SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Setting a Goal!

Discussion started on

MystiqueWriter1

Okay everyone,

I am getting ready to set my goal of finishing my Picture Book within the end of this week. I began it last Friday and it seems very easy to write. This is my goal and I am not trying to rush my pb to get it done but I always like setting challenges to do something! So by Friday I will announce it or not if my book is done!!  ;D ;D

Elaina
#1 - October 28, 2003, 09:45 AM
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 09:46 AM by MystiqueWriter1 »

Spring 2019: Precious Baby (Beaming Books) and Beep! Beep! Special Delivery (Clear Fork)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Hi Elaina!
Just thought I'd pipe in here.  One week is a short time to "be done" with a picture book.  For me, it takes more like one year (or more!)!  :o Then again, I prefer to work on several projects at once, alternating and revisiting them depending on the muse (and momentum.)  

That said, you MAY want to consider breaking your PB into smaller goals like:

-Writing a rough draft
-Reworking that rough draft to make it less rough
-Sharing with critique group or fellow writer
-Brainstorming alternate beginnings, or middles, or  endings (depending)
-Putting the text into dummy format to see... if there are enough visual opportunites for the illustrator...if there are exciting or interesting page turners....if each page moves the story forward
-Setting the ms aside so you can approach it with a fresh perspective
-etc, etc, etc

Of course, we all work and create differently...Just wanted to share my thoughts!  Good luck on your goal setting!  ;)
#2 - October 28, 2003, 01:53 PM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery / Precious Baby  / Huggle Wuggle, Bedtime Snuggle

MystiqueWriter1

Well I would announce my goal and I did not quite make it but I got up to twenty pages which is pretty good. But not yet done! But I felt like I accomplished more than ever.   ;D ;D

Elaina
#3 - October 31, 2003, 05:57 PM

Barbara Eveleth

I am with Della.  It usually takes 6 months to a year to finish a PB.  Put it away and revisit it periodically.  And revise perhaps dozens of times or more.  Get some feedback from a discerning and objective reader.  Work on a couple of things at once so that you don't get too attached to one thing.  That way you will keep your spirits up which is a necessity in this business.  I ususally work on 3 to 4 projects a year and paint and collage when I am not writing.  And I have a hectic life with three kids 7, 10 and 12.5.  And I coach middle schoolers with writing, and occasionally take an art class.  I have learned over the years not to pin hopes on one thing.  Keep on plugging and best of luck, Elaina.
#4 - November 01, 2003, 06:04 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Elaina,

When you said twenty pages and you're not done yet, did you mean twenty typewritten pages?

That's about 5000 words.  Most picture books run 300-1000.  Maybe some go 1500.  

Or maybe I misunderstood?

Anne Marie
#5 - November 01, 2003, 06:32 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

MystiqueWriter1

The book is twenty pages but it does not have 5000 words. A normal pb should be 32 pages with a word lengeth of 500 to 1500 words. I am at 1014 words right now. Also I accomplished my book more quickly because I have been on vacation from my job for two weeks. Giving me  time to write my book and not worrying about my job. But a normal time of writing my pb is about four months but I have been working on my book for at least eight hours a day so I quickly accomplished more than before. Also 5000 words to me is simple and not really hard.
#6 - November 01, 2003, 07:34 AM

Members: