SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What do I call this?

Discussion started on

Librarian
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm currently working on a fairy-tale retelling, set in real 1876 Philaelphia. There is a bit of fantasy magic, but it's really subplot. No magical fairy godmother - just a friend who ends up helping my girl get to the ball using machinery, which includes the tiniest bit of steampunk, I suppose.

I just don't know what to catagorize it as. I've been calling it Historical Fantasy-FairyTale Retelling-Gaslight, but I'd be happy to have something shorter. Should I just stick to fairy tale retelling, or include the historical angle?
#1 - November 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
Christine Norris

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON
coming some day (soon, I hope!)

ecb

I'd call it historical fantasy.  That's what I call CURSE, anyway.  Queries, etc, made the retelling angle clear.  I really think that the historical aspect is one thing that made it stand out, so if it's strong in your book, I'd hit it hard in the query.
#2 - November 15, 2009, 02:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I'm with ecb--I'd call it historical fantasy.
#3 - November 15, 2009, 06:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
And there are some agents... who I won't name (AHEM)... who are wild about historical fantasy.

(I MEAN ME)
#4 - November 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Librarian
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, guys. I think that's helpful. I may bring up the magic angle a little bit more on the next go round - right now I'm focused on the two MC's and how they're working through their conflicts. My stepmother is very, very mean, and my "Fairy Godfather" (the male MC/friend) is going to get into all kinds of trouble. I'm really enjoying the period too, and it's nice to be working in a Victorian period and NOT be in England. Then again, I enjoy research, and since I live near Philadelphia, I'm finding out all kinds of cool stuff. 1876 was the year of the first American World's Fair, for example, and Philly used to have one of THE oldest Debutante Balls in the country. There are aspects of society that are different than from, say, NYC at the same time too. It was all about your NAME in Philly, not your money.

Literaticat, I'll keep you in mind when I finally finish it ;).
#5 - November 16, 2009, 02:42 AM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:45 AM by Christine Norris »
Christine Norris

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON
coming some day (soon, I hope!)

Members: