck!

Katy
#6 - October 27, 2008, 06:18 AM
ALIENS GET THE SNIFFLES TOO! Candlewick, 2017
LOUD LULA, Two Lions 2015
CALIFORNIA HISTORY FOR KIDS, CRP
FARMER MCPEEPERS Rising Moon

beardedlady

Katy thanks for the tip! I am going to try this out.
#7 - November 18, 2008, 07:53 AM

Members: