SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Author/Illustrator raise your hand

Discussion started on

Headwax

Add one more unpublished author/illustrator .  (I work with morphed poser figures in the 3d program Carrara . )
#31 - September 23, 2009, 07:25 PM

JoS

I wouldn't mind being thrown in as an author illustrator...or at least, aspiring.  Currently working on a manuscript as we speak.

I really like your work Jamie. very nice.
#32 - September 24, 2009, 06:20 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
IOur Artemesia may check in too. She just had her baby a couple of days ago. (Maybe a future Author/Illustrator.)

Here I am!  :moose Checking in as an aspiring author/illustrator!
#33 - September 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm just getting back into checking the boards lately.  But I, too, am an author/illustrator.  I guess I'd better go fill out that poll, huh?
#34 - October 08, 2009, 01:39 PM

:writing3 :paint :yup
#35 - February 09, 2010, 03:57 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

PDM

I'm an author/illustrator too. Unsold as far as PBs, but my comic strip is published online and in a few newspapers.
#36 - February 10, 2010, 07:02 PM

Dani Duck

I'm not published yet, but I'm working hard on getting things ready for submission. Put me under the aspiring author/illustrator category.
#37 - February 14, 2010, 07:04 PM

Headwax

Hi Patrick, I like your attitude. Welcome to the forum :)
#38 - February 22, 2010, 05:39 PM

JustWrite

Count me in, though as a YA writer, it's not exactly a comfortable fit. I did submit a grant proposal through my job for a PB, so we'll see. Maybe I'll be a writer/illustrator for real.
#39 - February 22, 2010, 06:18 PM

Dani Duck

Wiseguy, I read something about Barry Goldblatt once. I can't remember what it was, but I remember after reading it that I really wanted him to be my literary agent. I should see if I still have that whateveritwas.
#40 - February 23, 2010, 12:27 AM

D.Diorio

Weighing in as an author/illustrator... It seems I am in good company here!

I've had a few of my lessons published after 20 odd years (and I mean, odd!) of teaching art and have published quite a few adult short stories (under a pseudonym). I have been a fine artist who has exhibited in galleries for over 30 years, but this is my first foray into illustration. Trying to break into this field as a second (possibly third) career. Think I lost count... :crazy

Doreen
#41 - February 24, 2010, 07:12 AM

Headwax

nice work on your site. I like your style!
#42 - February 24, 2010, 10:54 PM

D.Diorio

Thank you, Headwax! I like the painterly feel of your art. That's my inclination. I love paint :paint

nice work on your site. I like your style!
#43 - February 25, 2010, 03:11 PM

caaillustration

Illustrator, here!!

Though I do have aspirations of one day writing children's books, for now, just an illustrator. This is one of my most recent illustrations.

#44 - March 01, 2010, 02:43 PM

caaillustration

SYoon, thank you so much! This piece took me about a week and a half to complete. That's my usual - but it also depends on whether I'm really enjoying the piece or dealing with it as a burden... Luckily, I really enjoyed this one!

Thanks again!

Cheryl
#45 - March 03, 2010, 06:47 PM

alliekat

Watercolor is my first love....writing the second. It's the perfect set of circumstances to develop what I hope will be a new career for me. I have just joined in the past week, and I am looking forward to gleaning all the information I can, and contributing what I know, to this forum.
#46 - March 17, 2010, 09:41 AM
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:43 PM by alliekat »

Lulu

Aspiring author/illustrator: check!
Excited to be here: check!
Loves cookies: check!

:cookiemonster

Hello!
I am brand new here. My username is Lulu after my PB character who is inspired by my daughter.
#47 - March 18, 2010, 06:23 PM

Penn Bender

Count me as another writer/illustrator waiting to be snatched up.
#48 - March 22, 2010, 06:50 PM

virgohokusai

I write. I illustrate. I am not published, but I'd like to think of myself as a writer/illustrator.
#49 - June 14, 2010, 08:13 AM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
I am a published Illustrator, and an aspiring writer/illustrator with a few projects in progress for publisher submission this year (at last!) that I'm all excited about. :)

- Tanja
#50 - June 16, 2010, 03:15 PM

ladylind

Congratulations TanjaW, and welcome to the group!
#51 - June 17, 2010, 04:05 PM

i do both. or will do both. =)

i have a contract with greenwillowbooks to do
a pb with my chinese brush art.

but take it with a grain of salt as i have no previous
experience whatsoever in pb story writing or illustrating.
*gulps* i think we'll get to work after i am done with
sequel revisions for Fury of the Phoenix.

here's a very tiny page on it on my website.

http://cindypon.com/picture-book/
#52 - June 17, 2010, 04:34 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

WriteOn

I'm a published author/illustrator. Well, my first book comes out in January and it will be a series. I wrote and illustrated it. Going to what Stephanie said awhile back on the thread, I use the term "artist" when I do gallery or open studio events since "illustrator" at that time doesn't sound right. And for my book, author and artist doesn't seem to go, so it's really interchangable depending on the situation although it pretty much means the same.  

For my book I used just ink (they wanted a more graphic approach to the images). In my actual art (used for galleries and events) I use ink and charcoal. I'm hoping I can use that in future books.
#53 - June 22, 2010, 10:44 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I do both separately for now. But one day I'd like to join them.

Alma
#54 - July 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
GG Finalist, Golden Oak award, CLA BofY Honor Book, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award, TD09 Finalist, Yalsa Quickpick, Stellar shortlist, MYRCA shortlist

DebbieOhi

I used to consider myself only a writer, but recently started taking my illustration more seriously.

So yes, count me in as a fellow author/illustrator!

Debbie
#55 - August 07, 2010, 08:19 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
Debbie,
I love your stray comma comic. :smile Welcome to the Blue Boards.
#56 - August 07, 2010, 08:33 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

ladylind

I just counted us up to see where our numbers come in.  We've got 36 artist/author/illustrators out of 1733 members.  This makes us 2% of the population.  That's better than I thought.

Now I'm going to go count up the published vs. unpublished on our list.  See how they weigh in.
#57 - October 07, 2010, 12:33 PM

ladylind

So that was a little more difficult to ascertain.  But I'm guessing about 10 out of 36, still pretty good.  That comes in at more than .6% of the BB population.  However, the ratio of published to unpublished author/illustrators to writer/illustrators is 27%.  Not bad!  

Keep up the good work W/A/I's!!!!
#58 - October 07, 2010, 01:13 PM

ladylind

OK y'alls!  I've decided to get scientific. 

Jump over to this fine poll to get the real science rolling:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=46397.0
#59 - October 07, 2010, 01:37 PM

kdarby

I feel like I must have answered this in my previous incarnation.... returning to the board (and the world) after a long time away... Count me too.
#60 - November 16, 2010, 04:32 PM

Members: