SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Prada and Prejudice

Discussion started on

I'm too tired to write a lengthy review right now, but I'll offer a few pithy observations about Mandy Hubbard's Prada and Prejudice.

--This must be the absolute hardest kind of YA novel to write: no violence, no deaths, no profanity, and no sex (but plenty of romance).

--Mandy has succeeded in pulling it off. Especially for a reader who is a fan of Pride and Prejudice, it's a joy to follow Callie/Rebecca through her highs and lows.

--Each character is complex and fully drawn. There are many surprises, especially for Rebecca, and the reader fully shares them with her.

--Many YAs seem to be written by someone whose view of human nature is less than rosy. Ms. Hubbard's doesn't seem to be rosy, but it certainly is hopeful. Even a week or more after I read the story, I'd still think of it and get a warm feeling.

--Mandy said somewhere that she was rejected 20 or so times before she sold the book. This is a mystery to me, because Prada and Prejudice seems to be just about a perfect story for young teens. Twenty editors couldn't see this?

--I would like to see a sequel.
#1 - March 08, 2010, 08:57 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Member.
Poster Plus
Thank you for this review! This is on my list of things to read between classes or after I graduate.
#2 - July 28, 2010, 08:06 AM
YA reader/writer, ghostwriter, librarian.
Blueboard member since 2008

I would have to agree on all points having read this a while back.
#3 - July 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Aww. *warm fuzzies* You guys are SO NICE! :-) So glad you enjoyed it!!!
#4 - July 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
Agent with D4EO Lit
Published by Penguin & Flux:
PRADA & PREJUDICE
YOU WISH
BUT I LOVE HIM
RIPPLE
IN TOO DEEP
DANGEROUS BOY

Members: