SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Flower help, please...

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I need a strong-smelling perineal flower or bush that blooms in early June in zone 6 (pretty much cuts through the middle of the US). I thought about lilac or honeysuckle. I know they bloom sometime in May, but I didn't know if they were still in flower in June. Any ideas?
#1 - August 11, 2009, 04:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Honeysuckle can still be around in June. Also, roses can be in full bloom then, too. You'd have to check on the types to see when they're out. Maybe a rose lover can throw in some expert advice.
#2 - August 11, 2009, 05:30 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Lilacs are usually done by June in Zone 6--for a shrub, honeysuckle could work, or wisteria (grows as a vine on arbors or in tree form).  For a perennial flower, maybe peonies--tall and bushy and often strong-scented.
#3 - August 11, 2009, 05:48 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

jmm41799

What about lillies? I have a huge cluster of Asiatic Lillies and their scent is very strong. I am in PA and they bloomed late this year with the odd June and July weather. But that would put them on target for zone 6,
joelle
#4 - August 11, 2009, 06:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Lilacs are usually done by June in Zone 6--for a shrub, honeysuckle could work, or wisteria (grows as a vine on arbors or in tree form).  For a perennial flower, maybe peonies--tall and bushy and often strong-scented.

Peonies! I don't know why I didn't think of these. I have a bunch of them - practically a hedge, and they are certainly fragrant. Thanks Marissa, and thank you all for responding so quickly.  :thanks2
#5 - August 11, 2009, 06:55 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
So be careful about using rose bushes, though. Most of the roses you can get today are pretty much "scentless." The hybrids that have been created have eliminated most of the smell from them. If the bush was a very old one, with the older very thorny roses on them, you could probably have them smelling great.
#6 - August 12, 2009, 08:25 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
You're right, Verla. There's something incredibly disappointing about seeing a lovely rose, bending over to sniff, and getting...nothing. I plant roses in pots on my deck every year (and manage to kill them every winter, it seems), and the major criteria I have is that they have a strong aroma. The old garden roses and species roses all, I think, have good scent. Some of the newer ones do too, especially David Austin ones.

I sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't...
#7 - August 12, 2009, 09:05 AM

Poster Plus
My peonies in zone 5 bloom in late May- so would they be earlier in zone 6?
#8 - August 12, 2009, 06:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
How about lavender?  It has a strong scent and blooms most of the summer.  Mine is still going strong.
#9 - August 12, 2009, 06:53 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My peonies in zone 5 bloom in late May- so would they be earlier in zone 6?

Depends.  I've got a dozen different types in my yard (also Zone 5)--they start blooming in late May and don't usually finish up till July 1 or so--later this year because of the cool, wet weather we had.
#10 - August 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm in the northern part of zone 6. My peonies bloomed mid-May through the 1st week of June. It works for the story since this scene takes place 2 days after school is out. I do wish peonies bloomed longer. I love them!
#11 - August 12, 2009, 08:22 PM

m_stiefvater

We have wild dog roses all summer long -- they grow wild through all parts of Virginia. And they are certainly very scented. I'm going to put in another vote for honeysuckle and for maybe trumpet vine.

And I just realized that you didn't need just wildflowers -- I don't know why I thought that you did!! Gardenias?
#12 - August 13, 2009, 05:29 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
If you're doing peonies, be sure to include the "peony rain" that invariably arrives the very day the blooms peak and breaks the stems!
#13 - August 13, 2009, 06:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
If you're doing peonies, be sure to include the "peony rain" that invariably arrives the very day the blooms peak and breaks the stems!

LOL! I always end up with a hot pink peony carpet. Daughter loves it. I wish they'd stay on the stems.
#14 - August 13, 2009, 08:25 AM

Members: