SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Getting your historical reviewed

Discussion started on

Donna Farley

Where are the best places for getting historical YA/MG reviewed?

I already have The Historical Novels Review and Booklist on the list.
#1 - April 12, 2010, 01:57 PM

I would just expect all the normal places-- kirkus, PW, SLJ, Booklist, horn book.
#2 - April 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
Agent with D4EO Lit
Published by Penguin & Flux:
PRADA & PREJUDICE
YOU WISH
BUT I LOVE HIM
RIPPLE
IN TOO DEEP
DANGEROUS BOY

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
My historical MG got reviewed in all the regular places along with Historical Novels Review and a mention on a website specifically devoted to that time period, so you might want to search out the latter.
#3 - April 13, 2010, 05:54 PM

Donna Farley

Thanks, people!
#4 - April 13, 2010, 06:37 PM

ecb

Also (and this applies to *any* book, not just historicals), CURSE was reviewed in specialty textile publications like "SpinOff Magazine," because of the woolen mill setting. So if you can think of outlets whose readership might cross with yours, definitely approach them. Almost every special-interest magazine has a book review section.
#5 - April 14, 2010, 03:38 PM

Michaela MacColl

I agree with the suggestion about speciality organizations. They are also great places to sell your books. A friend of mine wrote a MG novel, called The Ghost in Ally's Pool -- there was a ghost from the Mayflower. The author, Sari Bodi, had a family connection to person. She got some good press from all the groups who are fascinated by the Mayflower.

My book is about Queen Victoria -- and there are many groups fascinated by her.

Good luck!
#6 - April 14, 2010, 03:55 PM

Donna Farley

Thanks, ecb and Michaela!

Yes, I am already compiling a list of specialty publications. Though my publisher is American, the book's setting is the north of Britain, so we've noted some regional publications.
#7 - April 28, 2010, 09:25 PM

Members: