SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Poetry pay rate

Discussion started on

Javerine

Sorry I only post when I have a question! I'm reading everyone's posts all day and I am soo thrilled at all the success here. I was wondering what a poem pays in magazines. Guideposts/Wee-ones/Highlights. Just curious.
#1 - February 24, 2005, 05:57 PM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:05 AM by ShirleyH »

christrics

Hi! I'm not sure for all of them and it may also differ between subs, but it seems  to be
30.00 GP4K --10.00 Wee Ones, Highlights I don't know yet ... and Hopscotch, Boys Quest, etc., I think is 15. 00 and up. Don't quote me on these amounts though...

:hug1:- Christine -
#2 - February 24, 2005, 07:15 PM

Javerine

Thanks Christine! I have yet to get a poem published-still waiting on a GP4K submission- But I always thought when I did I would buy myself roses. Can't wait!
#3 - February 24, 2005, 07:33 PM

Alison

Mine at GP4K were $25, but I guess it's been a while.
#4 - February 24, 2005, 07:46 PM

ErinS

The Friend bought four of my poems last year.   They paid $50 for each(pretty short ones).  That is the best pay I've seen for poems so far.

Erin
#5 - February 24, 2005, 09:06 PM

Poster Plus
The little bug magazines pay $25.  Pockets- $12.
#6 - February 25, 2005, 06:40 AM

Spring 2019: Precious Baby (Beaming Books) and Beep! Beep! Special Delivery (Clear Fork)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Yep, Babybug and Ladybug (and I'm guessing Spider and the rest) pay $3.00 a line, with a $25 minimum. 

I'm curious about payment for a Highlights poem? Anyone?
#7 - March 01, 2005, 07:51 AM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery / Precious Baby  / Huggle Wuggle, Bedtime Snuggle

Kim

I recieved 35.00 for a poem in Highlights. It was my first with Highlights!!!! They are weighing another one, so I will let you know if they pay the same.
Kim ;)
#8 - March 02, 2005, 08:09 AM

christrics

Thanks, Kim! I was wondering this same thing, since Highlights is weighing 5 of my poems. I hope at least one will be accepted!

#9 - March 02, 2005, 09:45 AM

Kim

Your welcome Christine!! And good luck to you and your five poems. I bet some of them will get an acceptance. Let us know.
Oh, I also recieved 10.00 from Story Friend on a poem last year.
Hope this helps!!
Kim
#10 - March 02, 2005, 11:49 AM

shelly

I've sold several poems to Highlights. They paid $35 for each.
#11 - March 02, 2005, 12:32 PM

christrics

Thanks Shelly -- That's so great for you!

I wonder (thought) after a certain # accepted that the rate can go up a bit (??)

:hug1: - Christine -  :hug:
#12 - March 02, 2005, 12:57 PM

kellyr

And here I thought it paid $25.  Can't wait to hear on the one I have under consideration!
#13 - March 02, 2005, 01:05 PM

Alison

What are Highlights' guidelines for poetry, anyway? Their listings in the 2005 CWIM and the ICL 2005 Magazine Markets directories don't mention poetry at all. Do they have line limits? And they don't illustrate their poetry, do they? Seems like it's usually in a box on the bottom half of a page, when they use it?

Also, does anyone know any nature-oriented magazines that use poetry? I was surprised to find that Your Big Backyard, which my son takes, apparently doesn't take freelance submissions or queries at all.
#14 - March 02, 2005, 01:10 PM

christrics

Hi Alison! I think that Highlights doesn't have any poetry guidelines in the CWIM because they take/or need so little of it possibly (??) But what they do tend to like are the shorter ones, it seems.

Hmmm ... nature oriented mags. that use poetry? How about Confetti? Although they don't pay. Or check the future theme lists of mags. such as Boys' Quest , Hopscotch, etc., you may find one that matches this!

#15 - March 02, 2005, 02:18 PM

shelly

Alison, there is always a full-page illustrated poem on the inside cover of Highlights.

Sometimes they also do stick another one in the corner of another page further into the magazine. I can't remember if those are illustrated or not. It's been a while since I've seen one, but as I'm thinking about it, I think they do have some kind of small illustration for those, too. I could be wrong on that, though.

Christine, in terms of payment increasing after you've sold a lot to them--I don't know. I'm not even sure how many sales would be considered "a lot". Did you hear this from a reliable source? Did you hear a specific number?
#16 - March 02, 2005, 02:40 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Do they have line limits?

I just had a 12-line poem rejected by Highlights with several compliments but a comment that they prefer shorter poetry, if that helps, Alison.

AM
#17 - March 02, 2005, 03:30 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
  • SCBWI PAL

I just had a 12-line poem rejected by Highlights with several compliments but a comment that they prefer shorter poetry, if that helps, Alison.

AM

Well, good. Then mabye they'll take the 5 of mine that are there now. None was over 6 lines long. :)
Kristy
#18 - March 02, 2005, 03:39 PM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

Caroline

I sold them a poem that they referred to as a 'story poem', and they paid $175... but they've only bought the shorter ones since ( $25-50 each. )
#19 - March 02, 2005, 04:23 PM

shelly

That's interesting, Caroline. How long was the "story poem"? And also, when you say you got 25-50 for your shorter poems, was there any reason (that you could tell) for the fluctuation in pay? Did you ask for more money, or did you just take what they offered?
#20 - March 02, 2005, 04:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
I think this has been discussed on old yellar before (Highlights and their pay) and yes, I seem to recall people saying that as the number of acceptances goes up, so does the pay. 

Lisa

#21 - March 02, 2005, 04:42 PM
The Bridge From Me to You, Scholastic
plus five other YA novels
It's Raining Cupcakes trilogy
Charmed Life series
http://www.lisaschroederbooks.com

Caroline

Shelly, the 'story poem' was about 300 words long. I sold it a year ago, but I haven't been as lucky with any other longer poems since then. I did sell an acrostic poem ($25), a non-fiction piece ($150). This July I sold two more short poems at $50 each. I just took what they offered, so I guess they have a system for tracking payment increases.

The funny thing is, I've never seen any of the stuff in print yet. Thankfully, they pay on acceptance!
#22 - March 03, 2005, 06:48 AM

shelly

Thanks, Caroline. That's good to know. Maybe I'll get more $$ with my next sales...if and when...
#23 - March 03, 2005, 09:39 AM

Kim

Does anyone know the pay for short fiction with Highlights?? (under 500 words)
Kims  :momkid:
#24 - March 03, 2005, 11:14 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I was paid $175 for a short fiction piece from Highlights. At least, I think it was short. :)
#25 - March 03, 2005, 03:56 PM

Donna

reviving this thread, as I have a page of short rhyming NF riddles under consideration (also a few tongue twisters and a few jokes).

So, is the payscale still around $35 per short poem? Christine? Didn't you end up selling some? 

More for longer ones? Thanks to all for those who have answered so far.

Grace,
Donna

#26 - October 17, 2006, 05:08 PM

Spring 2019: Precious Baby (Beaming Books) and Beep! Beep! Special Delivery (Clear Fork)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
My Highlights sales were:
2 crafts @ $25.00 each
1 action rhyme @ 50.00

Today I sent in two poems. I'll keep everyone posted.  :)
#27 - October 17, 2006, 05:29 PM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery / Precious Baby  / Huggle Wuggle, Bedtime Snuggle

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
The folks at Highlights are sweet to increase the pay when they accept more pieces.
So far, I've rec'd the standard payment.  $35 for poems, $175 for stories/articles.
Javerine, if you write a lot of poems, consider the Greeting Card market.  I hear they pay well.
Vijaya
#28 - October 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Donna

Blue Mountain Arts pays well. They just bought one of my poems - THank you LORD! Payment is $300. If they buy another one (I hope they do!) the pay increases by 100 for each poem they purchase until you get to $700 per card.

Grace and peace,
Donna
#29 - October 17, 2006, 09:07 PM

A. J. Gaines

$300+ is a lot better than most 'zines!  What's the best website for up-to-date info on greeting card markets? 
#30 - October 18, 2006, 05:10 AM

Members: