SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What have you heard about the market for historicals?

Discussion started on

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Fial,

Don't take a comment like that as reflecting the entire children's book market--which is large and diverse. Who said it? What kind of publisher do they work for, or if they are an agent, what kind of books are they representing? I look at a statement like this "Everyone is looking at YA esp for girls" and I think about the fact that that is true for some publishers, especially the larger, more bookstore-oriented ones, but that there are many publishers who have chased this trend only cautiously if at all, AND that there are many companies publishing picture books, middle-grade novels for boys, and, yes, historical fiction....

There can be advantages to writing in a niche that isn't "not"--starting with the competition being not quite so fierce.
#31 - February 07, 2010, 08:10 AM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Michaela MacColl

My YA tale about Princess Victoria in the year before she became queen went to an auction with 2 major houses and a prestigious boutique house.  I chose Chronicle. We are just getting to the jacket design and marketing discussions and the book is not being sold as HF, but as novel of romance and intrigue.  I'm fine with that, I just want people to read it! 

In the end, I think it's all about the story and the characters. Setting is a bonus.
#32 - February 07, 2010, 08:30 PM

JustWrite

Now that is cool. At the NY conference word on the street is that MG historical sells, but for YA historical to sell, there needs to be more to be some other dimension to the plot. Common wisdom is that teens don't choose to read historical.

And the witness to that conversation posted on here a few months ago. (Hey Jeff..fancy meeting you here. It's Lisa.) *pssst* his book will sell because it's amazing.

#33 - February 07, 2010, 08:43 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Now that is cool. At the NY conference word on the street is that MG historical sells, but for YA historical to sell, there needs to be more to be some other dimension to the plot.

I can see that. As a teacher, I'd choose a good MG historical to read aloud to my class, especially if it tied in with the Social Studies curriculum. But with teens--it's all them. I can't see high school English teachers choosing a book because it tied in with the history curriculum.  Just my .02.
#34 - February 08, 2010, 04:45 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
My YA tale about Princess Victoria in the year before she became queen went to an auction with 2 major houses and a prestigious boutique house.  I chose Chronicle. We are just getting to the jacket design and marketing discussions and the book is not being sold as HF, but as novel of romance and intrigue.  I'm fine with that, I just want people to read it! 

In the end, I think it's all about the story and the characters. Setting is a bonus.

Congratulations, Michaela! Awesome news! And YAY for historicals!

(Off-topic: Have you seen the movie "The Young Victoria"? We loved it!)
#35 - February 08, 2010, 05:04 AM
Jennifer Mckissack:
SANCTUARY, Scholastic Press

Jenny Moss:
TAKING OFF, Bloomsbury
SHADOW, Scholastic Press
WINNIE'S WAR, Bloomsbury

Michaela MacColl

Congratulations, Michaela! Awesome news! And YAY for historicals!

(Off-topic: Have you seen the movie "The Young Victoria"? We loved it!)

Jenny -- I just had a prepublication High Tea where we watched the movie afterwards. It was a blast. (I loved it too -- although I do think the movie made some of the mistakes that I think some HF manuscripts do -- so much politics, it got in the way of the characters).  But the clothes, the clothes!
#36 - February 09, 2010, 11:53 AM

Jeff Faville

Hey Lisa! It was great meeting you at the NY Conf., and you are too kind about my WIP... it needs a lot of work. I'm still interested in crashing one of your critique groups!

Back to HF: Write the story you want to tell. That's one of my mantras, and I "channel" my MC to do it. The NY Conf. was amazing because I was able to meet other HF writers and pester them them with questions. In fact, maybe i was too much of a pest...
#37 - March 08, 2010, 08:05 PM

Gerri

* I agree with Jeff., although thinking about the future publication of a WIP is daunting.  Sometimes, I just want to chuck the whole thing but I'm compelled to tell this story which is important to me personally as well as creatively.  Hang in there, everyone.  And congrats to those who have found a home for their stories. *
#38 - March 11, 2010, 04:58 PM

Members: