SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Demographic Poll

Discussion started on

ladylind

Everybody,

Has there ever been a demographic poll of the members?  I am totally curious to see how many of the group are PB's, MG's, published, illustrators, etc.  I think I saw a poll option somewhere but don't know how to use it.  I would be willing to set it up if somebody showed me how or if it is possible.

Thanks,

Ladylind :goat
#1 - July 31, 2009, 06:15 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Fun idea. Go to the main section/header of a category (like Goodie Goodie or Other stuff). On the (sort of upper) right you'll see buttons (like New Topic). One is "New poll.") You'll figure it out from there. (It doesn't show from within an individual thread.) Looking forward to it!
#2 - July 31, 2009, 09:33 AM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It's a good idea to always give pollers the option to change their answer to the poll so if they accidently hit a wrong button, they can go back and fix it. (That option will be in the directions when you are setting up the poll.) You can also allow pollers to mark more than just one answer, so if someone is a writer and an illustrator they can mark both, and if they are published or not-yet-published, they could then mark that category, too. And I agree with Joni. It is a fun idea!
#3 - July 31, 2009, 12:31 PM
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:34 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

ladylind

What is the best spot to post the poll?

LL :snoopy
#4 - August 02, 2009, 12:33 PM

Poster Plus
You'll want some multi-options or a fill in the blank question, as many of us write multi-genre stuff .. or see if you can set it up to have more than one answer ...

For example I do pb, poetry, mg, magazine, and educational work for hire ... and have been published in everything except mg so far .. prolly because I just started subbing book length stuff in that category.  :)
#5 - August 02, 2009, 01:06 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

ladylind

I've been hunting around for the poll option for a while now, but don't see it where indicated by the helpful Joni.  Is it possible that you have to have certain number of shiny stars before you can start a poll?  The only poll indication that I've seen is in the list of types of posts, like sticky or personal post on the left side below the posts.  It looks like my only option is to start a new topic.

Excellent suggestions BTW.

Any ideas?

LL :redbaron
#6 - August 02, 2009, 01:07 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'll go give it a whirl.

Hopefully this hits the highpoints and is what you meant, Lady:
http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=37733.0
#7 - August 02, 2009, 01:14 PM
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:24 PM by Joni »