SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

analyze your portfolio

Discussion started on

carlynnw

Hello fellow illustrators,

I wanted to share with you a handout that I got this week at my regional SCBWI Illustrator's Schmooze.  It is a detailed checklist put together by Cecilia Yung, art director extraordinaire at Penguin Books for Young Readers, to help artists analyze their portfolios.  Scott Franson, author of UnBrella, has it posted as a pdf on his site and said I'm free to share it here.  Take a peek!  It will really get you thinking about ways to strengthen your portfolio.

Here's where you can find the pdf download on Scott's site:
http://scottefranson.com/3-books/publishing/analyzeportfolio.html
#1 - November 12, 2008, 11:49 AM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Thank you Paper Doll. This looks as if it might work well with a Book Dummy also.

I'll have to print this one out and take a look at my Portfolio.
#2 - November 12, 2008, 01:33 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Paul Schmid

Thanks paperdoll, this is great to have!
#3 - November 12, 2008, 01:37 PM

carlynnw

This looks as if it might work well with a Book Dummy also.

Yes, funny stuff, I hadn't thought of that, but you are right! It would make a great review list for a dummy.  I'll be comparing it to my own dummy-in-progress!
#4 - November 12, 2008, 02:01 PM

jadefrolics

Ow wow! This is exactly what I needed! Thanks a ton :)  :broccoli
#5 - November 12, 2008, 02:09 PM

Mistress of Mayhem
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks! Wish I'd had it before my review last weekend ;)
#6 - November 12, 2008, 03:07 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

Thanks for posting that! I does help put things in perspective.
#7 - November 12, 2008, 04:42 PM

morescribbles

Thank you so much, that's a fantastic link.

Lou
:)
#8 - November 15, 2008, 02:10 PM

hatem

Thanks for sharing this paperdoll,
but I have to admit I am pretty bad with this, I am so hard on myself and sometimes i just wish I could just delete everything and start over haha.. but I will try not to be so dramatic and use it with an art director's eye not a self critic scense.
#9 - January 18, 2009, 04:05 PM

Barbara Eveleth

You've got some great stuff, hatem. A lot of it looks European...like Asterix and Tintin.
#10 - January 19, 2009, 04:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
This would be a great chart to have if a group of illustrators could get together and mark each others portfolio's. I'm afraid, marking my own, wouldn't work.  I wouldn't be critical enough. I think most of us are sure we are doing all of those things listed, even when we are not.
#11 - January 19, 2009, 06:50 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Barbara Eveleth

Agreed.

There is no way in the world that anyone could do all of them simultaneously. I can't name a single illustrator who does.

(So therefore this a utopian model...yet VERY IMPORTANT... like rules for writers.)

Also, art directors (and editors?) look for different things.

To me the most important is visual storytelling.
#12 - January 19, 2009, 06:56 AM

hatem

Thanks AE for the nice words..
I Agree on what Christripp have said, I might get tough on myself sometimes but at the end I have to say there is a certain undefined satisfaction of what I do, sometimes it makes the "what to share" and " what to keep for yourself" choices very difficult for me.
I like to hear what people have to say about my work because I learn a lot from that even about myself.
#13 - January 19, 2009, 06:12 PM

LauraOP

This is fantastic guidance and I'll be putting it into use with my future Dummy book. Thanks for sharing this with us!
#14 - June 27, 2009, 05:10 AM

KenHenson

Bump for greatness!  What a helpful thread! Thank you, Paperdoll.
#15 - May 24, 2010, 12:21 PM

Penn Bender

Very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
#16 - May 25, 2010, 10:46 AM

KenHenson

Here's a similar golden nugget from Brooklyn Arden's blog.  It's buried in a thread several pages deep on this board.

http://chavelaque.blogspot.com/2008/04/squids-101-what-i-like-to-see-in.html
#17 - May 26, 2010, 05:25 AM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Yes!!! I was aware of this and I'd posted it on my blog a while ago! Brooklyn's as well! It is extremely helpful and I give it to anyone who wants to know what they need to have in their childrens' book portfolio. Thanks so much for posting this here as well!!!
#18 - August 11, 2010, 11:45 AM
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:47 AM by WilsonWilliamsJr »

Penn Bender

I love your website WilsonWilliamsJr! Well done.
I'm preparing for a portfolio workshop in Atlanta in a couple of weeks, and checklists and links like these are great tools. (although the original link in this thread has deleted it's information because it was shared without permission of the presenter.)  I think the hardest thing for me is wanting to show originals because the computer print outs are so dark and muted.
#19 - August 18, 2010, 09:43 AM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Thanks so much Penn!!! I understand your frustration about the quality of your prints. I had to go to a few local printers before I found someone who would work with me to get the print outs to accurately reflect what was on screen. (Which is really easy when their printers are calibrated correctly!) I found that smaller printers were much more willing to work with me on this. While bigger chains like Kinko's would tell me it was all my fault and that my images were the problem. Sigh. But once you find someone who does good work, stick with em!! (Assuming you find someone.)

It's too bad that Scott had to take down that checklist. I used it and the list at the other link to dictate how I filled my portfolio. I'd hate for those resources to be lost to illustrators. (It isn't quite lost though. Anything you put up on the web is often archived as far back as 1996.) ;)
Good luck!!
#20 - August 18, 2010, 11:22 AM

George Banagis

Great information thank you.
Hello fellow illustrators,

I wanted to share with you a handout that I got this week at my regional SCBWI Illustrator's Schmooze.  It is a detailed checklist put together by Cecilia Yung, art director extraordinaire at Penguin Books for Young Readers, to help artists analyze their portfolios.  Scott Franson, author of UnBrella, has it posted as a pdf on his site and said I'm free to share it here.  Take a peek!  It will really get you thinking about ways to strengthen your portfolio.

Here's where you can find the pdf download on Scott's site:
http://scottefranson.com/3-books/publishing/analyzeportfolio.html
#21 - September 12, 2010, 06:40 PM

Members: