SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How do you pronounce...?

Discussion started on

ABailey

Is that "egg" or "aig" (which is how people around here pronounce egg)?   :whistle (just kidding, :hahaha

LOL, reminds me of dog training in the south (in 4-H.) I'm not from here but have been here for a looong time. And the other trainer was from Arizona. It took us a while to catch on. Did you know that in the south 'sit' and 'down' have two syllables? It's "See-it" and "Day-own". No wonder the poor dogs were so confused. The kids were giving them totally different commands than we were. And if one of them wanted to work with our dogs, they had to learn to say sit and down or our dogs completely ignored them. 
#61 - January 04, 2010, 06:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Grace Maccarone...  Anyone?
#62 - January 04, 2010, 09:57 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I am so glad I'm not the only one who says skibwee! Yay! I'm not alone! Who has the time to pronounce seven syllables, for crying out loud? Ooh, I also like the Australian "Squibby". Sounds like a lovable character in an undersea adventure. :)

Or maybe I'll simply call it "The Society" -- sounds mysterious, doesn't it.  :skull
#63 - January 04, 2010, 10:07 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
To weigh in late on the Houghton Mifflin discussion, my housemate worked for Houghton Mifflin, and he always said HOE-ton MIFF-lin.
#64 - January 04, 2010, 10:30 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

MaudeStephany

And here in BC, there is CWILL (the Canadian branch of SCBWI) which I have been assured is NOT said "SWILL" but "Quill"  sigh (ducking and running)

Maude  :frog
#65 - January 04, 2010, 10:55 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I always have to laugh about Houghton, because I asked my agent this question ages and ages ago (Is it HOE-ton, HOW-ton, HUFF-ton, or something else?).  The funny thing is that when I first started working conferences, I called Houghton for a box of Clarion catalogues, and the receptionist who answered the phone said, "Hoo-ton Mifflin, how can I help you?"

I listened to an editor from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt at a conference once, and she also pronounced it Hoo-ton.

Laurel  :milkshake
#66 - January 04, 2010, 11:15 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
This thread is cracking me up!  So, in the spirit of procrastination, I have two little stories to share.

1) I grew up in SD, IA, MN, and WI.  I love WI - but the people there say things WEIRD.  Fr Ex: My maiden name is Miller.  I had NEVER had to spell that for someone until we moved to WI.  They pronounce Mueller the same as Miller, so they didn't know which way to spell it.  Oy.  They also call water fountains "bubblers."

2) I can't let my husband do spelling words with my first grade son anymore because he says "set" when he means "sit."  He was getting frustrated with my son the other night because he was writing "pen." The word was "pin."  Oy again.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who says skibwee! Yay! I'm not alone! Who has the time to pronounce seven syllables, for crying out loud? Ooh, I also like the Australian "Squibby". Sounds like a lovable character in an undersea adventure. :)

Or maybe I'll simply call it "The Society" -- sounds mysterious, doesn't it.  :skull

I LOVE "The Society!"  LOL
#67 - January 04, 2010, 12:11 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I listened to an editor from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt at a conference once, and she also pronounced it Hoo-ton.

Laurel  :milkshake

Ha, Larissa--I was just going to ask if the editor in question could have been from Minnesota.
#68 - January 04, 2010, 12:12 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I love WI - but the people there say things WEIRD.  Fr Ex: My maiden name is Miller.  I had NEVER had to spell that for someone until we moved to WI.  They pronounce Mueller the same as Miller, so they didn't know which way to spell it.  Oy.  They also call water fountains "bubblers."

Haha, guilty on all counts! Did you live in the Fox Valley, by chance? "Bubbler" was very local to there, at least at first.
#69 - January 04, 2010, 02:57 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Haha, guilty on all counts! Did you live in the Fox Valley, by chance? "Bubbler" was very local to there, at least at first.

LOL - Milwaukee area.  I won't even tell you about the looks I got for calling soda "pop."  You'd think I'd farted the National Anthem or something. 
#70 - January 04, 2010, 03:06 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
You got looks for calling soda "pop"? Well, I guess that's Fox Valley, too. Everybody here calls it pop. My parents, who moved to the area from closer to Milw, called it soda. When my husband was a kid, they took a long road trip out West and stopped at some gas station in Montana and asked for "pop." The man was totally mystified and then the light bulb went on: "Oohhh. SO-dy." :)
#71 - January 04, 2010, 03:10 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
My parents, who moved to the area from closer to Milw, called it soda.

Yeah, the Milwaukee area thinks it's uber-sophisticated.  It's actually amusing.
#72 - January 04, 2010, 04:25 PM

1) I grew up in SD, IA, MN, and WI.  I love WI - but the people there say things WEIRD.  Fr Ex: My maiden name is Miller.  I had NEVER had to spell that for someone until we moved to WI.  They pronounce Mueller the same as Miller, so they didn't know which way to spell it.  Oy.  They also call water fountains "bubblers."

My maiden name is Mueller, and I grew up in WI. I just kept correcting everyone. It's myoo-ler people!
#73 - January 04, 2010, 05:34 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Around here, Mueller is "Miller." But the Olympic skater Peter Mueller from WI was a "Myoo-ler." I guess we're just a confused lot. :) My guess would be that a mixture of German, English, and phonetic pronunciation is at work, plus translation to boot. I know that my own last name is pronounced differently in different parts of the country (heck, my first name, too), so even educated guesses don't compare with getting a pronunciation from the horse's mouth. It's my hope that agents and others will put pronunciation info in their "about our agents" write-up on their sites if they need to, because it's rather human nature to avoid people whose names we can't pronounce. How silly would we feel getting an agent whose name we can't say? If we have any doubt, the suggestion someone else made makes sense: call the receptionist and ask. They've no doubt gotten the question before, anyway.
#74 - January 04, 2010, 06:01 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

I wonder how they feel about our last names. Mine was fine until I got married. :)
#75 - January 05, 2010, 04:13 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

I wonder how they feel about our last names. Mine was fine until I got married. :)
You could have kept your unmarried name! 
Does anyone have problems with my name: Griffin.  It is constantly being spelt incorrectly and drives nuts!
#76 - January 05, 2010, 05:56 AM

That is true. I could've and perhaps should've. But it is too late now. Some say it is poetic. I say it is phonetic. Alas, hindsight is twenty-twenty.

"Griffin" sounds regal to me. Or of noble clan. Scottish?
#77 - January 05, 2010, 06:01 AM
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:39 AM by AE »

Illustration website:

Nope, irish.  A prehistoric mythological monster with the  body of a lion and head and wings of an eagle.  Kind of reminds me of a cross between Sam :violin the Eagle and my deceased grandfather.  They both gave me the creeps when I was a kid! :violin
#78 - January 05, 2010, 06:39 AM

ABailey

Don't even get me started on my name. My parents stuck me with TWO names no one could spell or pronounce. I was so happy to get married and have the last name Bailey. No one can misspell that, right? Wrong?

Many years ago I worked at a catalog company and we had to give our first names. Mine's Alita. Some people would spell it back to me for some strange reason. It got to a point where I always said yes, that's it, no matter what they said. They always seemed to feel so smart for getting it right on the first try.

#79 - January 05, 2010, 08:39 AM

They always seemed to feel so smart for getting it right on the first try
:hahaha

I was happy to finally get a common last name too. Nobody could spell or pronounce my old name. But even now, sometimes people spell my name "Murry" instead of "Murray". You just can't win.
#80 - January 05, 2010, 08:59 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

You just can't win.

No, kidding.  Though I have Hollywood to thank for both getting my name wrong, and having a good way to help people get it right.

"Like Tom Cruise?"  people always say.

I now answer, "Nope.  Like Penelope Cruz."

HA!
#81 - January 05, 2010, 10:41 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I love having an ordinary name.

Anne Marie/AnneMarie/Anne-Marie/Ann-Marie/AnnMarie/Ann Marie/Anna Maria/Mary Ann/Mary Beth/Mary Sue/Jim Bob
#82 - January 05, 2010, 10:46 AM
among others

We used to call him Bim Job.
And then there were his sisters Watermelon and Errand.
And John Girl. (We were so mean my brother,sister and I. But we watched that show every week... couldn't wait to tear down every episode.)
#83 - January 05, 2010, 11:26 AM

Illustration website:

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
You just can't win.

The day I saw the name "Michael" spelled "Mykle," I realized that ANY name can be misspelled (or mispronounced) because people are forever making up alternatives and you can't assume. But you're really in a pickle when people spell your name wrong by spelling it right. Parents who would do this to a child totally mystify me and I think they should be sentenced to a forced legal name change using the most outrageous spelling of their names that can be dreamed up by a jury of their peers -- but that's a whole other thread.

But I loved the family who named their dog Fido, spelled "Phydeau."
#84 - January 05, 2010, 12:45 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland

Funny, I though "bubbler" was a New Englandism--it's what I grew up saying in MA.  And it's "soda" here, too.

ETA: "Phydeau"--LOVE IT!!
#85 - January 05, 2010, 12:55 PM
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:57 PM by Marissa Doyle »
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Marcia,

You said your name was hard to pronounce, but you didn't say how to pronounce it.

I would guess HER-nuh, but without the R, kind of umlaut-y German-ish????

Anne Marie Pah-chay (just kidding.  It's PACE like SPACE CADET)
#86 - January 05, 2010, 01:02 PM
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Funny, I though "bubbler" was a New Englandism--it's what I grew up saying in MA.

No kidding? Cool! And doesn't "bubbler" make perfect sense? :)

Anne Marie, my last name is pronounced HAY-nee. We've gotten our share of Green Acres jokes. Out in CO, where there's a tiny town by that name, they say "HOE-nee." We stopped there while on our honeymoon out west, and were a little bummed that the pronunciation was different. The guy that founded the town is on my husband's family tree, though. Yes, I'm sure the "real German" pronunciation is just as you say.

And I was kind of hoping I was right to read your name as Pace, like race, but we know where "assume" gets us.

When my son and DIL got married, there were two unrelated women in the wedding with the same last name. Same spelling, pronounced differently!
#87 - January 05, 2010, 01:13 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Mike Jung

People are forever mispronouncing my last name - the fully Anglicized pronunciation uses a hard J sound, so it's "Jung" as in the first half of "Jump" and the second half of "Lung." The first attempt is almost always "Young" or "Yoong," however. Numerous people have asked me in person if I'm related to Carl Jung, despite the fact that I'm clearly not of white European descent...
#88 - January 05, 2010, 01:15 PM

:dr, Mike.
#89 - January 05, 2010, 01:18 PM

Illustration website:

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Oh dear. This thread got started to ask how to pronounce names we KNEW we couldn't pronounce. What we've learned is that we can't pronounce the stuff we think we can. Yup, I certainly read your last name as "Young."  
#90 - January 05, 2010, 01:20 PM
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: