SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Airships

Discussion started on

merewald

I was wondering if anyone knew, or could point me in the direction of, information on the structure of passenger airships in the 1930s (my story takes place in 1938). Like, what were they like inside, where did the passengers stay, etc.
#1 - October 16, 2008, 05:54 PM

Virginia Bartolus

Try the book The Giant Airships from the Time-Life Books series. It came out in 1980 and might be hard to find, but it has wonderfully detailed cross-sections of the Hindenburg and the Graf Zeppelin, and it has a lot of information I couldn't find anywhere else. Unfortunately, it says that the last passenger trip on an airship happened in 1937. While the Hindenburg was crashing, the Graf Zeppelin made its final flight over the Atlantic. After that, there weren't any more passenger trips (there were military airships in Germany, used for spying, though). Can you set your story in 1937? I hope you figure it out, merewald!  :plane

#2 - October 16, 2008, 08:28 PM

merewald

Oh, thanks so much! I looked it up and there's a couple of copies really cheap on amazon, so I think I'll purchase one. I'd love to get a look at a cross-section.

Man, last flight was in 1937? I was one year off! No! I'll have to think about what to do. My story is about a flight that took place "off-the-books" so to speak, so I could maybe stretch reality and keep it 1938. Or would that be too unrealistic? Or maybe I'll just have it set in 1937. It's only one year earlier and it shouldn't change my story all that much. I'll have to think on it.

Thanks again!  :hug
#3 - October 16, 2008, 08:59 PM

Virginia Bartolus

...or you could just look at the links Auntybooks listed.  :yup

But that book is worth reading. It has photographs of the passengers inside the ships, and a lot of details I couldn't find anywhere else. Plus, books are better than the Internet.  :moose :goodluck
#5 - October 16, 2008, 09:27 PM

FairDamsel

I'd check out the links Mary suggested. The Time-Life book sounds like it has much of what you need.

A couple of other thoughts:

A college or university library probably has additional resources that a public library wouldn't have, such as older magazines and/or books. It might be worth seeking the help of a college science librarian.

The corporations that built the dirigibles may have resources they'd be willing to share. They would be likely to have library or information centers which you could call or e-mail. I'm thinking of Goodyear--although I don't know if they ever built passenger airships.

Good luck!

#6 - October 22, 2008, 06:56 PM

Bryan M

merewald:

You may have already found your answers from the resources provided in this string, but airships consisted of a metal frame with the fabric stretched over it.  The passengers rode in the compartment mounted beneath.  You may also want to incorporate the gas used to provide lift, which was helium and highly flammable (Hindenburg).
#7 - October 29, 2008, 02:32 PM

merewald

Thanks again everyone!
#8 - November 01, 2008, 06:15 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Not a non-fiction suggestion, but Kenneth Oppel's AIRBORN might be worth a read!  :goodluck

http://www.airborn.ca/
#9 - November 02, 2008, 05:47 AM

merewald

Not a non-fiction suggestion, but Kenneth Oppel's AIRBORN might be worth a read!  :goodluck

http://www.airborn.ca/

Actually, Oppel's the reason I've got airship fever. After reading his books, I became very interested in airships. Great books, aren't they? I'm up to #3.
#10 - November 02, 2008, 03:19 PM

Members: