SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Question about repeat magazine sales, Highlights in particular

Discussion started on

OK, I'm slightly giddy as I just had my first piece accepted for publication by Highlights magazine! Anyway, I signed the contract they sent me and I was wondering, does anyone ever submit their next piece in the same envelope? Too presumptuous? How long should I wait before sending them my next story?
#1 - December 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I think you might want to use seperate envelopes simply because the contract might go off to someone in the business end of things, and a manuscript might get lost in the shuffle.   :goodluck with future submissions and congratulations on "cracking" Highlights! 
#2 - December 15, 2008, 10:36 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Ann is right about not sending them in the same envelope.

As far as how long to wait, you can go ahead and send your next sub as soon as you want.  If I'm in that situation, I usually say something about being delighted with their recent acceptance of xxx and that I hope the enclosed story yyy will also meet their needs.

Best wishes to you!  :crossedfingers
Ev
#3 - December 15, 2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Ev, I love your line I will definitely use something similar in my next cover letter.

:snoopy

#4 - December 15, 2008, 04:19 PM

Congratulations, Karen! When I returned my contract to Highlights, I included a thank you note. Then about a week later, I subbed something else. I know you entered the Pockets contest, as well. Have you received your entry back yet? I know their website said they'd be returned by the 15th. I'm still waiting on mine.
#5 - December 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

hi writermutt, thanks for the info. I did not get my Pockets story back. I was thinking about that too. They say on their website that they will mail back the stories they are not using by Dec 15th so I figured I'd see something (rejection) this week.
#6 - December 15, 2008, 06:48 PM

Shirley Anne

Always use separate envelopes. They are going to different departments. Congratulations on the Highlights acceptance! I've had a number of manuscripts accepted by Highlights, and they pay right away. However, don't sit around waiting to see your manuscript in print. I'm still waiting and it's been several years since my first acceptance. Nevertheless, it's wonderful to be accepted by that publication.

Shirley Anne
#7 - December 23, 2008, 09:13 AM

richmond8

Shirley Anne, what sorts of stories were they, that you're still waiting for publication?
#8 - December 23, 2008, 11:03 AM

Shirley Anne

My sales to Highlights were poems, with my photographs. I usually write non-fiction, but also some fiction and poetry, and am also a photographer. It isn't unusal to wait a long time for something to appear in Highlights. The Carus Group is the same. For one non-fiction article in Cricket I waited four years, and am now waiting on one for Ladybug (also a poem). Four years was my longest wait. I know authors who have waited much longer. And of course, with the Carus Group, you don't get paid until after publication, and my understanding is they are taking up to six months.

It is good that Highlights pays right away, but I sure would love to have them publish mine soon!

Patience is the key to being an author, but easier said than done.

Shirley Anne

#9 - December 23, 2008, 03:34 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
On the other hand, some things you don't have to wait very long to see published.  I've had multiple crafts and activities accepted by Highlights; the first showed up about a year after acceptance, and the others have followed regularly. 

It's probably quite different with stories; I heard a Highlights veteran say she waited 13 years to see one of her stories published!
#10 - December 23, 2008, 05:29 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

GSJ

Congrats on the contract! Ann H has a good point. Don't submit a manuscript in the same envelope with a contract. The contract will probably never get near an editor. Gale
#11 - January 12, 2009, 12:37 PM

Members: