SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

THE BIG SPLASH by Jack D. Ferraiolo

Discussion started on

Okay, so I went to the Books of Wonder signing over a week ago  :books and got the books and autographs of four writers—two of which are blueboarders.  I got three girl books and one boy book that day.  Shockingly, I read the boy book--THE BIG SPLASH--first.  I say shockingly because I am not into boy books particularly (okay, except Harry Potter) nor am I into “noir”  :trenchguy and THE BIG SPLASH is a boy noir book. But I read it because its author, Jack Ferraiolo-AKA “Jackyboy” as we know him here--did a killer reading at the book signing, and the “voice” of the narrator (MC) was so strong, the bit was so funny, and the characters were so clear. 

So, I gotta officially say I thought this book was great.  It’s just the right balance of grit, humor, and elegance.  Jack’s skill with the English language is enviable (no shock, if you think about it, Jackyboy IS the “daddy” so to speak of PBS’ of WORDGIRL).  It’s got a tight plot, well-crafted characterizations, and a ripping adventure. It really zips at a quick clip, and features amazing turns of phrase and rockin’ similes.  I was laughing or marveling at something on every page.  :reading2 The relationship between the MC and his mom is also wonderful--so real and unique.  There’s also a mystery within a mystery with a solution that can only be revealed in further books in the series. So buy this book and spread the word cuz I want to find out what happens next.  Argh!

Has somebody bought the TV or movie rights to this thing, yet? It seems like it should get on the screen somehow.  Kudos, Jackyboy.  :applause  :applause  :applause  :applause  You are a true talent.  I was most impressed and entertained and I highly recommend THE BIG SPLASH.   :congratulations on a job well done!

#1 - November 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

jackyboy

Holy cow! Thanks, Emerald Gown, for an extremely flattering review...
#2 - November 19, 2008, 06:14 AM
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:12 AM by jackyboy »

jackyboy

And the film/tv rights are being shopped, but no bites yet...
#3 - November 19, 2008, 02:27 PM

Hope you reel one in!  :contract3  A nice big fish! Heh!

And just FYI, I don't flatter.  I really meant it.  You did a great job!  I hope the holiday season is good to you-- and all our blueboarders in the class of '08!  :grouphug2
#4 - November 21, 2008, 08:45 AM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

Members: