SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Bumples Online Magazine

Discussion started on

Ditto what Lisa said.  No contract, but received payment.  (They do pay well, too.)  I didn't ask about rights either, as I rarely try to sell re-prints.

buglady
#31 - February 26, 2010, 05:57 PM

lisagailgreen

Thanks Tracy!  And Congrats to you too Buglady!  I agree - they pay well and I didn't ask about rights either, but I'm sure they would provide an answer if you ask...
#32 - February 26, 2010, 07:11 PM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
They told me my story would be pubbed April 15th and I would receive a check in May. I hope this helps.
#33 - March 04, 2010, 12:25 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
  • SCBWI PAL
Always great to learn of a new market.  Thanks!

God Bless,
Susan
#34 - March 04, 2010, 12:36 PM
susanameyers.com
Susan York Meyers, Children's and YA Author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
FYI:  I subbed some poems a couple weeks ago and received an email from the editor saying they're full up through the end of the year (but she'd keep my poems on file).  I'm guessing she means full up of poems.

Good luck!
#35 - March 05, 2010, 04:34 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Thanks for posting the info -- I love the name of the magazine 
#36 - March 05, 2010, 04:58 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Has anyone else tried to email Bumples recently. I tried to inquire on a short story submitted in January but the emails bounced back. I tried both the editor@bumples.com and the contact@bumples.com email addresses.

Guy
#37 - May 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Azguy,

Try info@bumples.com. I do think they are filled up until the end of the year but it never hurts to try.

Good luck
#38 - May 27, 2010, 02:22 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

I'm concerned because the May issue isn't up and am wondering what's going on with them (and partly out of self interest as they were supposed to use one of my stories in October.) If anyone has any insight, please let us know.
#39 - May 27, 2010, 04:19 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
The person who programs the magazine for her quit, so she's having to find a new person.  I think it must be a very frustrating time for her, and I'm sure patience and understanding will be appreciated.
#40 - May 27, 2010, 04:38 PM

I have something that was due in the May 15th and June 1st issue. I heard the same thing Ev did and I'm just waiting patiently. It's a shame because she seems like such a nice person. I really do hope things come together for her.
#41 - May 27, 2010, 05:52 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
She does seem like a nice person. I also have something scheduled to be published (in September). I was just concerned because I hadn't heard anything on the story I submitted over 4 months ago, and then had my emails bounce when I tried inquiring on the story's status. I'll try the info@bumples.com for the inquiry, and will be patient. Thanks, Writeaway. And, thanks, Ev, for the information you provided, as well.

Guy
#42 - May 27, 2010, 06:20 PM
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Just a quick note from the editor in case you were wondering about the latest issue. The editor is very nice and working hard so I didn't mind at all.

I am afraid that we have to move your story to May 15th and June 1st.  We were very late in getting out the April 1st issue, and I am using the April 15th issue for May 1st.  Then I am moving the May stories to other issues.
I am very sorry to do this and thank you for your patience.
#43 - May 30, 2010, 05:05 AM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Does anyone know what issue they're up to? About 2 weeks ago I thought I saw the June issue online but today I see it says the latest issue is April?

Thanks.
#44 - June 27, 2010, 08:29 AM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Poster Plus
I believe you are correct, I think I remember seeing it up, maybe they had to pull it because of a problem or mistake. Do you think they are ending publication? I have a story slated for a fall issue and I hope all is well.
#45 - June 27, 2010, 09:06 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

I'm both a contributor AND and subscriber, and I haven't heard anything recently about the issues being late.  Worries me....

buglady
#46 - June 27, 2010, 11:49 AM

I spoke to the editor last month and she said they were running behind. After that, nothing. Hmmmmmm......
#47 - June 27, 2010, 04:01 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

I'm also both a contributor and a subscriber, and I remain quite concerned. I saw that a June issue was up a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't actually get into it, and then it disappeared. I hope the editor's able to work out the issues... I would think paying subscribers who aren't writers and who don't have a stake in the magazine continuing might be upset.
#48 - July 01, 2010, 09:43 AM

I received an email from Jennifer today. She mentioned how her programmer had quit in May and that she's had "2 months of intense learning and trial and error." She's hoping to have a new programmer up and working by Sept. and be back to 2 issues a month on time. She goes on to say she's totally committed to making Bumples a successful magazine and asks for patience as she continues to work out the bugs. She's looking forward to more games tied to stories, more interaction, and prizes for readers. She apologizes for the delay in getting stories published and will do her best to get them in future isues. She ends by saying she's now working on catching up on emails. Hope this helps and that everyone hears good news soon!
#49 - July 14, 2010, 12:49 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Writermutt, thanks for posting this. I checked my inbox and see I also received this email. I sent Jennifer a thank you for sending it (I notice she had a number of writers on the email list, so I'm sure others here also received it.). And I echo your statement that everyone hears good news soon.

Guy

writermutt wrote:
I received an email from Jennifer today. She mentioned how her programmer had quit in May and that she's had "2 months of intense learning and trial and error." She's hoping to have a new programmer up and working by Sept. and be back to 2 issues a month on time. She goes on to say she's totally committed to making Bumples a successful magazine and asks for patience as she continues to work out the bugs. She's looking forward to more games tied to stories, more interaction, and prizes for readers. She apologizes for the delay in getting stories published and will do her best to get them in future isues. She ends by saying she's now working on catching up on emails. Hope this helps and that everyone hears good news soon!
#50 - July 14, 2010, 04:45 PM
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:20 PM by AzGuy »

Does anyone know if the info@bumples.com email is working? I've tried to reach her twice with this and have had no response.

Thanks!
#51 - August 02, 2010, 08:05 PM

I believe it is. I just sent a response e-mail to her but don't really expect anyting back. However, a few weeks ago I sent an e-mail and got no response. I sent another one a few weeks later with 2nd request in the subject line and she got back to me right away, stating she's still trying to catch up with e-mails and such. In my honest opinion it  kinda sounds like it's hectic over there. I hope she can come out on top because she seems to be a really nice person.
#52 - August 03, 2010, 05:54 AM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Has anyone talked to her lately? I've sent three emails since the first of June and heard nothing back. They were regarding payment for a story that came out mid April and I was told would be sent May 1st. I told her I was fine with the fact the payment might be late--I understand things had been challenging for her, I just wondered if she had any idea when she would be able to send it.

I've seen others hear from her regarding upcoming stories during this time, so I'm wondering what's up. Anybody have insight? I hope things get back on track for her, it's a neat publication and she seems like a genuinely nice person.
#53 - August 25, 2010, 11:29 PM

Hi Michelle,

I was wondering the same thing. Originally my story was to appear in the May 15th and June 1st issue. (It's in two parts) but I haven't heard anything since. I e-mailed the editor 2 weeks ago and she said she had to push things back due to editorial issues. Nothing since then. I'm wondering if other people who have had their stories published with this magazine have been paid. I'm thinking I may need to pull my story but wanted to give her little more time to get back on track--she's just been so nice whenever I contact her. I hope things straighten out.
#54 - August 26, 2010, 06:45 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

A similar discussion is happening on the ICL boards. Someone mentioned that Jennifer said she was attempting to take out a loan to pay authors. I'm sure she's doing what she can. (Just wish she'd send an email to that effect.)
#55 - August 27, 2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the update. I just withdrew my submission. No sense in putting me on the list of authors to be paid...
#56 - August 28, 2010, 01:36 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Have any of you checked the guidelines lately? I just did, thinking Jennifer may possibly make a public announcement regarding the status of Bumples at one time rather than responding to each individual query. The following was posted on the Writer's Guidelines Rights and Payments section: Rights vary. Right now we can not pay for your poems or stories.

#57 - November 04, 2010, 09:15 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region austin
Hmmm. I have a piece she accepted for September. I don't think there was a September issue. Anyone?
I'm not holding my breath on this one, but I am a little disappointed. And sad for Jennifer. It's a rough business.
Ah, well.  :cry2
#58 - November 05, 2010, 07:32 AM
THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY, 2012
NIGHTINGALE'S NEST, Feb. 20, 2014
WISH GIRL, Feb. 24, 2015
Razorbill/Penguin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Nicky, There was a September issue, it was the Haunted House issue. But I don't think she's keeping to any kind of a schedule. I had a story she accepted for the June issue that still hasn't been used. And honestly, if she's not going to pay writers anymore then I'm going to withdraw it. Bummer.
#59 - November 05, 2010, 08:57 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
This is disappointing news. I also had a piece accepted for September - a puzzle poem. Don't know if it was published as I don't get the magazine. And now if she is no longer paying. . . .  I guess I will have to try contacting her again. I didn't want to give it away for no payment.

Guy
#60 - November 05, 2010, 03:39 PM

Members: