SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Old threads, new questions

Discussion started on

psychwriter

Sometimes I read old threads and I have new questions about them.  Would it be better to post my question on the old thread or to start a new one?
#1 - January 01, 2009, 10:20 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Usually it's better to post in the old thread.  That keeps the entire topic in one place, so other people with the same questions  you have can find all the information about that topic in one spot.  This is a very large board and it gets confusing when you have to read multiple threads to get all the info you want and/or need about a single topic. 

:moose
#2 - January 02, 2009, 05:14 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

psychwriter

Thanks, Verla.
#3 - January 02, 2009, 07:22 AM

Jaina

I would suggest that if it's quite old, that you mention it's an old thread when you post to it, just to remind folks who are happening upon it.  The funny thing about old threads is that they might be from 2003 or something . . . and some people's opinions might have changed--or the original poster might not need a question answered anymore, etc.  I cringe when I read some of the things I wrote back then, because I'm so much . . . you know, smarter and more with-it now (just nod your head and smile).  So giving people a heads-up is a good idea.
#4 - January 02, 2009, 08:05 AM

psychwriter

I would suggest that if it's quite old, that you mention it's an old thread when you post to it, just to remind folks who are happening upon it.

I will be sure to do that.  Thanks. 
#5 - January 02, 2009, 08:58 AM

psychwriter

A problem I've noticed (and experienced) is that sometimes people post a follow up question on a thread but get no responses.  I wonder if maybe it's because everyone has already read/commented on the thread already and simply aren't seeing the new question.
#6 - January 16, 2009, 09:42 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
When that happens, psychwriter, it's best to delete the question and repost it in its own thread. At that time, make sure the question you are posing is being posted on a board that will attract the people that you want to answer that particular question.  That way, you can be assured the right people, the people who may have an answer to your question, will see it.   Should you post a question on a board and later realize it should have been on another board instead, ask one of the moderators or administrators to move it for you.  They will be more than happy to oblige, I'm sure. (Otherwise, they will have ME :skull to answer to!  :lol)
#8 - January 17, 2009, 08:34 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Members: