SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Can't upload photo

Discussion started on

Trying to add a photo in my profile but keep getting error message: The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Any suggestions?
#1 - November 18, 2009, 10:53 AM

...please...

I've read all the photo posts and I've shrunk it down to under 70 pixels and compressed it to 75kb but I keep getting the same error message. My IT hubby doesn't know what to do.

I'm feeling invisible without a pic!  :invisible
#2 - November 24, 2009, 11:20 AM

Bernell Spicer

I am brand new here, and I'm having the same trouble, with the same message. The picture I'm trying to upload is a tiny thumbnail, so I'm not sure what is wrong. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the help.  I, too, feel invisible!
#3 - November 27, 2009, 01:41 PM

Sharif

I had to link to a picture from my own website because I kept getting that message, even though I kept shrinking the photo.  You can also add a photo to a free host like Photobucket or TinyPic and then link it to your profile.
#4 - November 27, 2009, 02:34 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
This happened to me, with a photo that uploaded just fine last year at this time, so I suspect it's the result of last month's board meltdown and Verla will have to fix it. I just PMd the moderator of the board asking her to alert Verla, who I think is en route to a warm climate or perhaps not quite settled in yet.
#5 - December 02, 2009, 04:36 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I left Verla a message.

I don't have the skill to fix this.
#6 - December 02, 2009, 05:14 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
 :faint Add me to the list. I even tried using photo bucket.  :whistle
#7 - December 02, 2009, 05:48 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
This thread may be of some help. A couple of people were successful.  http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=40133.0

Just so you guys know, a fix could take weeks.
#8 - December 02, 2009, 05:53 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
 :newsflash  Taking backwater.  :giggle  Medeia is right on.  I did as she said-- resized, shared, direct linked and puff, my pic uploaded instantly.

Thanks Medeia! :hug

Now I'm waiting for  :snow, :snowplow :party5 :xmastree  :snoopy

Cheers,
Cali
#9 - December 02, 2009, 07:10 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yay! Glad you had success, Cali. I haven't a CLUE how to fix this problem, either, Shirley. I'll have to put in a "fix-it" ticket to my account with SimpleMachines.com, who set up the message board for us, or with CartikaHosting.com, where I buy the hosting service to have the message board put up on the web.  Hopefully one or the other of them will be able to help me solve this problem for everyone.

On a side note... we just arrived last night down in Yuma. Today (well, later today when I get up. It's currently not quite 4am....) I have to scrub the trailer inside out so we can put all our clothes, food and other things away. Then I'll have time to devote to computer stuff.
#10 - December 08, 2009, 02:48 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Bernell Spicer

That thread's method worked for me, too. My picture is a little smaller than most, but hey, I'm new here, so that's only fitting. Now, if I ever sell a book, I'll want a huge photo of the cover all over the place!
#11 - December 08, 2009, 08:24 AM

Members: