SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

IMPOSSIBLE by Nancy Werlin

Discussion started on

Malinda

Yesterday I reviewed Nancy Werlin's IMPOSSIBLE on my blog. In my "book report" posts I usually try to pick out one technique the author uses in her book and write about that, in addition to a more general kind of review. Here's the beginning of the review:

For the past several days I’ve had Simon & Garfunkel’s rendition of "Scarborough Fair" stuck in my head. Usually it makes me feel kind of nostalgic, because my father used to hum the tune as a lullaby when I was a little kid, but after reading Nancy Werlin’s Impossible, that nostalgia went out the window. (Warning: Spoilers will follow!)

In the lyrics of the traditional folk song, the singer demands three seemingly impossible tasks from a woman before he will accept her as his true love. Werlin’s novel, which is set in the present day, reimagines the song as a curse, and it’s certainly a dark one. All the girls of the Scarborough line are doomed to become pregnant when they are 17, and unless they complete those three tasks, they will go mad after giving birth — and every daughter becomes a possession of the handsome but evil Elfin Knight.

... Go here to read the rest of the review: http://malindalo.com/blog/2009/01/14/book-report-impossible-by-nancy-werlin/

(In case you're wondering, I really enjoyed the book.)
#1 - January 15, 2009, 08:41 AM

Members: