SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Bumples Online Magazine

Discussion started on

lisagailgreen

A friend of mine sent me this email and I sent in a poem immediately.  Someone got back to me within a couple of hours and said she loved it and would pass it on to the editors and I would hear within the next two weeks.  Pretty good response time!  Anyway here's the email:

NEW PAYING MARKET
Bumples
http://bumples.com/
Bumples is a NEW INTERACTIVE childrens' e-magazine of humorous and lively stories, illustrations and games.  Bumples brings fresh giggles, thoughtful hoots and creative tickles to the young reader.
Children between four and ten and their parents and teachers for our read-out-loud littlest subscribers will find stories and poems about sports, animals, magical creatures and societies within the Bumples' web pages.  Stories are uniquely supplemented with interactive puzzles, games, illustrations and activities which makes story telling all the more engaging.

Bumples e-magazine is published with the promise to tickle all the funny muscles between the readers' ears and below their nose, very, very generously.

We are currently looking for upbeat fiction about animals, sports, magical creatures, children and the activities they enjoy - in mystery, serial, adventure and fantasy formats.  The door is pretty wide open at Bumples in terms of topics and genre.  Poems and illustrations are also solicited.

E-mail manuscripts (pdf files preferred) with a brief introductory letter to editor@bumples.com  Limited stories to 800 words for ages 4-10 and to 2,000 words for ages 9-10.  Poems should be no longer than 30 lines.  Puzzles and games will also be reviewed. Sample illustrations in low res jpeg format may also be submitted.  Bumples is published online as an e-magazine and does not appear in print.

#1 - November 23, 2009, 08:52 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks for posting!  I'll have to look through what I have that might fit them...

Tracy
#2 - December 01, 2009, 07:28 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Lisa, thanks again for posting about Bumples.  I submitted a short story, heard back immediately that I'd know in two weeks, and today I received an e-mail that they'd like to use it in a January issue!   :snoopy

Tracy
#3 - December 21, 2009, 08:21 AM

lisagailgreen

Congrats!  I'll see you in there!  :) 
#4 - December 21, 2009, 09:59 AM

aniprof

They accepted one of my short stories for a future issue.
#5 - December 24, 2009, 07:39 PM

Poster Plus
It was so funny, Outlook Express wouldn't let me submit. It kept coming back undeliverable. That had never happened before. I got online and used their contact box to let them know but they said they had no filters and try again. I couldn't even "reply" to Jennifer when she emailed me.  :grrr   
I waited a few days, very frustrated, then I got an idea.  I remembered I had RoadRunner mail. I never use it and it is different from Outlook. This time it did not come back! My story may get rejected but at least it got there!

I decided to post this in case someone else is having trouble with Outlook doing that. The message said it didn't recognize the email address.
#6 - December 25, 2009, 09:06 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

lisagailgreen

Weird!  I guess it pays to have more than one email.  I use google mail, but I also have a hotmail account just in case.  Well, good luck!  Hope you get an acceptance!  
#7 - December 25, 2009, 08:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
To bad they do not have illustration submissions
#8 - December 30, 2009, 05:43 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hey Stephen,

I received this email yesterday from Bumples and I remembered your post here.

Dear Bumple friends,
We at Bumples want to wish everybody a Happy New Years and also thank everybody that has e-mailed us. We have only been on line for one month but the positive response has been overwhelming.
When we decided to write and publish a new interactive children’s magazine, we were not sure how it would go over. The response has shown us that the children and parents like what they see. Going forward the magazine is going to be much better than the sample. We couldn’t do that without all the wonderful stories that we have received. We will be using new illustrators and a lot more animation. Also sounds will be introduced in future issues.
Our first real issue with new writers and illustrators will be out January 15th... Please check it out and tell your friends. Also we are open to any ideas or suggestions.
Happy New Year and we hope that everyone has a wonderful new year.

Jennifer Sheehan
Publisher
Bumples.com

Hapy submitting!!
#9 - January 04, 2010, 05:05 AM

Just received word Bumples is acquiring one of my stories.  So glad for this new market!  See y'all there!

Michelle
#10 - January 19, 2010, 10:15 AM

I did too! Their first issue looks great. A wonderful new market!
#11 - January 19, 2010, 11:14 AM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
I got the word also.  :yay They said they would let me know which issue in two weeks. They were very encouraging. Bumples seems like it's really building up fast and going places.  :smile
Cali
#12 - January 19, 2010, 04:41 PM

I'm going to buy a subscription to help fuel their fire. My kids like it.

Can't complain about the $$ either! Congrats, everybody.

Michelle
#13 - January 19, 2010, 05:22 PM

lisagailgreen

I bought a subscription too (I figured they already bought two of my things and I have two kids in the right age range) and Jen wrote an email thanking me.  So it doesn't go unnoticed, though I know it isn't necessary.  It's a clever concept, I hope they're successful.  And yes the $$ doesn't hurt either!
#14 - January 19, 2010, 06:19 PM

Bumples is working to find a spot for one of my stories too.  And I just won their first blog contest for a Bumples book!  There will be another contest in February. 

#15 - January 20, 2010, 05:39 AM
Ghosts In the Night - Mackin 2019
Minnie's Green Book - HMH 2015
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

GailHennessey

I also just heard from Jennifer that one of my stories, The Wooden Cookie Box, was going to be used in an upcoming issue of Bumples! :-)
Gail Hennessey
http://www.gailhennessey.com
#16 - January 21, 2010, 01:18 PM

I'm going to buy a subscription too... they're buying two of my stories and I want to support them. Plus my 9-year-old will love their site!
#17 - January 21, 2010, 01:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Does anyone know if the quality of editing/proofreading has improved? The first issue I saw was littered with mistakes. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that they had plans to improve this aspect of the magazine. Have any of you subscribers noticed a change?

Thanks!
#18 - January 24, 2010, 10:58 AM

They're working on it.  I had two pieces in the Jan. issue, and I had e-mailed the editor with my concerns about some of the errors.  She just e-mailed me with an updated copy of my revised piece, said they were checking the magazine line by line, and that she would work hard to make sure these types of errors never happened again.

buglady
#19 - January 24, 2010, 02:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois

Does anyone know if this is a paying market and if so do you get a contract? 
My story was accepted for a future issue, but I haven't heard anything since.  Thank you!!
#20 - February 06, 2010, 01:41 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

My story was accepted for a future issue, but I haven't heard anything since.  Thank you!!

I'd actually like to know this as well. I had a piece accepted for a later issue and was told that my payment would come the month after published. No problem except that there was no mention of a contract.
#21 - February 06, 2010, 02:44 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

This is a paying market - pay on publication, I believe - and there is no contract.  I had two pieces published in their first issue (out in the middle of January), and haven't been paid yet.  I'm being patient. 

buglady
#22 - February 06, 2010, 03:16 PM

They contacted me about a piece coming out in April and said I'd be paid in May and gave the amount.
#23 - February 06, 2010, 04:08 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Kelly, I'm in the same boat.  I was told that it had been accepted, but I haven't heard which issue.  I figured I'd give it the rest of this week and then SQ.

Tracy
#24 - February 08, 2010, 05:40 PM

bj

For those of you who have work accepted - and I have too but have not been told what issue -  what rights do they acquire? Thanks,

bj
#25 - February 25, 2010, 01:54 PM

bj,

That is a really good question. The story I sold was previously published, and I told them that, but didn't inquire further. Shame on me for not being more thorough!

Michelle
#26 - February 25, 2010, 05:41 PM

Curious, anyone receive a contract yet? For those that have already been published in their earlier issues, has payment been received?

As for rights, not sure about that either. Hmmmmm.
#27 - February 25, 2010, 06:17 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Tracy Vonder Brink

I SQ'd on the 17th (after hearing in December that they'd accepted my story), but no response yet.   :eh2

Tracy
#28 - February 25, 2010, 07:19 PM

lisagailgreen

Just got my check for my poem in the January issue.  No contract.  I think they are little overwhelmed but honest.  If you SQ I'm sure she will get back to you.  When I did on some other work I sent, it took her a little bit, but she did get back with the info. 
#29 - February 26, 2010, 02:57 PM

Tracy Vonder Brink

Thanks, Lisa!  Congrats on your  :dollar

Tracy
#30 - February 26, 2010, 04:24 PM

Members: