SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How do you pronounce...?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hello, children! 

Welcome to the thread for misfit pronouncers.  Those, like me, who are pronunciation-challenged about the world of publishing.  Got a question about how to pronounce a publishing-related item or name?  Got an answer?  Chime in!

I'll begin. 
Houghton-Mifflin (pronounced Ho-ton Miff-lin)

Can you help with...
Knopf?
Giroux?
#1 - January 02, 2010, 11:11 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh! I know one of these!

I tweeted about my favourite line in JULIE & JULIA: "Is it Knopf or K-nopf. Oh, who cares..." and Knopf (the pub!) tweeted me back saying it was hard "K" or "K-nopf".

:smile
#2 - January 02, 2010, 11:17 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I remember wondering the same things and called the companies and asked receptionists.

I believe you just pronounce all the consonants in Knopf. kuh-NAWP-f.  Giroux is basically juh-ROO or jer-ROO.

My quick tries at phonetic pronunciations are probably colored by regionalism, so take it with a grain of salt.  But I'm close enough.
#3 - January 02, 2010, 11:20 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Really? I've always prounced it Haw-tin Miff-lin. As for Knopf, I've always silenced the K to pronounce the word Nof. At least I got Giroux right.  :snoopy  (Speaking of which, I think I have something out to them.)

#4 - January 02, 2010, 11:25 AM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
K-nawp-f?  With three syllables?

And juh-ROO?  I thought it might a hard g sound at the beginning.

Glad I asked!

Oh, Tim Trav-a-(g)lini (silent g, I think)
#5 - January 02, 2010, 11:26 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Writeaway,
Maybe someone else can weigh in. :)
#6 - January 02, 2010, 11:28 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

My husband went to school with a Knopf and it is definitely pronounced K-nopf.

(It means "button" in German.)
#7 - January 02, 2010, 11:35 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
Okay, how about agents? Is Michael Bourret pronounced the way I think it should be? Boor-ay (so it's kinda french sounding) or does it have a more American flair and sound like a hair accessory? I've even met him before and missed how he introduced himself - but at that conference, I heard his name pronounced both ways. Drove me crazy!
#8 - January 02, 2010, 11:36 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Okay, someone else weighing in :)

HO-ton -- Long O sound; incidentally the city of Houghton, MI, pronounces it the same

K-nopf -- K is pronounced, not silent.

Here's one I learned when I was a newer writer: ATH-e-NEE-um. I'd been pronouncing it a-THEE-NEE-um
#9 - January 02, 2010, 11:38 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
AE,

With a silent p, or silent f?

Linda,

I don't know (so that doesn't really help), but I pronounce it the Frenchy way, like you.  
#10 - January 02, 2010, 11:39 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
K-nop-f   

All the consonants sound.
#11 - January 02, 2010, 11:40 AM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Okay, just to be difficult... :)  I've always pronounced it ATH-e-NAY-um, but that may be a regionalism.

The "G" in Giroux is a softer "zhe-roo" rather than a harder "J" as in "jam".
#12 - January 02, 2010, 11:52 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I say ath-uh-NAY-um, also, Marissa.
#13 - January 02, 2010, 11:55 AM
among others

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Ath-uh-NAY-um. We had an editor at our conference two years ago. (I said it wrong before, too.)

And it's Bour-ette, though I have a hard time with this one, because I really, really want to make it French and say Bour-ay.

Is it just me, or does the publishing industry do this on purpose? Knopf, Houghton, Ath...  :stars
#14 - January 02, 2010, 12:04 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
The "G" in Giroux is a softer "zhe-roo" rather than a harder "J" as in "jam".

Exactly.  I actually had /zh/ first, then changed it, then tried to think of a word that exemplified it, came up with garage, realized some people pronounce that word differently, and gave up. :)
#15 - January 02, 2010, 12:19 PM
among others

I was fairly certain Knopf  is pronounced Nopf as in silent K. 
Giroux-Jirow
Houghton-Mifflin - Howton-Mifflin  or Hockton-Mifflin

It really does depends on where you live. :outhouse
#16 - January 02, 2010, 12:28 PM

ecb

I always have to laugh about Houghton, because I asked my agent this question ages and ages ago (Is it HOE-ton, HOW-ton, HUFF-ton, or something else?).  The funny thing is that when I first started working conferences, I called Houghton for a box of Clarion catalogues, and the receptionist who answered the phone said, "Hoo-ton Mifflin, how can I help you?" :dr

I also say/have heard ath-en-AY-um.  And not that anybody asked, but just in case, it's Arthur A. Luh-VEEN.  (I had thought it was Luh-VINE.)

Now.  Anyone know how to pronounce Larbalestier?
#17 - January 02, 2010, 02:26 PM

Lollygagger
Poster Plus
Ath-uh-NAY-um. We had an editor at our conference two years ago. (I said it wrong before, too.)

And it's Bour-ette, though I have a hard time with this one, because I really, really want to make it French and say Bour-ay.

Is it just me, or does the publishing industry do this on purpose? Knopf, Houghton, Ath...  :stars

Thanks Joni!

Gotta say, I'm having a great giggle over this thread.  :giggle It feels too good knowing I'm not the only one who didn't know how to say any of these names! I was always too scared to ask.
#18 - January 02, 2010, 03:41 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Ah -- I got the ATH-e-NEE-um from a writer who spoke at a conference. But I'm Midwest and so was he, so maybe that enters in. Anyway, this topic reminds me of a funny article published by The Horn Book some time ago, about how to pronounce author names.

While we're at it, Delacorte doesn't sound the final e, right? I had a crit partner once who had industry connections who pronounced it Del-a-cor-tay.
#19 - January 02, 2010, 03:57 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
This thread is awesome!

I pronounced Michael Bourret with a French pronunciation in my head until I heard an online (radio) interview with him and the interviewer pronounced it Burret (yeah, kinda like barrette). 

This is too funny...
#20 - January 02, 2010, 04:04 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Ooh, you know what I just remembered?  There's a website (ecb's on it, right?) where you can hear author's pronounce their own names.  Anybody remember the link?

Edited:  Here 'tis.  http://www.teachingbooks.net/pronunciations.cgi
#21 - January 02, 2010, 04:34 PM
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:38 PM by jodyjensenshaffer »
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

While we're on the subject...

How exactly do you pronounce Dystel and Goderich?  It could be "dis-tell and Go-der-ich" or "Dye-stel and God-er-ich" or a combination of the two.  Anyone?
#22 - January 02, 2010, 04:37 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Dye-stel. I'm not positive, but I think Goderich is "rich" rather than "rick." (Anyone know for sure?) And yeah, no EEE on Delacourte. ;)

I've heard Larbalestier pronounced by a bookstore owner, pretty much how it looks except "lester," silent i at the end, but I'm not sure that's as reliable as knowing how JUSTINE pronounces it!

Now if I could just get a few certain people (like my longtime dentist) to pronounce MY name right, ha ha...
#23 - January 02, 2010, 04:45 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Okay, Jody, that's a great site! A lot of names are German (or German-looking Yiddish), and I generally pronounce them accordingly. Well, I sure am wrong!

So glad to know how to say Giroux. I always call them FSG in my mind--or just picture their little logo. Now I can actually talk about them!
#24 - January 02, 2010, 04:47 PM

Now if I could just get a few certain people (like my longtime dentist) to pronounce MY name right, ha ha...

Yeah, I have that problem as well.  A lot.  For the record, ee-LISS-uh (EE-LISS-uh works, too).  Now you all know.  :yup

And *sheepish grin* I had to be told how to pronounce your name, too, Joni.  I still want to call you Joan-ee and not John-ee. 
#25 - January 02, 2010, 04:59 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
It seems to me that Justine Larbalestier did a blog entry one time on how to pronounce her name and I think the upshot of it was that she didn't care how you say it.  But I could be misremembering . . .
#26 - January 02, 2010, 06:23 PM
among others

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I've dealt with a lot of mispronouncing of my name, too.  I'm used to it.
#27 - January 02, 2010, 06:31 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
among others

And this is exactly why I wanted to go with a pen name...a very straightforward, easily pronounceable pen name.
#29 - January 02, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

novaren

I pronounced Michael Bourret with a French pronunciation in my head until I heard an online (radio) interview with him and the interviewer pronounced it Burret (yeah, kinda like barrette). 

This is too funny...

Yes, Bour-rette, hard T.

Poor Michael!

While we're on the subject...

How exactly do you pronounce Dystel and Goderich?  It could be "dis-tell and Go-der-ich" or "Dye-stel and God-er-ich" or a combination of the two.  Anyone?

Dis-till (not dye) and Godd-er-rich (god, not go; rich not rick)
#30 - January 03, 2010, 11:25 AM

Members: