SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Gymnastics

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I have no background in gymnastics, but the project I'm currently revising involves acrobatics (being done at a Cirque du Soleil-style intergalactic circus).

Anyways, I have one bit where the MC crosses a short stretch of floor while doing what is meant to be an impressive floor routine to demonstrate that she knows what she's doing. Scouring various internet sights I came up with:

three bounding steps, front handspring step out, round off, back handspring, full twisting layout

But I don't know if that really makes sense. Or if it's actually impressive. If anyone out there knows something about gymnastics and can correct this or make suggestions I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you!!
#1 - January 17, 2010, 04:02 PM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

vklibrarian

I took gymnastics from the time I was seven until I was twelve and competed at a junior level.  The sequence you described does make sense.  It's not olympic-level tumbling or anything, but it's still impressive.  My only suggestion (to make it more impressive) would be to change the front handspring to a front tuck. 
#2 - January 18, 2010, 07:41 AM

Poster Plus
Thank you vklibrarian!
#3 - January 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
Circus Galacticus
Fortune's Folly
The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

ctmac

Regarding your gymnastic post.  I have a son who is a level 10 gymnast, and I have a upper middle-grade novel called Strap Bar coming out on the topic in October.  I took the approach of using metaphors to explain the moves instead of quoting a gymnastic rule book.  For instance, the moment before a kid casts on highbar is called a front support.  I called it a human teeter-totter. 
#4 - August 20, 2011, 11:55 AM

Members: