#91 - January 05, 2010, 01:23 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

My maiden name is Ha
My married name is Oh
The biggest mistake I made was hyphenating the name on one of my cards because I was too lazy to switch officially to Oh.

Ha-Oh is apparently the hardest thing in the world to pronounce.

May I speak to Haaaaaoooooohh?
Heyyo?
Hawho?
Haho?
Hooowww?

I would laugh my butt off.

#92 - January 05, 2010, 01:32 PM
PROPHECY: Prophecy Series (January 2, 2013)
WARRIOR (winter 2014)
KING (winter 2014)
HarperTeen

http://ellenoh.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
People are forever mispronouncing my last name - the fully Anglicized pronunciation uses a hard J sound, so it's "Jung" as in the first half of "Jump" and the second half of "Lung." The first attempt is almost always "Young" or "Yoong," however. Numerous people have asked me in person if I'm related to Carl Jung, despite the fact that I'm clearly not of white European descent...
[/quote

Oh dear. I always think of you as Mike Young. (and I'm always thinking of you, Mike. We can't go on meeting like this....) FWIW, there was a Betsy Jung in my high school class who pronounced it with a hard J, and she clearly WAS of white European descent.

#93 - January 05, 2010, 02:15 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I sure hope her name is VER-lah KAY, don't you?  :crazy

Heh heh.  I'll let her weigh on that one. :)
#94 - January 05, 2010, 02:43 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Mike Jung

Oh dear. I always think of you as Mike Young. (and I'm always thinking of you, Mike. We can't go on meeting like this....) FWIW, there was a Betsy Jung in my high school class who pronounced it with a hard J, and she clearly WAS of white European descent.

No worries, Anne, I'm pretty used to it, and I do think the English spelling of my family name (despite being a common one) is a bit misleading. The Korean pronunciation is a soft "j-ch" sound - sorta halfway between - so it could easily have been Anglicized as "Chung" instead of "Jung."
#95 - January 05, 2010, 03:24 PM

I'm tinkin' I might yuse me maiden name fer me bewks.
#96 - January 06, 2010, 05:44 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

My fellow irish citizens in Dublin will love you, AE.  You have their banter to a tee.
#97 - January 06, 2010, 06:26 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
I love saying Justine Larbalestier's name, but prob say it wrong. But I like the way it sounds when I say it, so I don't want to know how one really says it. :)

People tell me I say my own name wrong - I say "Ginny" instead of "Jenny." Slightly embarrassing. But hey, my maiden name is Mckissack, and I always get that right!
#98 - January 06, 2010, 07:34 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

People tell me I say my own name wrong - I say "Ginny" instead of "Jenny." Slightly embarrassing.

You can say your name any way you want! It's your name. If you say it's pronounced 'Suzie,' then that's how it's pronounced.
#99 - January 06, 2010, 12:45 PM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

You can say your name any way you want! It's your name. If you say it's pronounced 'Suzie,' then that's how it's pronounced.

:applause

I can just imagine....

Me: "E-L-I-S-S-A."

Someone else: "How do you pronounce that?"

Me: "Suzie."

:dr :dr :dr :dr

#100 - January 06, 2010, 01:30 PM

:dr
#101 - January 06, 2010, 01:34 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus

Hey, you're right! It's my name. Giiiiiiiinnnnny! :)
#102 - January 06, 2010, 01:52 PM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Tanks Tundrin.

#103 - January 06, 2010, 02:14 PM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I love saying Justine Larbalestier's name, but prob say it wrong. But I like the way it sounds when I say it, so I don't want to know how one really says it. :)

LOL. I followed that link to the page where all the authors say their names, and there were a lot of surprises for me! If you have a name that looks remotely German, plan on me addressing you that way if we ever meet in person! (Ms. SHTEEF-fahter, yes, I'm talking to you! ;) )
#104 - January 06, 2010, 02:31 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hey, I always want to say SHTEEF-fahter, too, so somebody fill me in!
#105 - January 06, 2010, 04:40 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest

When I was going by Megan people used to correct me on the pronunciation of my name all the time! I would say "Meggan", they would look puzzled and ask me to spell it, I would do so, and they would then say "Oh, you mean Meeeegan." No, actually, I don't.

As I said earlier, this is one reason why I published as Meg, just to avoid the issue. But recently someone introduced me as "Meeeg", which is unfathomable to me. And my publisher has been spelling my surname incorrectly in promotional materials. I think I'm going to have to learn to, as my daughter says, a la Madagascar, just 'smile and wave'. :)
#107 - January 06, 2010, 06:03 PM

Here ya go, straight from her own mouth: http://www.teachingbooks.net/pronounce.cgi?aid=11591

I was on board with Knopf and Houghton and Giroux and even McElderry, but then WHAM! Steve-otter? Nooooooo!!!!!!!! Please tell me that was someone impersonating you and it really is Shteef-fahter!

Olmue, if we ever meet in person, feel free to pronounce my name correctly! (it's Goering, although when I was in Germany, people often thought they had misheard and called me Doering instead. It's kind of like being named Hitler.)
#108 - January 08, 2010, 09:00 PM
WHISTLING WINGS
Sylvan Dell, July 2008

ABailey

I was on board with Knopf and Houghton and Giroux and even McElderry, but then WHAM! Steve-otter? Nooooooo!!!!!!!! Please tell me that was someone impersonating you and it really is Shteef-fahter!

Olmue, if we ever meet in person, feel free to pronounce my name correctly! (it's Goering, although when I was in Germany, people often thought they had misheard and called me Doering instead. It's kind of like being named Hitler.)

Which begs the question, Isn't there anyone else in the world with the last name Hitler? If so, I feel for them. If you google Hitler and go in a hundred pages, THE Hitler is still all you find. hmmm
#109 - January 09, 2010, 06:46 AM

Maybe it is because they would not want to associate themselves?

One curious question:
Has anyone come up against mispronunciation in modern technology? 
I had an mp3 player a few years back where the display was aging.  One song which should have read Prosperity and Beauty ended up as Property and Batty.  There were  some other quirky titles to go with it.  Sometimes I didn't bother looking at the display, I wouldn't have been able to make them out anyway.
#110 - January 09, 2010, 11:24 AM

I'm reviving this useful thread because I'd like to know if anyone knows how to pronounce Kiffin Steurer's last name. He's an editor at Philomel. Thanks for your help!
#111 - March 06, 2012, 11:10 AM

Yama, Yama, Red Pajamas.  I will never learn to say otherwise.

On the publisher front, I heard someone get a little agitated about the ALA awards (Don't they always?  The people reading the awards seem to pronounce the publishers and authors in all kinds of ways) about Hachette Book Group.  Apparently, the proper pronunciation is just plain "HAchet."  Nothing fancy, like "haSHETT."

Someone mentioned something about David Levithan the other day and I realized that I'd always thought of him as "David Leviathan."  I'm sure he's heard that one before (sorry, David!).  But now I'm wondering how to really pronounce it.  Can someone tell me--is it LEH-vih-thun?

I have a French surname, but nobody has ever seriously pronounced it with a French pronunciation in front of me.  Maybe if I won an award.
#112 - March 06, 2012, 11:39 AM

CaroleB

How do you say "Hyman".

True story: I once typed a resume for my husband addressed to a Mr. Hyman. I spelled it Hymen. I spelled it how it sounded. Stupid me.
       Needless to say, he did not get the job.
#113 - March 06, 2012, 11:49 AM

jeffman

My wife used to be very naive. She worked retail before we got married, and I once heard her telephone a customer whose last name was Kuntz. Oh yes. Even in German, the name is always pronounced with an "oo" sound, and many Americans have changed the spelling thus, so as to avoid the unpleasant. When I explained it to the poor dear, she was mortified.

Anon, if no one answers to the contrary, I would go with "Stoy-er." I've met folks before with names like that, and they all drop the first "r."
#114 - March 06, 2012, 12:06 PM

Members: