SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Anybody out there live in BC?

Discussion started on

Being a Newbie, I'm not really sure who is from where...all I know is that this is a fabulous forum with a gazillion extremely talented people who are more than willing to dispense with great advice. I'm so glad I landed here!
I reside on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, and was wondering how many western canucks are hanging out here. I also check out the CANSCAIP pages from time to time, but there seems to be very little activity there...unless you are a torontonian. Even still, their forums are eerily silent!
Just a wonderin'...
#1 - October 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

MaudeStephany

Hi CarolAnn

A bunch of us crazy Canucks living in BC have been at SIWC in Surrey over the weekend. I spotted more than just a few from Vancouver way... not to mention Victoria too. I found a bunch from Abbotsford (and we'll be starting a REAL LIVE crit group in the area soon).

I suggest that you speak up here...  we're everywhere!

Maude  :broccoli
#2 - October 26, 2008, 10:44 AM

SimplyFi

Maude said:
I suggest that you speak up here...  we're everywhere!

Yes,  :moose everywhere....mwahahaha. 

I'm on the lower mainland.  If you're in the Victoria area, check out the Victoria Children's Literature Roundtable:

http://www.library.ubc.ca/edlib/table/round/rounds/victoria.htm

http://www.victoriachildrensliteratureroundtable.blogspot.com/

#3 - October 26, 2008, 11:39 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I live in Ontario now but partially grew up in Comox BC. I've also moved back several times (my hubby was in the military). I SO miss it. My oldest daughter is going to University in BC (as she misses it too) so I hope to go visit more often. She'll be near Vancouver, most of my family lives on the Island.
Next time I go visit I'll give a shout and maybe some of us can get together.

Alma
#4 - October 26, 2008, 03:51 PM
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 03:53 PM by Amishka »
GG Finalist, Golden Oak award, CLA BofY Honor Book, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award, TD09 Finalist, Yalsa Quickpick, Stellar shortlist, MYRCA shortlist

I guess this post is kinda old, but I just saw it now. I'm from Abbotsford. I only personally know one other writer from Kelowna and one from Campbell River I think.

Anyway, yes, this is a great group!
#5 - December 21, 2008, 08:34 PM
www.denisejaden.com  
Losing Faith & Never Enough (Simon Pulse)
Writing With A Heavy Heart (2012)
Fast Fiction (NWL 2014)
Foreign Exchange (ET 2014)

MaudeStephany

Welcome Denise... good to see you... I'm in Chilliwack... perhaps you would like to meet in the near future??

Maude  :broccoli
#6 - December 22, 2008, 05:48 AM

Donna Farley

Hello all-- I see this is an old topic. I'm in Surrey, BC, where I've occasionally given workshops with the now-defuct CWDP continuing ed program. Anyone else from our neck of the woods joined the boards since the last post on this thread in 2008? I know Lois Peterson is around too-- she is now heading up the private Surrey Writers School.
#7 - February 22, 2010, 09:27 PM

Donna Farley

Maude, thanks for your PM-- I can't reply privately to it because I haven't racked up enough board posts yet.

I went to the SIWC in its early years a few times, at least once as a volunteer-- just haven't had time in more recent years. Because I write SF & Fantasy, I also go many years to V-Con, the Vancouver SF convention. I am looking into CWILL BC at the moment-- maybe I will see you at that conference!
#8 - February 23, 2010, 10:25 AM

Donna Farley

For anyone else who might be interested, here's the CWILL BC page:

http://www.cwill.bc.ca/
#9 - February 23, 2010, 10:28 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I live in Penticton now, but have moved around a lot and have lived all over BC: up north, the island, the kootenays, the lower mainland, as well as 6 years in Toronto.

I must have missed this thread before...nice to see other BCers here!
#10 - February 23, 2010, 11:16 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

SimplyFi

I am looking into CWILL BC at the moment-- maybe I will see you at that conference!

Conference?    :eh2
#11 - February 23, 2010, 11:22 AM

Donna Farley

In a PM to me, MaudeStephany mentioned a conference in Burnaby in May, but I couldn't find any info on the CWILL site yet. MaudeStephany, could you post the info here for all of us?
#12 - February 23, 2010, 02:34 PM

MaudeStephany

I'm not a member, but I do have a few friends who are. Here is the information that I have:

Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators
(Canada West Region)
WestCwic 2010
Western Canada Children’s Writers & Illustrators Conference
Saturday May 8, 2010
9:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Door Opens: 8:30 A.M.
Salon E (Illustrators Workshop)
Holiday Inn Express, Metrotown (at Station Square),
4405 Central Boulevard, Burnaby, B.C., V5H 4M3
www.hiexpress.com/yvr-burnaby
Guests:
Nan Gregory
Author, How Smudge Came
Jared Hunt
Senior Editor, Gumboot Books
R. David Stephens
Senior Editor, Tradewind Books
David J. Smith
Author, If the World Were a Village
Sally Harding
Agent, The Cooke Agency
Scot Ritchie
Illustrator, Follow That Map
Crystal Stranaghan
Publisher, Gumboot Books
Meg Tilly
Author, Gemma
Valerie Wyatt
Senior Editor, Kids Can Press
Editor’s Panel: Jared Hunt, R. David Stephens, Valerie Wyatt
Nan Gregory: On Picture Books
Sally Harding: What Does Your Query Letter Really Say?
David J. Smith & Valerie Wyatt: Author and Editor—A Two-Way Dialogue
Crystal Stranaghan: What You Should Really Do With Rejection Letters
Meg Tilly: The Writing Mojo—Lost and Found
Scot Ritchie: Illustrator’s Workshop—What It Means to Be a Professional Artist/How I Work/Best
Tips/Portfolio Critique
Fees for Main Conference
Basic Registration Fee (Early-Bird—By April 30 2010):
$80 for SCBWI members $90 for non-members
Basic Fee After April 30 2010:
$90 for SCBWI members $100 for non-members
Lunch NOT included (several restaurants are nearby)
15-minute Manuscript Consultation with an Editor: $35
 Choice of Jared Hunt, R. David Stephens, Crystal Stranaghan, Valerie Wyatt
 Mail in manuscript prior to conference date
10-minute Pitch Session with agent Sally: $30
Fees for Illustrators Workshop
The Illustrators Workshop is a concurrent event at the conference, and the fee structure is different than for the main conference itself. There are two workshop sessions, one for the morning, 9:30 to 11:45 a.m., and one for the afternoon, 1:00 to 3:15 pm. Both workshops are the same, so please indicate whether you prefer the Morning Session or the Afternoon Session. Each session allows a maximum of 12 participants.
*Important Note: If not enough people sign up for the afternoon session by April 30 2010, then the workshop will be a Morning Only event.
Please bring your portfolio to the workshop.
Workshop-Only Fee (Early-Bird—By April 30 2010):
$60 for SCBWI members $70 for non-members
(Registrants only attend workshop and no part of main conference)
Workshop + Conference (Early-Bird—By April 30 2010):
$80 for SCBWI members $90 for non-members
(Registrants attend workshop AND part of main conference)
Workshop-Only Fee After April 30 2010:
$70 for SCBWI members $80 for non-members
Workshop + Conference After April 30 2010:
$90 for SCBWI members $100 for non-members
Make cheques payable to SCBWI-Western Canada.
Mail payments to Ken Kilback, #110—6630 McKay Avenue, Burnaby, B.C., Canada, V5H 2X2
Important Note: No refunds after April 30, 2010
Lodging
For those people interested, rooms at the Holiday Inn are available at a reduced rate during the weekend of the conference. To qualify for this reduced rate, you MUST phone the Holiday Inn Express at 1-877-323-1177, mention that you are attending the conference, and ask for the “Catering Discount Rate.” By reserving a room on-line, you will NOT be able to access the reduced room rate.
Parking/Transit
Free underground parking is located underneath the Holiday Inn. Entrance to the parking is off Central Boulevard.
Metrotown Station Bus Loop and Metrotown SkyTrain Station are very close to the Inn.
Manuscript Consultations—Guidelines
 Manuscripts must follow standard submission format (typed, double-spaced, 12 pt font in Times or Arial). See the Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market guide or The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Publishing Children’s Books.
 For picture book manuscripts, send in the entire manuscript.
 For middle-grade and young-adult manuscripts, send in the first chapter and a one page synopsis of your story.
 Please do not staple.
 Ensure the first page of the manuscript includes your title, book category (e.g. Picture Book, Middle Grade, Young Adult, etc.), your name, address, phone number, and email address. Make sure your name and title are on all subsequent pages.
 Mail manuscripts flat in a 9” x 12” envelope to: SCBWI WestCwic Consultations, c/o Ken Kilback, #110—6630 McKay Avenue, Burnaby, B.C., Canada, V5H 2X2.
 Payment for Basic Registration Fee AND Manuscript Consultation Fee MUST precede or accompany the submission in order for the manuscript to be forwarded to a reviewer.
 Please include two copies of your manuscript in the submission.
 Any notes from a reviewer for a particular manuscript submission cannot be made available to anyone who is later unable to attend the conference.
 Submissions must be received by Wednesday April 21 2010.
 The number of appointments for Manuscript Consultations is limited, so appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis as long as the manuscript follows the guidelines here and as long as proper payment has been received.
 Some manuscripts may be held on a wait list in the order of date received in case additional time-slots become available or other people have cancelled appointments.
For more information contact:
Ken Kilback rawest@scbwicanada.org
Regional Advisor, SCBWI-Western Canada, www.scbwicanada.org/west

Hope that helps....

Maude  :frog
#13 - February 23, 2010, 03:15 PM

SimplyFi

The SCBWI conference?  Sorry... SCBWI hasn't come up in this thread, so I didn't realize that's what you were talking about. Guess you must have mentioned it in your PM.  Thanks!
#14 - February 23, 2010, 04:27 PM

SimplyFi

In a PM to me, MaudeStephany mentioned a conference in Burnaby in May, but I couldn't find any info on the CWILL site yet.

Just saw this.  Now I'm *really* confused. The info MaudeStephany posted is about a conference put on by SCBWI, not CWILL, so that's why you can't find info about it on the CWILL site.  Here's the SCBWI Western Canada conference info webpage:  http://www.scbwicanada.org/west/SCBWIMay2010Conference.html
#15 - February 23, 2010, 04:36 PM

MaudeStephany

I'm blaming all this confusion about acronyms on PMS ... sorry for the confusion ladies.

Maude
#16 - February 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

Donna Farley

Mystery solved. Thanks SimplyFi, and thanks MaudeStefany for posting the info.

#17 - February 23, 2010, 10:55 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Hi there! I live in Vancouver. I just joined, and I haven’t been to any events or anything yet.

Would be interested in hearing about any ongoing meetup or critique groups.

If there is one specifically for MG fantasy, that would be perfect. But that seems unlikely.
#18 - May 29, 2019, 02:02 PM

Members: