SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Pockets question

Discussion started on

Pockets' submission guidelines still state they provide an initial response within eight weeks. However, it seems as if they're not always sending bunny cards anymore, and their guidelines also say they can't respond to status inquiries. I submitted something for the November 2010 issue about five months ago and haven't heard anything---anyone else still waiting for that issue? Did you receive a card?  I think it's perfect for that issue, but want to get it out elsewhere if it's not going to be used (or never got there.)
#1 - March 14, 2010, 08:54 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I'd contact them. You may remember my goof of a few years ago, where I never heard from a contest entry, assumed it was rejected, and then somebody from this board I believe congratulated me on on my publication in Pockets. I had no idea. Since I moved shortly after entering the contest, I just figured my rejection got lost in the mail.

So check. Goofy things happen.

In my case, they were going by the old address in their system (from submissions before the contest entry), and did not update with the address on my entry.
#2 - March 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
They held a story of mine for 8 or 9 months before buying it. That was a few years ago, though, and they were still answering status queries then. I had sent one at the 5-6 month mark. You can contact them, but it sounds like you might not hear anything.
#3 - March 15, 2010, 06:58 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

After a longer than usual wait, I decided to status query Pockets on a story, even though guidelines state they don't respond. Like you, I thought my story was a perfect fit for the theme, and the due date was drawing to a close. Someone quickly responded by writing on my query letter that it had been received. Shortly after, I received a hold card. Still waiting to hear...

Good luck!  :smile
#4 - March 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

I didn't get around to SQing... and today got a contract in the mail for the August issue!
What a nice surprise!
#5 - March 24, 2010, 02:12 PM

Awesome news!!! Congrats!
#6 - March 24, 2010, 09:20 PM
www.amycobbwrites.wordpress.com

Twitter: @AmyCobbWrites

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Cindoh!!  Great news.   :broccoli

Yep, your experience is similar to mine.  They don't seem to be sending the bunny cards like they used to.  And acceptances seem to be running only about five months ahead of issue date, instead of the nine months they used to be.
#8 - March 26, 2010, 05:29 PM

Members: