SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Bumples Online Magazine

Discussion started on

I'm curious what she says. I have a piece that's supposed to be in this month. But if she's not honoring earlier commitments made to writers about payment, I'll need to withdraw too.

I'm a subscriber too--was trying to support this new market. AZ Guy, if you want to let me know the name of your puzzle poem, I can check to see if it's been published. I'm not sure there was a September issue though.
#61 - November 05, 2010, 04:20 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Cynthia, thank you so much for offering to check the September issue.  According to Bumples' website there was a September Haunted House issue and an October Halloween issue. Anyway, my puzzle poem was titled "Plant Power". It has nothing to do with Halloween or haunted houses, though, so I kind of doubt it was in either issue.

Hopefully, the pieces accepted long ago will receive payment when/if they are published. Changing the terms and publishing for no payment without an author's approval would not be at all professional.

Best of luck to everyone.

Guy

I'm curious what she says. I have a piece that's supposed to be in this month. But if she's not honoring earlier commitments made to writers about payment, I'll need to withdraw too.

I'm a subscriber too--was trying to support this new market. AZ Guy, if you want to let me know the name of your puzzle poem, I can check to see if it's been published. I'm not sure there was a September issue though.
#62 - November 05, 2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

It's definitely not in the September or October issues. The September issue had a lot of unrelated stories, but nothing like Plant Power.

And yes, best of luck to everyone.
#63 - November 05, 2010, 05:24 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Cynthia, thanks for checking!

Guy
#64 - November 05, 2010, 07:54 PM
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Cynthia,

Have you come across a math puzzle called "Pirate's Plus" ?

I submitted this puzzle a while back and they said they were interested in publishing it along with a pirate story she thought she had in an upcomingissue. She said if they did have one, they wanted the puzzle to go along with it but I never heard back from them. I emailed several times without a response.

Thanks,
Sharon
#65 - November 05, 2010, 10:26 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Hi Cynthia,

I've also submitted a story and the editor had expressed interest. I queried and received no response. Have you seen a story called Amphibian Morning?
Thanks for looking in advance.
#66 - November 06, 2010, 06:30 AM
Ten Busy Brownies, Keith Publications Nov, 2013
Mama Cried Amazon.com
A'dab's Gift Amazon.com
The Hanging of Cousin Charlotte Amazon.com

Hi Talia and Sharon,
I checked but couldn't find that your pieces were used. If the editor hadn't told you which issue it was slated for, I don't think you have to worry about it being published.
I'm happy to check for anyone else who's wondering too.
Cindy
#67 - November 06, 2010, 07:38 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thank you, Cindy.

I really appreciate you looking.
Sharon
#68 - November 06, 2010, 08:26 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Hi Cindy,

Thanks again for looking.....
#69 - November 06, 2010, 04:34 PM
Ten Busy Brownies, Keith Publications Nov, 2013
Mama Cried Amazon.com
A'dab's Gift Amazon.com
The Hanging of Cousin Charlotte Amazon.com

I'm a subscriber, too.  Though I haven't read the issues in a while.

One thing that you may not know is that in addition to putting out a monthly theme issue, Jennifer also tries to do a holiday or seasonal issue.  So, this is difficult to keep track of because she's running behind in her theme issues, but also putting out seasonal issues when she can.  My story was supposed to be in the debut issue of Bumples, but actually appeared in the third issue they printed, and I was confused as well. 

Yet another source of confusion is that the magazine isn't consistently released at the same time each month.  Sometimes it's the first week, sometimes not.

I have a poem that has been accepted for their December issue, and I'm doubting that it will appear on time given how far behind the magazine is.

That being said, I do hope that Jennifer is sticking to her commitments.  She's a nice gal to "talk" to via e-mail, but Bumples seems to be hitting many "bumps" along the road so far.

Liana
#70 - November 06, 2010, 05:19 PM

Did any of you receive an email from Jennifer apologizing for her lack of communication, promising to pay published writers and advising people on hold to place their mss in paying markets? I didn't get this email, but I guess some writers did. Anyone here care to elaborate?
#71 - November 07, 2010, 06:38 AM

Poster Plus
Hi Talia and Sharon,
I checked but couldn't find that your pieces were used. If the editor hadn't told you which issue it was slated for, I don't think you have to worry about it being published.
I'm happy to check for anyone else who's wondering too.
Cindy

Have you seen a story entitled "Where's Flash?" it was slated for September. Thanks, in advance, Cindy.

Did any of you receive an email from Jennifer apologizing for her lack of communication, promising to pay published writers and advising people on hold to place their mss in paying markets? I didn't get this email, but I guess some writers did. Anyone here care to elaborate?

I didn't receive this email, wish I would hear something.
#72 - November 07, 2010, 07:08 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

I did receive this email. Basically, Jennifer says she's not a quitter, and she believes she can turn Bumples around and make it successful. She mentions the programmer quitting and how she had to take over, at which time she quit her part time job to put all efforts into the mag. Sales slowed as she wasn't marketing the mag. "This meant that I could not pay the writers on time.  I can’t tell you how upsetting that has been for me.  I am afraid that I have hidden from the writers as I did not have an answer."

She spent months trying to get loans, with no luck. "If I owe you money, and you want to subscribe, I will credit what I owe you $12.00.  Just let me know.  All writers whom I owe, I will be paying you interest when I pay you.  Right now I can’t promise when that will be." She mentions posting on her website that she can't pay for stories and that that will take effect in January. "As soon as I catch up on payments, I will resume paying for the stories. I know how hard it is to make money on your stories, and I don't want to continue to promise to pay when I can't. If any writer whom I promised to publish doesn’t want to have their story used, please let me know. Going forward I will ask you before I publish it.  I hope and think that you should keep on trying other publishers until I can turn the magazine around."

She ends by apologizing for not keeping up with payments and thanks everyone for being patient.

Hope this helps!

#73 - November 07, 2010, 07:41 AM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Thanks, writermutt. That clears things up. She is obviously overwhelmed.
#74 - November 07, 2010, 09:13 AM

Yes, thanks very much, Writer Mutt.
Cathie, I didn't see your piece in the September issue.
#75 - November 07, 2010, 01:07 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Writermutt, thanks for posting this. I just went to my email inbox and see I also received this email today.

Guy
#76 - November 07, 2010, 02:35 PM

Poster Plus
Yes, thanks very much, Writer Mutt.
Cathie, I didn't see your piece in the September issue.

Thank you, Cindy, for checking. Because I wasn't sure if she had used it.

I sent an email to Jennifer and she sent me a note and a copy of the email being sent to everyone else.
#77 - November 07, 2010, 07:47 PM
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:49 PM by Cathie »
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Has anyone heard a status update on BUMPLES lately? A while back I was told I'd have a story in the June issue, but as far as I can tell from the website, the latest issue is from spring.

As an update to the thread, BUMPLES is currently a non-paying market. However I did submit a story this spring and there was excellent response time. It's a cute website and good concept. I'll update here if I get any more news.
#78 - April 25, 2011, 06:46 PM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:57 AM by ChristineCA »

Ah--just modified my last entry with a new question, but didn't realize that modifying doesn't update the topic so I'm posting again. Thanks for any input!
#79 - July 19, 2011, 01:25 PM

Members: