SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Uploading Avatars

Discussion started on

Verla,
I sent you an email with a photo.  Did you receive it?
#31 - November 13, 2009, 10:58 AM

Sharif

I got that same message when I tried to upload from my computer, even though I made the pic smaller and smaller.  So I went ahead and linked a pic from my website directory.
#32 - November 13, 2009, 01:20 PM

DDHearn

:yay  My genius hubby put my photo on my website and uploaded it from there.  I look a bit squished but it could be worse.

Diane
#33 - November 13, 2009, 02:45 PM

Sharif

My pic is supposed to be oblong, but I'm squished into a square as well.
#34 - November 13, 2009, 03:53 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Okay. Something I did warped your avatars. I'll see if I can undo whatever it was. Sheesh. Computers and the internet. You gotta love 'em, but it's definitely a love-hate relationship! :love  :mad4
#35 - November 14, 2009, 07:14 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Ah Ha! Telling the message board to resize avatars with Javascript instead of HTML worked. Now your book covers and faces are back to normal. Whew!
#36 - November 14, 2009, 07:19 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Sharif

Thanks, Verla.  I'm no longer squished.   :thanks
#37 - November 14, 2009, 09:21 AM

fullmoonfever

Okay, I figured it out too, although it's pretty small - at least it's there.  I did do it through Photobucket (Shutterfly doesn't work and you can't upload directly through your computer). After uploading, go to Edit and change the size to Tiny. Then go to Share and choose the Direct Link option - copy that code and paste it into the profile. That should work!

I took CynJay's advice (thanks, CynJay!)  and joined Photobucket. I uploaded the picture to Photobucket and then made my avatar tiny ( about 73 x100 pixels) and copied the Direct Link and placed it into my Verla Kay profile picture.
If you are having trouble with the picture being squished into a square, while you're in Photobucket, go to edit and try resize . It opens up an area called FotoFlexer and you can either type in the pixel numbers or tweak the size directly with your mouse. Hope that helps!
#38 - November 14, 2009, 09:38 AM

:thanks the photobucket suggestions worked. I'm back to normal.
#39 - November 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
https://twitter.com/PatEsden
http://patesden.com/
A HOLD ON ME (Dark Heart series #1) coming from Kensington Books, staring March 2016

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yay! And thunderingelephants, your photo you sent to me went into my spam folder and was buried in there with over 300 other spam messages. No wonder I didn't see it before. Give me a gentle "nag" on this thread later tomorrow or the next day, please, to make sure I don't forget to resize it for you. I'm buried in stuff again this week.
#40 - November 15, 2009, 12:36 AM
Verla Kay

Jencerv

Hey, Cyn!

I have tried all of the above even the code using Photobucket but to no avail. Any other suggestions?
#41 - November 16, 2009, 09:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm having the same problem as well. I want to use my book cover as my avatar--I've reduced it to 75 x 113 pixels, but I still keep getting that error message.

Help!
#42 - November 17, 2009, 07:52 AM
A WHOLE LOT OF LUCKY, Sept. 2012
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning
The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
Me & Jack

http://www.danettehaworth.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Nothing is working for me either.
#43 - November 17, 2009, 08:27 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It isn't just how many pixels the image is, it's also the resolution of the image. If the resolution is set to 72 and the size of the image is no bigger than 5 inches on the largest side, it SHOULD load without any difficulty.
#44 - November 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Verla Kay

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Hey Jen - try uploading a pretty small pic to Photobucket to start with. One of the cover images I used was still too big when it was reduced to tiny. I reduced the size of the image on my computer, uploaded that small image to Photobucket and then changed that to tiny. Hope that helps!
#45 - November 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
Transcendence (Walker) - June 2012
Sequel (Walker) - June 2013
Dirty Little Secrets (Walker) - Feb 2010
6:00 in SF - 2009
www.cjomololu.com

Poster Plus
Aha, that's what's wrong. I tried to do a quick avatar change this morning. Big mistake. Now I can't get anything up. Guess I'll stay a plain jane for awhile until I have more time.
#46 - December 04, 2009, 08:42 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

The picture I tried to upload was from a mobile phone.  How many pixels could that be?  Not one single photo I have tried has been successful.
#47 - December 04, 2009, 09:26 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Something is wrong with the upload directory, thunderingelephants (and everyone else who is having trouble getting an avatar picture to load on the message board). I have NO CLUE what has caused this problem or how it can be fixed. :bangcomputer I'm currently traveling down to Arizona and should arrive there by Tuesday at the latest. Once I get down there, I should have more free time than I do right now. I'll try to dig into this problem and see if I can find a solution for the "invisible problem!"  :paperbag  In the meantime, I'm very sorry for your frustration and... please :hang hang in there.

Verla Kay
#48 - December 04, 2009, 09:23 PM
Verla Kay

Verla,
Please enjoy yourself in Arizona and relax. I get to look at my crazy cat every day and I think that's enougwhat I sent you.  If this isn't typed correctly it's because he's crawled in front of the monitor.  Again!
Have a good weekend.
#49 - December 05, 2009, 02:36 AM

Jonathan_Maberry

I guess I'm the latest person to be hitting the wall of not being able to upload an avatar.  Help?
#50 - December 18, 2009, 09:45 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
In an earlier post Anne T had this advice (originally from Cynjay)

"I uploaded the picture to Photobucket and then made my avatar tiny ( about 73 x100 pixels) and copied the Direct Link and placed it into my Verla Kay profile picture.
If you are having trouble with the picture being squished into a square, while you're in Photobucket, go to edit and try resize . It opens up an area called FotoFlexer and you can either type in the pixel numbers or tweak the size directly with your mouse. Hope that helps!"
#51 - December 19, 2009, 05:12 AM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I've tried all of that and still get the same message:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.
#52 - December 19, 2009, 05:53 AM

Jonathan_Maberry

That's what I get.
#53 - December 19, 2009, 05:59 AM

SAH

Testing

Edited to add:

This is ShirleyH using a new profile. (That picture is my new puppy!)

I don't have any further advice. I was able to get it to work using photobucket. In this new profile I clicked "I have my own picture." Then I used a direct link on a photobucket picture. Wish I could be of more help.
#54 - December 19, 2009, 06:20 AM
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:26 AM by SAH »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I tried to upload an avatar that is 103 x 86 and less than 4K. Tried uploading from computer and tried via HTML address, to no avail. Oh well, I'll fiddle with it more later. Incognito for now  :paperbag
#55 - December 19, 2009, 10:16 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Well, my photo works (I used an outside html address) but the photo keeps stretching out and then bouncing back to size. Very strange. Darn technology!
#56 - December 23, 2009, 08:21 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

PaulaDi

Is there any new news regarding uploading avatars? I made my photo 80 x 65 in photobucket, and still can't upload it. HELP! I would like to not be incognito here (I'm new to the board and would like people to know who I am)!
#57 - December 31, 2009, 02:58 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Nothing new. I don't know when the problem will be solved. Sorry.

#58 - December 31, 2009, 04:27 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Poster Plus
My avatar disappeared sometime today and it's been up since last winter around this time. I decided to to just delete it and choose a new one for a new year.
#59 - December 31, 2009, 07:05 PM
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:14 PM by Cathie »
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com
https://twitter.com/catherineawinn

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I have been fighting with the avatars all day. They won. No one can change or add avatars. The directory is "unwritable."  When this happened, or how to fix it is beyond my knowledge or skills to fix. I can't find anyone that knows how to fix the problem. I'm tired, frustrated, and ready to tear my entire website down and throw it AND the computer into the trash! My mouse keeps locking up and every few seconds I have to unplug and replug it to get it to move again. Half the time my keys won't type in input boxes, the avatars on this message board won't upload no matter WHAT I do, most of my website pages are corrupted or missing from my desktop and I can't get the missing pages off the internet downloaded onto my desktop because the internet connection keeps dropping and disconnecting me (NOT my provider, they checked and it's on the server end, only the server isn't answering my pleas for help). It has NOT been a good day. Not at all. Here's hoping 2010 will be better than today. :cry2 Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. My computer has locked up/crashed/bombed on me (requiring a forced power button shutdown and restart) with a Kernal Panic no less than 10 times so far today. It's probably been much closer to 15 times.  :bangcomputer
#60 - December 31, 2009, 07:23 PM
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:38 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Members: