SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Show Unread Posts button not working

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
When I come here, my first stop is the Show Unread Posts button, but for the last three days, it's showing no unread posts (which is not true).  The show unread responses to my posts works, but unless I want to go through every sub-board, I won't find any new threads. Anyone have a solution to this?  I checked and my cookies are on.  I'm confused.

One thing that has changed is that I switched back to Firefox after using IE for awhile, but I didn't have a problem with Firefox before, and I have checked the cookies setting.  Do I need to turn them off? Oy. :stars

Thanks.
#1 - January 01, 2010, 10:56 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Did you try clearing your cache? I know that's a lame suggestion, but all I can think of; because I think cookies SHOULD be on for the button to work, and its working for me... probably somebody smarter will post, though!
#2 - January 01, 2010, 12:01 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I think clearing the cache is a great idea to try.

Can you switch back to IE and test it with the button? It might be something has changed with the board and Firefox.

I use google chrome, and there are several administrative duties I cannot do unless I switch to IE.

#3 - January 01, 2010, 01:17 PM
PAINLESS (Albert Whitman 2015)
BLOOD BROTHERS (Delacorte 2007)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
It is working for me, also. Has to be in your Firefox settings somewhere or on your computer end. I hope you find out what's causing it. I would go bonkers if that button didn't work for me!  :grrr :hairpull  :gaah
#4 - January 01, 2010, 04:12 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
OMG - this is KILLING me!  I think I cleared my cache yesterday, and the button sort of worked after that (I left here and did other online stuff and the button showed me new unread responses when I came back).  BUT.  This morning, no.  Oy.  I guess I will try emailing Firefox... This sucks. :(
#5 - January 02, 2010, 08:20 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I'm so sorry, Larissa. Wish I could help somehow. :hug
#6 - January 02, 2010, 08:26 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

sary

Oh! I'm glad you posted this. I'm having the same problem and also using Firefox. Hadn't occurred to me to switch to IE and see if that works. I'm going to try that now.
#7 - January 02, 2010, 08:34 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hey, sary - It totally sucks, doesn't it?!?  Unfortunately, I have found that once I login with Firefox, the button doesn't work in IE, either.  I need to remember to try starting with IE next time...
#8 - January 02, 2010, 08:37 AM

Poster Plus
Weird, I'm using Firefox and I'm not having this problem.  Are you running the latest version of Firefox? I can't imagine that this would really matter, but maybe?
#9 - January 02, 2010, 11:42 AM
DEFY THE DARK - HarperTeen June 2013
http://valeriekwrites.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Larissa, I've been having trouble with that function for ages, but never thought about the fact that Firefox might be part of the problem.  I went just now to IE and it did show some posts when I used that browser.  I don't know how to check cookies or clear caches, so can't help by trying those.

I usually just click on "All unread posts" and go from there.

Corrected to add:  sometimes the "show unread posts since last visit" does work for me (maybe 5% of the time).  I just checked it and right now is one of the times it is working.  I have no idea why.
#10 - January 02, 2010, 05:47 PM
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:50 PM by Ev »

Hmmm. Weird. I've never had a problem with it (until tomorrow, I'm sure) and I only use Firefox for this board. Some other things don't seem to work best with Firefox, so I reluctantly switch to IE just for them - but never here.
#11 - January 02, 2010, 06:49 PM

Members: