SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Popcorn Online Magazine, Not a Paying Market at Present

Discussion started on

AnnI

lJust a head's up here. Took a look at Popcorn's online site again as I had submitted there about 6 months ago. Two pieces of mine were up but I had never been paid the $75 per that is listed online. I called the editor and she said that she was considering posting material without paying. I maintained that the website read differently. She said she'd take my work off if I liked but I think since she used it, I'm entitled to a paycheck. I see now that she took the work off so I doubt a check will find its way to my mailbox soon. Wanted to issue this warning to those of you who might consider sending material her way.

Ann
#1 - January 28, 2010, 05:51 AM

MaudeStephany

Thanks for the warning, annI - and just a suggestion - send her an invoice for use of your material as she did, indeed, use them and you are, by law, entitled to payment for use. If she refuses to pay and to change the information re: payment on the website, report her to Preditors and Editors (and Writer's Weekly, who also take folks like this to task).

Good luck!
Maude  :frog
#2 - January 28, 2010, 07:54 AM

MaudeStephany

I also meant to say that you need to do a screenshot (or capture) of the magazine's submission guidelines, in case the magazine tries to get out of paying altogether by suddenly changing their payment options. You subbed to them thinking that you would get paid $75 for your work, and their use of your work constitutes acceptance of your material. You are, by law, entitled to payment for your work. Again, invoice them for the full amount for the work that they DID have up (and even though they have removed it NOW, it doesn't mean that it still isn't in their archives or database).

Google yourself and/or the articles to make certain that they are, indeed, completely off the 'net (and do so every month, it's just good practice)

Must run - but hope this helps you ... and now I must check them out to see if they used my work without payment ... .SIGH

#3 - January 28, 2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up as well as the advice. I sent something to them a few months ago so I'd better contact them to withdraw my submission.
#4 - January 28, 2010, 08:43 AM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

lisagailgreen

Wow - thanks for the heads up on that one!
#5 - January 28, 2010, 08:59 AM

MaudeStephany

FYI, I went to the popcorn online magazine for children today just to take a look at their "submission guidelines" - and guess what - it states specifically that any submissions are supposed to be from CHILDREN, not adults, and that they do not pay for anything submitted to them.

Good luck!

#6 - January 28, 2010, 09:05 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
But then there's this: http://www.popcornmagazine.net/submitGuides.php

That's a bummer, AnnI--hope you get your money! 
#7 - January 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

It's definitely still there stating the payment. I just wonder if they were using any other stories that were submitted without payment? I'd submitted a couple last year and then never heard anything...  and haven't looked at their website in months. It appears there are only a couple of stories there now, so I wonder if they pulled a bunch, realizing they were in violation of their payment policies?

Good luck, Ann. This is just plain wrong what they're doing.

#8 - January 28, 2010, 01:15 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I'm really sorry about your experience with Popcorn. Sounds unethical, to say the least. Sure hope you can collect payment. I submitted a short story to them last May and never heard anything, even after inquiring in early December. Finally a couple weeks ago, I sent them an email withdrawing the manuscript from consideration. Sure glad I did that now. Again good luck.

Guy

#9 - January 30, 2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Tracy Vonder Brink

Yes, thanks for the heads-up, although I'm sorry this happened to you!  I submitted a short story in August and never heard anything back, so I'm just going to withdraw it.

Thanks again,
Tracy
#10 - January 30, 2010, 08:31 PM

When I submitted to Popcorn almost a year ago, I was under the impression that they going to be a print mag again.  No?

AnnI, where did you see your pieces on the site?  I can't seem to find any pieces to read at all.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks,
buglady
#11 - January 31, 2010, 08:14 AM

AnnI

On the main page there is a place that says, Read A Story. Click that. The other two stories are still there. Wonder now if the authors of those pieces were compensated.

Best to all,

Ann
#12 - February 01, 2010, 10:08 AM

Ah, I see it.

I e-mailed them last night and asked them to withdraw my pieces and let me know immediately if they had published them without my knowledge.  (Like everyone else, I never heard anything back.)  I think that the online submission form (the one for kids...a non-paying market) and their submissions page for authors are extremely confusing, and I think that more people need to express their dissatisfaction.

Good luck with this, Ann.

buglady
#13 - February 01, 2010, 04:02 PM

BillyB

I just noticed that my story, Leap Frog, is in the current issue.  I was never informed that my story was accepted for publication and I never recieved any payment.
#14 - February 01, 2010, 07:06 PM

PiaSurligneur

Billy B,
Did you contact the magazine?  What was their response?  I subbed to them about a year ago and haven't heard anything.  I asked for an update months ago, without response.  Now I am going to make sure my story is withdrawn. 
#15 - February 04, 2010, 09:27 AM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:38 AM by PiaSurligneur »

Poster Plus
I wonder just how long this has been going on and if some of you that sent your work in months ago have already had it posted and removed without your knowledge. Frightening.
#16 - February 04, 2010, 09:59 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

PiaSurligneur

I emailed them several days ago with my request asking to provide an update on the status of my submission.  No reply.  I think they will be getting a lot of emails from writers wondering "what's up" with their unfair practices.
#17 - February 06, 2010, 10:57 AM

BillyB

I emailed them seveal days ago.  So far no reply.
#18 - February 11, 2010, 12:01 AM

PiaSurligneur

Does anyone know the name of the managing editor of Popcorn?
#19 - February 18, 2010, 09:21 AM

charlene coleman -- that's the only  name at the magazine I know.
#20 - February 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

PiaSurligneur

Thanks Jan,
I still haven't received a reply to my note, asking to withdraw my story.  Has anyone else heard anything?  There doesn't appear to be much change in their website, although I still see Billy B.'s story up there.

#21 - June 08, 2010, 12:22 PM

BillyB

Yes, my story is still up the last time I checked.
#22 - September 13, 2010, 09:16 PM

PiaSurligneur

Still haven't received the courtesy of a reply. 
Not impressed.
#23 - October 11, 2010, 12:40 PM

It looks like that now you can only view the stories and articles by buying a copy of the magazine on-line.

Never mind: I found the stories that you can view on-line. Billy's is still there.
http://www.popcornmagazine.net/story.php
#24 - October 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:20 PM by write2inspire »
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

Members: