SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Delacorte MG Contest

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
It opened April 1 -- anyone in? I have a MG that I've been writing on and off for oh, about 14 years. I keep finishing it and then put it away and realize it's not done. This year it is DONE -- or at least done enough that I will send it away.

:writing3 :writing3 :writing3 :writing3

<http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/writingcontests/#middlegrade>
here are the rules.
good luck.
amy
#1 - April 10, 2009, 05:56 AM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Thanks for posting this,Amy!
#2 - April 10, 2009, 06:39 AM
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

Avalon Ink

I think I'll be able to submit my novel in time for this... I hope.

I have my doubts whether it will win, it's not remotely like what has won in previous years and its my first... anything writing related, really, but I think it would be fun to try.

(Crap, I didn't even know the term MG existed until tonight.... )
#3 - May 24, 2009, 12:06 AM

AdamV

I'm hoping to enter, but I already sent my query to a couple of agents and manuscript to an editor. I suppose the chances of winning the contest and attracting the interest of one of those agents are pretty slim. It'd be a problem I wouldn't mind having.
#4 - June 03, 2009, 11:42 AM

heartsandflowers

Sorry dumb question, but is it only for MG? Can one of you all post the link...

Thanks Heartsandflowers
#5 - June 03, 2009, 12:22 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm hoping to enter, but I already sent my query to a couple of agents and manuscript to an editor. I suppose the chances of winning the contest and attracting the interest of one of those agents are pretty slim. It'd be a problem I wouldn't mind having.

Here's a line in the rules about multiple submissions:

MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS
1. Manuscripts sent to Delacorte Press may not be submitted to other publishers or literary agents while under consideration for the prize.
#6 - June 03, 2009, 12:23 PM

heartsandflowers

Thanks Mindy Alyse,

Thanks a million...
#8 - June 03, 2009, 12:26 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
You're welcome.  Let us know if you enter, so we can cheer you on.  I'd love to see Blueboarders win both categories this year.
#9 - June 03, 2009, 12:27 PM

heartsandflowers

Oh I am totally going to enter the YA. Only since it doesn't have to be post dated until oct....I have lots of time finish it up..
#10 - June 03, 2009, 12:44 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Oh I am totally going to enter the YA. Only since it doesn't have to be post dated until oct....I have lots of time finish it up..

Good luck! :goodluck
#11 - June 03, 2009, 01:01 PM

DeirdreK

I never understand why they don't allow scifi or fantasy for this one. =(

Good luck to the rest of you, though!
#12 - June 03, 2009, 01:31 PM

AdamV

Anybody enter yet?
#13 - June 18, 2009, 09:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI RA
I'm confused about this topic isn't it too early to enter?  Got this from the website: 1. Manuscripts must be postmarked after October 1, 2009, but no later than December 31, 2009.

Am I reading it wrong?

#14 - June 21, 2009, 02:51 PM
Stacy Barnett Mozer
NE-SCBWI Critique Group Coordinator
www.stacymozer.com
http://sportygirlbooks.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Hi SMozer,
You're reading the rules for the YA contest

here is the link for the MG:  http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/writingcontests/#middlegrade

amy
#15 - June 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Avalon Ink

I'm racing against the clock to get my MS finished by the deadline for this contest.

I sincerely doubt I have a chance, my story is a ghost story set in Washington with an eye towards a series, but if nothing else it's pushed me to finish it!
#16 - June 21, 2009, 07:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI RA
Thanks Amy. Glad I asked!
#17 - June 22, 2009, 03:31 AM
Stacy Barnett Mozer
NE-SCBWI Critique Group Coordinator
www.stacymozer.com
http://sportygirlbooks.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Okay, I'm in. I mailed my manuscript today. I checked and rechecked all the rules and hope I did everything  right. There was a 160 page limit and my ms is 159 1/2.

Laurel  :daffodil
#18 - June 24, 2009, 02:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
By the way, how many people do you think enter this contest? 100's? 1000's?

#19 - June 24, 2009, 04:37 PM

Avalon Ink

Mine's ready as soon as I finish hacking at my intro letter. Mine clocks in at 159 with the last line a bit squished to fit "The End" into it.

Looks like our stories are a bit big for their britches!  (Especially since I've planned an additional 3 pages of changes for post contest queries...)

Good Luck Laurel!
#20 - June 24, 2009, 09:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good luck to you, too, Avalon. I meant to tell you that I love ghost stories. I didn't put The End on my ms. It didn't occur to me. I was just so glad to finally get it in shape to submit. Have I already shot myself in the foot?

#21 - June 24, 2009, 09:27 PM

AdamV

The agents I sent my manuscript to said no, so I mailed it off to the contest yesterday. I don't think 1,000s of people could have entered, could they?

:goodluck
#22 - June 25, 2009, 07:20 AM

Avalon Ink

Good Luck, Adam!

I'm curious how many people typically enter the contest too. Clearly not as many as the YA one. Us lowly wannabe children's writers get no lovin'.

Laurel, my guess is that unless your novel ends with "Then suddenly..."  not having "The End" will hurt your chances! I just got a lot of Yay Me from typing it.

I just dropped mine in the mail yesterday....

Now a brief moment of relaxation before starting my next one...
#23 - June 26, 2009, 11:47 AM

jodilyn13

I tossed my hat in the ring as well. :)  Let's hope one of us wins the prize, if they choose to award one this year!
#24 - July 02, 2009, 06:13 AM

Avalon Ink

Good luck, Jodilyn!

It definitely looks like we have less competition than the YA crowd.
#25 - July 02, 2009, 06:39 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm just hoping I don't get eliminated the first week.  :ohno

#26 - July 02, 2009, 09:50 AM

KenH

Registered a while back but haven't been back for a while, so this is the first time I've seen the topic.  After submitting to the YA contest and waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting...) for a result, I wasn't going to sub to the MG, but I changed my mind and decided to go ahead.  I subbed two MSs, one ~150 pp and the other 159-1/2.  Sounds like a lot of us are at the top end.  Both of mine are for the older MG crowd (10-12y/o), though my 8 y/o would probably read it if the MCs in both weren't female (funny, he's picky that way).  I don't expect we'll hear anything back (other than RLs) until mid November, which is around when they announced last year there wasn't a winner.  So, to all of us: forget about those subs for now and keep cracking on the next one!  And good luck to us all.
#27 - July 23, 2009, 04:42 PM

ABailey

Thanks for letting me know not to expect anything until November. I was looking forward to obsessing for the next 3 months. Any day without the rejection in my mailbox will be a good day.      :waiting
#28 - July 30, 2009, 01:38 PM

Avalon Ink

They don't reject anyone till the big winnah is announced? Blast. In a way, I was kind of looking forward to shopping it around to places. I seem to be having the second book scatterbrains, if that's a thing. Instead of diving in and writing one, I've started 5 and I'm 5,000 to 10,000 words into each...
#29 - July 30, 2009, 03:56 PM

I seem to remember getting a rejection last year in early October...
Actually Sept 25th.
#30 - July 30, 2009, 06:12 PM
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:17 PM by Stephanie J Blake »
Stephanie J. Blake
MY ROTTEN FRIEND (Albert Whitman, September 1, 2015)
THE MARBLE QUEEN (Two Lions, December 1, 2012)

Members: