SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any One Writing a GN

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
I volunteer at my kids' school library. I asked the librarian today what books she wants but can't find enough of. She said graphic novels for the younger ages. She and other librarians can't seem to find enough for the earlier readers (K-3 I'm guessing since she had a lot for the 4th plus grades) and when they do, they share them around with other librarians. Wish I could come up with one, but sounds like there are people on this thread who could, so for what it's worth...
#31 - March 05, 2013, 09:35 AM
Seek ye out of the best books...
http://dewdropsofink.blogspot.com

kategoka

Funny you should ask....

We just got The Totally Awesome Epic Quest of the Brave Boy Knight by Pranas T. Naujokaitis (Blue Apple, 2011) from our local library. My young ones loves it.

Hope it's what you're looking for.
#32 - March 06, 2013, 11:38 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
Thanks! I'll pass it on.
#33 - March 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
Seek ye out of the best books...
http://dewdropsofink.blogspot.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Back in 2010 when this thread was originally posted the question was asked --
"I'm in the process of writing a graphic novel, a dark fantasy. Was wondering if anyone else is. This part of the board seems dead, so....maybe not."
-- I mentioned that I was developing an outline and script for a GN project of my own....

Since then, I was involved in Renae de Liz's "Womanthology: Heroic" all-ages project and then the "Womanthology:Space!" project http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38263
which will be out in HC in May 2013 (collecting all of the single 5 issues, of which I was an artist for a story in issue#1), both of which were published by IDW.

In addition to getting some practical experience in working with teams of writers and editors and meeting the publishers requirements, I went to the 2012 New York Comic-Con (NYCC) and I'm so glad I did!  Before, I was under the impression I needed to have everything (or at least a majority of) artwork and script completed...but then was dreading the possibility of having to do alot of rework because of editing and revision requests/suggestions by a prospective publisher.  Not necessarily.  :)  Nor do you have to have an agent.  And, I've narrowed down my list of publishers after sitting in panels and talking with people while at the conference.  So, I'd highly recommend attending SDCC or NYCC this year if anyone is thinking about submitting a story and/or art for a GN project and would like to learn more about the submission process and what publishers are seeking.

At the moment, I'm finally completing my YA urban fantasy graphic novel script based on the outline I had developed in 2010, which I'll be submitting this year to the publisher(s) I talked to at NYCC along with sample art and a few panel pages (I've been working with an editor friend on that as my first reader as well); and I also have a middle grade SF graphic novel outline which will go into further development this summer.  Additionally, I have an SF short story adaptation (all-ages) written by a favorite author that we're planning on releasing this year as a 4-issue mini series comic. 

It's great to read how others are progressing along as well with their GN projects!

- t
#35 - March 09, 2013, 08:59 AM

kategoka

Wowsee Wow Wow Wow, Tanja! With just a quick peak at your blog, you've made me a fan for life.

Your projects are amazing. I'm running out and getting them all asap. Heroines, heroines in space, urban fantasy... all in graphic novel form... you can't publish fast enough for my voracious appetite for this stuff.

And thanks for the concrete information on Comic Con and various publishers out there. I am at the very beginnings with my script, but it's always nice to have some next steps to look into.
#36 - March 09, 2013, 09:40 AM

Writer/Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
So, I'd highly recommend attending SDCC or NYCC this year if anyone is thinking about submitting a story and/or art for a GN project and would like to learn more about the submission process and what publishers are seeking.

Second this. I would also recommend attending almost any comic convention (of which there are MANY) where publishers will be attending/exhibiting as well. I've been lucky enough to have been involved with the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco and the National Cartoonist Society's Northern California chapter which allowed me access to many conventions and editors/publishers. Most conventions, and especially the bigger ones, will have portfolio reviews with publishers though so you don't even necessarily need connections. Having said that, networking in this business is extremely important so attending these shows in one capacity or another is a must!

I'll be at SDCC this year signing for my books coming out with Arcana Studios and Viper Comics. I'm also currently working on an OGN series with a writer friend of mine which we hope to have out by next year.
#37 - March 09, 2013, 11:42 AM
http://alexschumacherart.com/
World's Crummiest Umbrella (2014, Wandering in the Words Press)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Tanja, I just wanted to say I love your work! Some amazing talent in this thread!  :bow
#38 - March 09, 2013, 11:48 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Members: