SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Boys' Quest Article Photos

Discussion started on

Andypar2

Hey Everyone,

I am hoping for some help with submitting an article and photos to Boys' Quest. This is my first time submitting photos with an article, so I am not sure how to include them. Do I need to send slides? Prints? Just send the article and let them know there are photos to accompany the article if they are interested?

I looked around on the magazine's website, but couldn't find any information on how to submit photos.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
#1 - October 07, 2009, 07:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I've copied and pasted photos on a separate sheet of paper and numbered them #1, #2, #3 etc. Then clipped that sheet (or more if you have more) behind my manuscript.  In my cover letter, I mentioned that I'm enclosing copies of photos I have available to accompany the article. By numbering the photos, they can easily tell you which ones they'd like. I think they asked me to send actual photos after an article was accepted.
#2 - October 07, 2009, 07:57 PM
LIFE WITH FOOD ALLERGIES (Momentum, 2018)
SCIENTISTS USE TOOLS (Rourke, 2018)
COOKING WITH STEAM (Rourke, 2018)
www.annettegulati.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I sent actual photos and they used those. Make sure they are clear and easy to see. One of my photos wasn't and they asked me to send a different one via email.
#3 - October 07, 2009, 09:18 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Member.
Poster Plus
I've sometimes sent color digital prints of sample photographs with an article or query. I label the back of each. (Don't send slides, especially if they're your only copies!)

Make sure they are good, clear, sharp, well-printed shots. You want to put your best photographic foot forward.
#4 - October 08, 2009, 02:18 PM

Andypar2

Thanks so much for the help. Hopefully I'll get everything sent out Monday!
#5 - October 10, 2009, 05:01 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Good luck!  :goodluck :goodluck
#6 - October 10, 2009, 05:07 PM
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Shirley Anne

I have sold many to Boys' Quest and the sister magazines. Send good, clear and sharp, black and white photos.  If accepted, then send them on a disk.

Shirley Anne
#7 - November 01, 2009, 10:54 AM

Andypar2

Thanks for the help everyone.

Unfortunately, I got a big fat rejection yesterday : (   At least I get to share this one with my husband, he took the pictures for the article!

I think the subject may have been a little esoteric for Boys' Quest. The article was about efforts to slow erosion on a recently charred hillside. They are hoping to saves homes that survived the fires from sliding down the hills in the winter rains.

Maybe I'll see where else I can send it.
#8 - November 03, 2009, 08:08 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Sorry! I hope you have been luck in another market!  :grouphug2 :goodluck
#9 - November 03, 2009, 01:29 PM
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Members: