SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

email from Highlights re: puzzles

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Just got this in my in-box and thought someone would be interested...

Dear Puzzle Contributor, We are writing to let you know that Highlights for Children is in need ofpuzzles for its Puzzlemania book club for children ages 6–10. Below you’llfind detailed guidelines for submissions. PDFs of sample puzzles are available on request. General questions should be sent toPuzzles@Highlights-corp.com. Please put “question” in the subject line. We look forward to receiving your puzzles.  Sincerely, The Editors 

Puzzlemania Puzzle GuidelinesWe are looking for word puzzles—crosswords, word searches, logic puzzles,word scrambles, and codes—with fresh, original, contemporary themes thatinclude strong elements of humor and surprise. Puzzles should be rewardingand enlightening rather than instructive. The best puzzles will include a“payoff,” such as the answer to a riddle. Above all, puzzles must be fun.Subjects should be chosen with illustration in mind. Clues should beplayful and lively, and puzzles should be carefully tested for solvability.Inclusion of objects/pictures from everyday life and popular culture arepluses. Every puzzle must include an answer key. 

General• We prefer electronic submissions. Puzzles may appear in the body of thee-mail or as PDF attachments.• We pay for puzzles on acceptance. Payment varies.• We buy all rights, including copyright, and do not consider previouslypublished material.• We prefer to see a finished puzzle rather than a query.• Direct all puzzle submissions to puzzles@highlights-corp.com . Put PMpuzzle submission in the e-mail subject box. Include your name, mailingaddress, phone number, and puzzle type as well as a suggested title foryour puzzle. 

Crossword puzzles should feature words that are interesting—yet haveeveryday familiarity—to kids. Grids may be the symmetrical or thecrisscross variety, with 12–15 words. Subjects should be highly visual andreadily lend themselves to illustration. Clues should be simple, specific,and straightforward; picture clues are acceptable. Bonus features: a gridthat forms an interesting shape, a puzzle whose answer reveals a rhyme orsaying or answer to a riddle. Every puzzle must include an answer key. For each puzzle, send a numbered, filled-in grid. On clue pages, list eachanswer to the right of the clue. Submissions in Crossword Compiler or asimilar program are OK. Word Searches should have a minimum of 15 words that are interesting—andmostly familiar—to kids. Words may read up, down, across, diagonally, andbackward.

Subjects should be highly visual and readily lend themselves toillustration. Of particular interest are word searches in which the gridsform unusual shapes (ie., a letter of the alphabet for words beginning withthat letter or a rocket ship for space-related words) or contain a bonuspayoff (ie. leftover letters spell the answer to a riddle). Logic Puzzles should contain at least three variables, and should be highlyvisual and entertaining. A box where kids keep track of the answers isoptional. Word Scrambles should be highly visual, entertaining, and fun. Words shouldbe familiar to kids, yet interesting, and scrambled in interesting andhumorous ways (ie. brino is more fun than nrbio as an anagram for robin). Apuzzle with a story line or context is preferable to a simple list ofscrambled words. Word Codes should be highly visual, entertaining, and fun. Words should befamiliar to kids, yet interesting. Solving a code should provide anadditional payoff such as the solution to a mystery, a fun fact, or asurprise visual element incorporated in the page.
#1 - October 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Wow!  Thanks, Leahmiapia!
Jody
#2 - October 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Rena

Cool -- thanks for the info!
#3 - October 24, 2008, 01:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks, leahmiapia!   :thankyou  Sounds like fun!
#4 - October 24, 2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks for sharing!
#5 - October 24, 2008, 09:48 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Great info (and fun!) Did it say who to address the email to? Laurie
#6 - October 31, 2008, 12:08 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
What's posted is everything they sent me.  I did email them a question, and they sent back a reply from "the editors."  "Dear Editor" is probably who I'll address my sub to.
#7 - October 31, 2008, 09:10 PM
--Sydney Smith

cindybb

I have been corresponding with the Puzzlemania editors, asking for samples, asking questions, and sending in submissions.  Their most recent response included the following IMPORTANT information!

Please send all future correspondence to the following address:
hfcpuzzlemania@gmail.com. Put your last name and the title of your puzzle
in the e-mail subject line. Please send a separate e-mail for each puzzle.
Include your name, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address as
well as a suggested title for your puzzle.

Sincerely,
The Puzzlemania Team

Good luck to everyone

Cindy
#8 - November 10, 2008, 06:21 AM

Did anyone submit to the original email address, and if so, have you received a response? I subbed a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything.
#9 - November 10, 2008, 07:16 AM

cindybb

I have submitted a couple to the old address.  I haven't received a response, but the fact that they answered my question, also sent to the old address, tells me that it is still "active" and they continue to check it. 

So, like with all my other submissions, I will continue to wait.

Cindy
#10 - November 10, 2008, 08:05 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I also sent to the old address and haven't yet heard. Waiting is...
#11 - November 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I heard this morning on three puzzles subbed (together) 10/31.  Short and sweet: "Thank you for your recent Puzzlemania submissions. We feel that your puzzles do not meet our needs. "

Oh well, I'll keep trying.  Anyone have any insider tips, other than what they said in the original email?  Thanks, Cindy, for the update on email addy.

Good luck, everyone who's waiting!

:)  Sara
#12 - November 10, 2008, 08:49 AM
--Sydney Smith

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Ironically, I just heard from them.  I subbed two puzzles in separate emails to the old address, but unfortunately I didn't indicate the puzzle title in the subject line, so I don't know which one they said didn't meet their needs.  Ah well!   :eh2
Jody
#13 - November 10, 2008, 08:50 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

cindybb

Jody -

I am in the same boat!  I just received the same form e-ject.  I submitted two puzzles separately with the type (word scramble, word find)  in the title line but I still  have no clue whether they don't want one, the other or both! 

I guess if an offer comes through on one, I'll know for sure! (Have to keep optimistic!)

Cindy
#14 - November 10, 2008, 08:59 AM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:02 AM by cindybb »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi, Cindy!  Yep, gotta' look for the silver lining!   :yup
Jody
#15 - November 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I spoke too soon since I've also received the same rejection this a.m. At least the wait is over, and I'm in good company!  :smile
#16 - November 10, 2008, 11:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I didn't know to send the word searches in separate emails, so there was no confusion when I received my eject today. They didn't want any of them. Oh, well. It was fun creating them.
#17 - November 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com

cindybb

Hey Jody (and anyone else who is still awaiting word)

perhaps one of our puzzles has made the "first cut".  I sent mine in one each last  Monday and Tuesday, so their response time seems to be pretty quick. 

Laurie - I'm right with you.  It was a fun change of pace to do some puzzles, whether or not they get accepted. 

Everyone - keep us all posted!
Cindy
#18 - November 10, 2008, 04:40 PM

Dani

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm glad I searched this forum.  I emailed a puzzle on 11/14/08 and one on 11/15/08.

I haven't heard anything about the 11/14/08 puzzle, but I received an email today (11/19/08) for the 11/15/08 puzzle:
"Thank you for your recent Puzzlemania submission. We have considered your puzzle and find it not quite right for our current needs."

I'll try again with something different once I figure out what wasn't quite right about that one. 

Dani
#19 - November 19, 2008, 09:42 PM

cindybb

:drinking The waiting is over -  I received an e-contract today for my word scramble sumbitted earlier this month.  (Now I know that the earlier rejection was for the word search).
They buy all rights, as was expected.   
Promise to pay within two weeks of receiving signed contract.

Jody - hope you hear good news soon on your "other" one!

Cindy
#20 - November 26, 2008, 06:54 AM
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:15 AM by cindybb »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Ooh, Cindy!  Great news!   :cheerleader
Jody
#21 - November 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

MaudeStephany

I got a "yes" today too...  :hurrah for those of us with  :contract3 ...  :grouphug2 for the ones who got this  :rejection instead.

Maude
#22 - November 26, 2008, 10:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yippee, Maude! :whitebunny
Jody
#23 - November 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Is Highlights still in need of puzzles?  I've done some in the past just for fun but never sent them in for submission to a mag.  Never thought about doing it.

Can anyone give me some additional info on this?
#24 - November 26, 2008, 01:14 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
This is Highlights Puzzlemania, which isn't the monthly mag (which has its own needs/guidelines list).  When I emailed them asking if they had some sort of deadline, they said their need for puzzles was on-going.
#25 - November 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
--Sydney Smith

Cool.  Thanks leahmiapia.  I'll take a look!
#26 - November 26, 2008, 02:11 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Cindy and Maude!!  :woo  That's terrific news!
#27 - November 26, 2008, 05:25 PM

cindybb

Congrats, Maude!  What type of puzzle did you do?

Leahmiapia - thanks for checking on the need.  I was wondering if I should spend the time working on some more, or pick another project. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Cindy
#28 - November 27, 2008, 02:14 PM

MaudeStephany

I did a crossword with a food (wraps) focus.

Maude
#29 - November 27, 2008, 05:43 PM

Members: