SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

YAs for girls without romance

Discussion started on

mclicious
Poster Plus
Your request seems so simple, but it's quite a challenge! I think these may fit the bill:

13 LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES by Maureen Johnson
FEELING SORRY FOR CELIA by Jaclyn Moriarty
THE DECLARATION by Gemma Malley
THE HOUSE OF THE SCORPION by Nancy Farmer
HOLES by Louis Sachar
THE SCHOOL FOR DANGEROUS GIRLS by Eliot Schrefer

If these do have romance, I'm fairly certain that it's not the main part of the novel. I just went through my goodreads to find this list; a lot of these I haven't read in ages.
#31 - May 11, 2010, 11:23 AM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Flashing back to my inner 11 year-old self...with many thanks to you all for this thread!  Saw some old favorites listed and a few new ones I'm very curious to check out. :)

- t

#32 - May 20, 2010, 07:56 PM

teri

Mine?  The Line -- no romance at all.

I just went back and read that she is ten.  I think The Line would be okay, but it is a dystopia.  
#33 - May 20, 2010, 08:01 PM
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:02 PM by teri »

Donna Farley

Holes by Louis Sachar?

My daughter got me both the book & the movie for Mother's Day because she knows I'm a big fan of the movie and have been wanting to get round 2 reading the book too...the movie has romance, though, is it not in the book? It's not in the mc's present story, but in the historical back story....

And many of the books mentioned in the thread are ones I read and loved as a kid....because I didn't care for books 'for girls' but read Robert Heinlein and Jules Verne and ER Burroughs......
#34 - May 26, 2010, 05:46 PM

Members: