SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Carus and rights

Discussion started on

psychwriter

I found some old threads on this topic but I wasn't sure if the information had changed.  On the Carus publishing submissions page, it says "rights vary".  What does that mean?  Does that mean I can negotiate rights?  Also it says that the purchase the material outright for recurring features.  Does that mean articles or does that include serialized stories?
#1 - July 18, 2009, 08:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Could you provide a link to the page where it says "rights vary"? For most of the magazines they buy all rights--except photographs, for which they buy only one-time rights. Although I write regularly for Dig and Calliope, I've not had luck negotiating that point with text.

Ah--I've found it, maybe:

http://www.cobblestonepub.com/guides_ckt.html

This is specifically for Cricket, so I don't know. I have heard--somewhere--that some magazines (not sure about the Carus pubs) will buy only, say, first North American serial rights, but pay considerably less than they would for all rights.

I think recurring features would be like the "Ask Calliope" or "Dr. Dig" features in those two magazines. (Not sure offhand what might be a recurring feature in Cricket.) Serialized stories of the writer's own creation, that run for only a couple of issues (as opposed to using characters that recur repeatedly in a magazine), should be something else entirely.

I hope this helps!
#2 - July 19, 2009, 06:23 AM

They generally buy all rights.

After I'd had work published in about ten issues of Cricket, they said they'd like to offer me First NA rights now.
#3 - July 19, 2009, 05:47 PM

The Cobblestone magazines (Appleseeds, Calliope, Cobblestone. Dig, Faces, and Odyssey) buy all rights.

Marcia
#4 - July 21, 2009, 12:04 PM
Author of over 100 nonfiction books and 500 magazine articles for young readers

psychwriter

Thanks everyone. 
#5 - July 21, 2009, 01:05 PM

Chris P

I know this thread is old, but I figured having similar info in the same thread was better than starting a new thread.

I have a series of stories I hope will be a recurring feature in Cricket. Their submissions page says they buy all rights. If I wanted to compile the published stories into a book does that mean I won't be able to unless they agree? Has anyone here done this? Was Cricket pretty amenable to it, or not? The reason I ask is someone on another board hinted that Carus is shunned by the big names in kidlit because of this "rights grabbing." It's such a big name I'd hate to pass it up, but a book of stories will probably be more lucrative than the stories, even at 25 cents per word.
#6 - July 25, 2011, 07:12 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Since Carus- is in the same company as Cricket Publishing I doubt they would be open to going out of their "houses" - though they are probably open to writers who have done things for their magazines- expanding the idea for a book they would publish-
#7 - July 25, 2011, 09:11 AM

Carus/Cricket HAS been willing to go with "First Rights" coupled with "nonexclusive reprint rights" which is basically the same package you sign away to HIGHLIGHTS. It means they can use the stories as much as they want/need but that you still have the right to use them as well -- thus allowing you to use them in a book someday. Assuming they want the stories, it would be worth discussing with the editor. I have heard of folks getting different rights packages from them though all amount to allowing Carus/Cricket unlimited use.
#8 - July 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Chris P

Nice! I wasn't sure how flexible Carus was on their contracts. Seems like it's worth a try, then. I didn't want to wait six months to hear back only to tell them I wanted to do a book and them not let me; I could have submitted elsewhere and maybe got the rights I wanted. I didn't want to withdraw the MS if I didn't have to.
#9 - July 25, 2011, 10:33 AM

Members: