SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cricket Magazine Group contract question

Discussion started on

ziacat

I just received my first contract ever from Carus today and was wondering if someone could PLEASE help me.  They sent two identical contracts with the sig. of the permissions manager on the bottom.  Now do I sign and return both copies or is one mine to keep for my records??? Please excuse my igorance on this matter I'm new at this :) Thanks!!!
#1 - March 10, 2005, 07:00 PM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:03 AM by ShirleyH »

kellyr

One for you, one for them.  It should have said so in the letter (their fault, not yours, if it didn't and you're confused!)
#2 - March 10, 2005, 07:14 PM

ziacat

Thanks Kelly!  Unfortunately there was no letter enclosed, only the contracts.  Made me feel like even more of an idiot, like it was so terribly obvious there was no point in a letter.  Oh and one more question:  Should I send back a short note with the contract or just send as is?   :-\
#3 - March 10, 2005, 07:24 PM

kellyr

As is is good, unless there's something in particular you need to convey.  I can't believe they left out a letter.  Oh, and congrats on the contract!
#4 - March 10, 2005, 07:26 PM

ziacat

Thank god for this board and thanks again Kellyr!  :angel:  Think of all the time this board saves editors in the long run.  All these questions that would otherwise be directed toward them get answered beforehand. 
#5 - March 11, 2005, 10:09 AM

Mmmmm...braaaaains...
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I wanted to piggyback on this question.  I just got my contract in the mail (no letter either, BTW) and under my sig, it asks for my Social Security number.  I'm canadian, so I have a Social Insurance number, not a SS.  Do I write down my SIN?  I think here in Canada it's illegal for businesses to demand a SIN as ID because of Identy theft, unless you're the goverment. Any Canadians out there who can tell me what to do here?  This is my first contract, so I'm clueless.  :EmoticonHelp2: Thanks. 
#6 - September 20, 2006, 12:57 PM
Visit WRITERS HELPING WRITERS for descriptive thesaurus collections to strengthen your writing, free tools & more! http://writershelpingwriters.net/

Yes, be sure to confess your sin. (Actually, I don't know the answer to that.)

Congrats to both you guys! About the lack of a letter--They sent an acceptance letter earlier, though, right?
#7 - September 20, 2006, 01:21 PM

Mmmmm...braaaaains...
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
For me it was an phone call then email because they wanted to put it in the Feb issue and were working on that issue at acceptance, but yes, I did know the contract was coming.  And thanks!  This is a totally cool moment for me.  It also says Ophelia's Last Word on the contract, so I think my craft will be the inside back cover--whoo-hoo!
#8 - September 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
Visit WRITERS HELPING WRITERS for descriptive thesaurus collections to strengthen your writing, free tools & more! http://writershelpingwriters.net/

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Hi Momzilla and congrats,
Don't know about Canada but anyone who pays anyone in the US has to have the ss number so they can report earnings to the IRS for taxes. Is the SIN number used for taxes in Canada? I'm not sure if US company would be required to report your income or you would just have to declare it yourself.
#9 - September 20, 2006, 01:56 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Momzilla!  That's terrific news.  What a great place to have your craft.  I'm really pleased for you.
#10 - September 20, 2006, 01:58 PM

~wren

Congratulations, momzilla -- what terrific news!
Now, if you'd like to PM me, I'll forward the email for the Rights and Permissions Manager. She's been there a loooong time and probably knows everything! (Don't you agree, Lenzi?!)
#11 - September 20, 2006, 02:20 PM

Congrats to both momzilla (cool handle) and ziacat...that is so weasmeo i jsut cnta spl rite....GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Skarecrow :momkid: :jump
#12 - September 20, 2006, 04:27 PM
"Make no mistake about it...a true piece of writing is a dangerous thing. It can change your life."  Tobias Wolfe.

Poster Plus
Hi Ziacat,

My contracts from the Carus group not only included two copies of the contract but an invoice page and cover letter as well.  Don't know why you didn't receive that.  Maybe they don't need the invoices anymore.

Momzilla,

I'm Canadian too and I included my SIN number instead of and SSN or even TIN (Tax Identification Number) which I think technically we should have.  I never thought of the whole identity theft thing.   I checked into getting a TIN but the paperwork is horrendous and means a trip to TO for a notary public to sign them all or something.  I haven't gotten around to it.  I've never received a T4 from an American magazine but I declare my income under "Other Income" on my tax forms just so I can sleep at night.   :zzz

Nat
#13 - September 21, 2006, 06:12 AM
Saving Armpit, F&W
I Owe You One, Orca
Cryptic Canada, Owlkids
Hockey Girl, F&W
Glow-in-the-dark Creatures, F&W
Stay Strong F&W
www.nataliehyde.com

Mmmmm...braaaaains...
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for all the advice, people!  I've confessed my SIN (  :dr ) and it's in the mail. I just realized that now I get to make a new folder in my filing cabinet for...CONTRACTS! Whoo-hoo!
#14 - September 21, 2006, 08:07 AM

keys a-tappin

Another Canadian here.  [A big wave to all those North of the 49th!]

Sorry, guys, but the Cdn SIN is useless to the U.S. Gov., so don't bother giving it to them.  They're looking for their own identification numbers, such as the SS# or ITIN.  If you've sold all rights to an article to a U.S. magazine, the U.S. Gov says you need to supply an ITIN to the publisher before payment is made (unless you qualify for an SS#, then that's what you use instead), or else the publisher is required to deduct income tax in the neighbourhood of 31%.  This has been phased in slowly over the last 5 years or so.  At first they weren't enforcing it, just saying it would happen.  I don't know how sticky the U.S. gov't is being with publishers these days because I have an ITIN so it's not something that affects me anymore.

If you get the full amount of what you are owed from the publisher without supplying a U.S. ID number, then you're ok, but as time goes on, the likelihood of that continuing to happen will become less and less.  Canada & the U.S. have a tax treaty (whereby Cdns report U.S. income on their Cdn taxes and pay the Cdn gov't any taxes owing), so if a U.S. publisher does deduct taxes from your fee, you're entitled to a refund.  BUT...in order to get the refund, you have to file a U.S. tax return, and to do that you need a U.S. ID number...either the SS# or ITIN.  Cdn authors who plan to do business with U.S. book publishers or sell articles for all rights (anything involving copyright changing hands or royalties) should get an SS# or ITIN.  You'll need it eventually.
#15 - September 26, 2006, 09:07 AM

Members: