SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Copyrighting illustrations?

Discussion started on

ladylind

What is the protocol for copyrighting illustrations, the topic was brought up in a different thread in regards to a website?  Is it similar to writing in that when it is created it is automatically copy written?

Thanks.

Ladylind.
#1 - August 27, 2009, 08:58 AM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:53 AM by ladylind »

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
The creator owns the copyright upon creation. The owner then can sell the use of the rights to other parties. You may be having trouble with your search because you are spelling the word differently than it may appear.

It is one word no "w". Copyright. ;)

To REGISTER your copyright there are forms and fees and requirements that vary depending on the type of illustration. Do a quick Google search for the US Copyright office. They have a very extensive FAQs section that should answer most of your questions.
#2 - August 27, 2009, 07:04 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

ladylind

Thanks, there is a lot of info out there.

So it sounds like you can add a copyright symbol to your drawings without having to do the paperwork, but that your work is more protected if registered.  $30/piece is a bit steep for the amount of work we illustrators have.  Are there good reasons to do this for some work?

Also, when signing a contract with a publisher, do they request exclusive rights to the work or are you still able to reproduce the work, for say prints or cards?

LL
#3 - August 28, 2009, 11:07 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Illustrations can be registered as a "body or work." $30 bucks for a year's worth of work isn't bad.

The publisher and you will have to decide what rights you sell them when you get a contract. Every contract is different.
#4 - August 28, 2009, 07:42 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Your work is copyrighted when you create it. Adding the © symbol and your name will help protect it, but there are still people online (or off) that might take your image and use it. If they won't stop or are trying to make $ off of your work, then having your © registered with the copyright office will help you if you need to go to court.

I second Wendy's suggestion to visit the copyright office and learn what the laws and rules are now.
#5 - August 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

ladylind

You're right $30/yr is not bad.  I was reading it as if it was for each individual piece.

As far as publishing goes, it would be in our best interests to keep some copyrights to the pieces, right?  Or could that result in lower royalties?

Thanks for the tips.
#6 - August 29, 2009, 08:58 AM

Members: